• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Night time in Cartagena Hotel

How long will Abequa be out of position? Is the player likely to go in, she moves, the player leaves, then when the player returns she needs to still be in her new position? The reason I ask is that I also move her so that she's ready to intercept the player after he's talked to Mary Seacole, so the player won't get to the door before she offers information in exchange for a bottle. When the player leaves the hotel I return Abequa to the position upstairs, which will cause a problem if the player also tries to do something involving mysterious plants which requires Abequa to remain standing somewhere else.

You may get difficulties if players do the Mysterious Plants sidequest at the same time as the Cartagena part in the Ardent storyline.
Would have to be quite a coincidence for players to do both at the same time though.
There are probably a lot of other main/sidequests that can cause similar interference.... :unsure

As far as I know, there should be no interference between "Ardent" and any existing side quest. But then, I never realised that "Tales of a Sea Hawk" could conflict with "Strange Things Going On" at the point where you rescue Danielle from attackers in Isla Muelle / San Juan, despite having played them in parallel since the first time I discovered "Strange Things Going On" in the stock game, so what do I know? xD

The object of the above conversation with @Jack Rackham is precisely to try to prevent the "Mysterious Plants" side quest and "Ardent" from interfering with each other. :D It certainly would not be coincidence for a player who knows what's going to happen in both "Ardent" and "Mysterious Plants" to do both at once - in fact, I'd expect it, as it's efficient to use the one time Ardent travels all the way to Cartagena to do the side quest as well.

As far as I know, there should be no interference between "Ardent" and any existing side quest. But then, I never realised that "Tales of a Sea Hawk" could conflict with "Strange Things Going On" at the point where you rescue Danielle from attackers in Isla Muelle / San Juan, despite having played them in parallel since the first time I discovered "Strange Things Going On" in the stock game, so what do I know? xD
My point exactly. I don't know all possible points of interference either, but I assume there may be quite a lot that we don't (yet) know about it.

The object of the above conversation with @Jack Rackham is precisely to try to prevent the "Mysterious Plants" side quest and "Ardent" from interfering with each other. :D It certainly would not be coincidence for a player who knows what's going to happen in both "Ardent" and "Mysterious Plants" to do both at once - in fact, I'd expect it, as it's efficient to use the one time Ardent travels all the way to Cartagena to do the side quest as well.
For certain, if such interference can reasonably be prevented, then all the better! :cheers

How long will Abequa be out of position?
I'm using the window behind Abequa as an exit while completing the plants
things in the hotel. She will just be moved downstairs and put back
upstairs while you're still in the hotel.

Both our movings of Abequa could make trouble, so...

Could we have Abequa to always stay downstairs somewhere @GreyRoger?
If so I could use my new character to
1) block the window
2) move away from it => window exit enabled

Sounds like it'll be a busy hotel!
No surprise really, considering it's the ONLY one in the Caribbean. ;)

I'm using the window behind Abequa as an exit while completing the plants
things in the hotel. She will just be moved downstairs and put back
upstairs while you're still in the hotel.

Both our movings of Abequa could make trouble, so...

Could we have Abequa to always stay downstairs somewhere @GreyRoger?
If so I could use my new character to
1) block the window
2) move away from it => window exit enabled
I've no objection. Just tell me which locator you want Abequa to use, then I can change my code to put her back there. In fact, depending on where you put her downstairs, I might not need to move her at all. The only reason I move her now is to put her into position to talk to the player after he's spoken to Mary Seacole, and the only reason I then put her upstairs is to leave the hotel the way it was before Ardent walked in.

Another thought occurs to me. If Ardent walks into the hotel and talks to Mary Seacole, Abequa moves downstairs and initiates dialog with him. Provided Mary Seacole deals with Ardent's storyline stuff first, I could then have Abequa move back upstairs, then the player can do the "Mysterious Plants" stuff. You could then use Abequa as originally planned. (Do you plan to use Mary Seacole as well, or does the player go straight to Abequa for "Mysterious Plants"?)

Anyway, I'll leave the choice to you. Either way is fine by me.

Last edited:
Yes, but if you arrive at the hotel with only plants in mind I need a character to block the window.
This to 'explain' why the window is enabled as an exit later.

Is this position for Abequa ok from gamestart? Seacole is not moved. None of their dialogs changed.

Just for info: I have added rooms behind all 6 doors. They're supposed to be locked until the plants
events.

Attachments

• Abequa downstairs.jpg
    Abequa downstairs.jpg
    504.3 KB · Views: 67
Yes, but if you arrive at the hotel with only plants in mind I need a character to block the window.
This to 'explain' why the window is enabled as an exit later.
If you arrive at the hotel only for the plants then, as things are now, Abequa is blocking the window. If you arrive at the hotel to do Ardent's stuff then she moves and initiates dialog relevant to the story, then moves back. So either way, she's blocking the window for your purposes. However...

Is this position for Abequa ok from gamestart? Seacole is not moved. None of their dialogs changed.
... that works as well. She's right next to Mary Seacole, so once you've talked to Mary, Abequa is right there to play her part. If you upload your version of "PROGRAM\Characters\init\Colombia.c" with Abequa set to that locator, I'll modify my "quests_reaction.c" file to comment out the bits which move her around, as they'll then be redundant.

Just for info: I have added rooms behind all 6 doors. They're supposed to be locked until the plants
events.
Fair enough. Ardent has no business going anywhere else in the hotel for his own storyline, and about the first thing Mary Seacole says by default is that they're fully booked. As far as Ardent is concerned, those are all rooms occupied by guests.

Back