• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

OK fellas the ship must sail on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith

Raping the Horses and Stealing the Women!
Staff member
Administrator
Guys,

It's quite apparent that I'm really not into developing the site anymore.

It's a priority thing now and I really need to either step out or do it properly and i think it's best that I step out.

This is mainly directed at Pieter whom I think would be the best to control the place but failing that mods should get first option.

I plan on handing the site over, FOC, with all the software and stuff.

The domain hosting is until March and after that it would be the responsibility of the new owner. All the domains can be transferred over to as well.

Please let me know.

Ouch; that's not good. I'm at sea for 2/3 of the year and haven't got too much of a clue on site hosting at all.
Additionally, I won't come back before March (it'll be end April), so can't look into it either at the moment.
Do you have any more information on what this would entail? I don't want our community to come to an end but am not sure what I could do.

revenue = 0, i've always paid out of my own pocket.

It's possible that i could keep the forum going, but not any of the files. And no news at all (not that you could tell much difference)

And it would be hosted locally to me (ala. Malaysia) That's the best I could offer.

We can use the ModDB for the big downloads, but it'd be nice to keep an FTP going for modding work sharing.

In any case, if I were to take over from you, what would I need to do and such?

Also, maybe we should discuss this in public a bit later, since it concerns us all.

Pieter, will ye then become de new Dread Pirate Roberts, matey!? :will

PIeter,

Not a lot really. Just need to arrange hosting (or just take over where it's hosted now, I can give you all the details)

That's really about it if you just want to keep it going. If you want to grow it, well that's a different story.

Public is fine :)

Also, just quickly, I removed all reply and posting rights to guests :)

I'm planning on asking the tech tomorrow when I get hooked up with my new ISP if I'd be okay running a server on my connection. I fixed up my old machine and could dedicate it to that, if it would help any.

It wouldn't be too great since all it has is a 160GB HD, but there'd be somewhere to host the files at least. xD:

@Keith: I don't blame you for wanting out - keeping a site this size running is a real pain in the butt, especially when it's all your own time and money running it! :onya

I dare say I could pitch in money-wise, but for one thing I haven't a clue about running a site like this as administrator
and I don't have time to find out until after March, by which time it'd be too late. :facepalm

What's the cost monthly to maintaining the site?

I am a person of some means and am willing to shoulder some responsibility in terms of cost, equipment and time, but can't do it alone.

I don't know what I'd do without it. It's like a second home to me. COAS and POTC are my escape from reality and here is where my addiction is fed. :shrug

MK

I feel the same as MK. I will do what I can and pitch in and keep this vessel afloat.

I don't have much but will help as I can. This is my 2nd home as well and these are my mates too.

My heart just sank after reading this. :shock:
I really rather hoped I'd never see that sort of thing happen to this site, but there we go.
Oh well, motivational speech ahoy:

PiratesAhoy! changed everything for me last summer. I had just noticed my copy of PotC for the first time in months, and decided to look it up online, just to see if anything of interest would appear.
What a surprise I got! I mean really! I never could have imagined such an incredible modification for such a modest, little known pirate RPG.
Then I downloaded and installed it. :cheeky Even more impressed to see the new stuff in action first-hand! Absolutely mind-boggling.
And then came the time when I decided to join up, and report a couple of issues. That in itself was something I had never done before.
And for good reasons, too. Many modding forums of today are plagued with corruption and ill-mannered members, but not this one.
In fact, if it weren't for this community spirit, I would not have even joined up to say a single word. But look where I am now. ;)
That's another thing: thanks to my warm welcome, I even dared to go as far as contributing to this fine mod! I wouldn't have dreamed of that in my life!
So not only did this community make me feel welcome and accepted, but it also boosted my confidence to do my bit to help make this game the ultimate pirate game we so thoroughly deserve!

And that's the magic of this community. It is unique, welcoming and respectful. And that's a very rare combination as far as modding sites go these days!
So that's why I believe we can't just drop PA!. Keeping this site alive is making internet history- just look at how long it's lasted so far!
As much as I wish I could help save the site, I'm in no practical position to do so. But no matter how much effort it takes, I'll still do everything I can to remain a part of this amazing community!
thpirateshipff.gif

May the Build Mod sail endless seas!

It seems we've got at least several people willing to pitch in money-wise, so that's always a good thing.
Personally, I've got a fair amount of money to spare if necessary since I earn a fair salary but have little expenses.
So that shouldn't be too much of a problem if we can arrange it with Keith.

But what about actually running the site, FTP and forum? I can just get by with modding simple game code,
but my computer knowledge is by far not as much as some people seem to think.
I'd be willing to take over administrator duties and such but I can assure you I'm not the right person to do it.
So who WOULD be able to do this?

I think talking about PA! dying is a little premature, if noone wanted to carry it on I can always still host it (out of Malaysia)

What my post was about really is to say that I cannot be pro active with updating the site. On reflection is was a little silly of me to suggest Pieter with his workload bu that's why he'a a champ ;)

I'd like to reiterate my offer before and that is to still run the forum as it is, but I will be adding very little to it.

The FTP's are another story though, I really don't want to admister them and be responsible for them as I know I'll just forget in time. (in saying that the official build files are still welcome)

Whew! Like others I thought you were moving on. :shock

I don't know what I could do to help. I have lots of time, but very little money or knowledge about running a site. :mm

OK, In the interest of the site. I think I will continue to handle the running of the forum.

There will be a small shakeup as I move the critical items over to the new server.

I was also pondering upgrading the hosting in Malayisa to a VPS in any event which will give us more resources (planning doing cloud networking for work)

I'll close this thread now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back