• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Officers get perks more than usual non-related to their class

HellSailor

Privateer
Storm Modder
Tested with latest version (6th February)

Whenever I hire an officer, I usually check his abilities before hiring him or her. While looking at them, I see that their abilities contributed to his class are missing, contrasting with their level. Instead, they put their points of skill in other non-related perks trhat they don't contribute to the ship. This problem is big, becuase in the Free Play Stroyline that I'm currently playing, more than 50% of my officers don't get appropiate skills for their level in their class. Instead, they choose randomly other perks.

Here you have two .zips with four savegames with three different officers in each one that have this problem mentioned. You just have to press F2, the character menu and see their abilities. Even so well-known officers, such as Fred Bob and Rys Bloom, are related to this problem.

Some considerations have to be mentioned first: In one of my savegames, there are three officers: Billy Brady, Bailey Austin and Francisco Amor.
  • Billy has very low skills for his level, and he has chosen the right abilities.
  • Bailey has abilities that are non-oriented to her class, so that's why she has low abilities on her class.
  • Francisco is a captured Spanish captain that turned into a Boatswain. Not sure if he has problems related to their skills, but I'll let it here. Also, btw: Why he has two of their skills marked in red? I am talking about the number on the left.
I hope that this can help. For what I have played, this is for me the most annoying bug that I have found.

Attachments

• Saves of officers (1).zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 81
  • Saves of officers (2).zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
Because the officer here being a bit "to good", a noncontribchance was added to the officertypes.
This determined how large the chance was they could pick a ability which they didn't contribute.
If you think these chances are to high for a certain officertype you can change them in:
..\PROGRAM\Characters\officertypes\init_officertypes.c

search for:
"noncontribchance"

You will see each officertype has this. change the number to what you think is right. If it's 0 they will only pick perks fit for them.

Because the officer here being a bit "to good", a noncontribchance was added to the officertypes.
This determined how large the chance was they could pick a ability which they didn't contribute.
If you think these chances are to high for a certain officertype you can change them in:
..\PROGRAM\Characters\officertypes\init_officertypes.c

search for:
"noncontribchance"

You will see each officertype has this. change the number to what you think is right. If it's 0 they will only pick perks fit for them.

Thanks for the clarification @Levis :)

If you got any better numbers please let me know. if just put there which I tought was good but if you think it should be balanced a bit please do.

I have changed some values, but not too much. To notice the effects, I should start a new campaign. If you're interested in seeing my values, you can ask me to upload that edited file.

Unfortunately I didn't have the time to change the numbers for a better balancing. I will check it whenever I have time.

@HellSailor and/or @anyone else: Does this seem to be an issue to you?
Is any rebalancing required? Or can this issue be archived?

Maybe a little bit rebalancing, but nothing important. Just a few changes or improvements to the system. With that way, officers would get more abilities oriented to their type class. It is good that there should exist some random abilities, but I think now it is a little too much.

EDIT: Uploaded my version of the archive Levis mentioned above. Not so many changes. I'm going to test it now with these new features to see how it is now.

Attachments

• init_officertypes.c
    31.5 KB · Views: 79
Maybe a little bit rebalancing, but nothing important. Just a few changes or improvements to the system. With that way, officers would get more abilities oriented to their type class. It is good that there should exist some random abilities, but I think now it is a little too much.
Thanks very much! :cheers

Back