• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Noob questions (money & officers)

jaco

Powder Monkey
I've been playing build 14.2.1 for a few weeks, but I'm still mystified by a few things. Hope you don't mind spelling it out. Sorry if I'm being dumb, but here goes:

1. In the F2 character screen, there's a value for "crew money" on the right and another on the left (next to a bag of cash icon). Seems like my everyday loot, trade and reward money goes into the crew money, and stuff I buy comes out of it. But the other "wealth" also accumulates and I don't where it comes from or how to access it.

2, I'm still not clear about how officers' abilities affect the game. If an officer has an ability like "fast reload" and my main character doesn't, does the officer's reload ability come into play during a battle at sea?

3. Also, how do officer character stats affect the game? E.g. my first mate has better leadership stats than me so are his stats helping me control the crew? If he had good commerce stats, would that help me get better deals in trading?

:ahoy

1. The ship is organized as a Democracy. All money belongs to the ship. That is the "crew money" on the right. Then all crew members are paid out of that money. You are part of the crew too, so you get paid your Captains share. That is your "wealth". If you accumulate too much crew money the crew will begin to think you are holding out on them and morale will begin to drop. If you notice morale dropping for no reason take some of that money and put it in the ships chest.

2. An officers abilities do indeed affect the game. If you hire a good gunner while your accuracy and cannons skills are low you will notice your cannons become more accurate and fire faster.

3. Yes and yes.

Thanks Hylie. Very cool about the ship being a democracy, I hadn't thought of it like that before, but it makes sense if you're playing a buccaneer role.

One more thing though -- how do I access my personal wealth? I can see it sitting there but can't see how to spend it. All them lovely ship upgrades I could be ordering if I could just get at me hard earned doubloons!

One more thing though -- how do I access my personal wealth? I can see it sitting there but can't see how to spend it. All them lovely ship upgrades I could be ordering if I could just get at me hard earned doubloons!

I don't think you can access it - it just sits there like the land you get given - it might have been part of a mod, where you could use it for something but the mod never got completed.

:doff

Hmm If youre really intrested in getting money quick for upgrades you can try raiding the Pirate settlement in Nevis, and Concepcion. Great amount of money , he he he.

There IS a "donate wealth to crew" button in the interface. Press F2>Ship, then click on the "crew" icon.
This also allows you to change the crew rations and switch to "divide the plunder" mode.

The original idea was that "wealth" would be an indicator of how succesful you are, rather than money you are supposed to spend.
The wealth comes from the land that you have, though you're supposed to get some salary/part of the share as well if you don't have land.

The crew does NOT get envious if you have too much wealth. They get annoyed when the "crew money" is a lot.
After all, the "crew money" belongs to "the ship" and they do not get to spend it.
This feature is intended to encourage players to swap from "salary" mode to "divide the plunder" once they become very succesful.

For officer skills, they DO contribute, but only those skills that are correct for their officer type.
The highest skill level is used. For example, if you have cannons = 2,
gunner 1 has cannons = 4 and gunner 2 has cannons =5, the final skill will be "5".

Thanks for the info and clarification Pieter. I'd prefer a good ship to a high status bank account in this game, so I'll donate and spend.

@Buck, I think I'll stick to trade and smuggling rather than messing with pirates for now. I've been to Nevis twice on quest missions and got murdered both times just walking round the town. I think maybe they don't like Nat's mullet.

@jaco but really, once your officer's melee stats are high, raiding nevis would give you millions of gold :D

Do you mean by capturing ships or just attacking pirates in the street? i definitely need to practice melee fighting -- I always seem to get dogpiled with no time to take healing potions.

when you level up, you can get an ability to land troops. using that, you can capture the pirate town in nevis :)

Back