• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Open Sea Mod and Realism Settings

Damski, have you checked at the bottom of internalsettings.h yet? Pieter accidentally left cheatmode on which gives another camera view. It is the stuff at the very bottom and should be set to "0".

Damski, have you checked at the bottom of internalsettings.h yet? Pieter accidentally left cheatmode on which gives another camera view. It is the stuff at the very bottom and should be set to "0".

HI HP

No......I didn't know about that, thanks for the info :onya
Sorry for the scare Jeff :facepalm

Cheers
damski.

Hi

Jeff......just tried the v 0.2 mod........slight problem, if you press Tab 3 times to alter view from 1st to 3rd person you now get an extra free cam view in the port you are nearest to, so maybe it won't be harder to know where you are unless you can sort the camera behaiour out.
Other than that.....keep up the good work.

Cheers
damski.

Hello damski....thanks for the feedback! Yes, I noticed this right off the bat, and I assumed it was a camera glitch from somewhere else as I do not think i messed around with anything that is a camera view...that "extra" view is weird, too...you get to see "under" the water and take a nice look at sharks 'n stuff.....sometimes you do get to see a ship, but I cannot imagine much if any of a tactical advantage in this...the problem is more of an annoyance....I will take a look at it....

Ha ha, as I'm typing this I see a bunch of replies to fix the "free camera".....whew, for a moment there I thought I was going to have another banshee to chase....

GhostHauntingSilly.gif

@ Megla...
Would it not be possible to ignore the distance and just take heading in to account.
You could edit the time calculation to be based on distance from island along with the time that is used now?
Those values should be accessible. We would only need a formula that would take already traveled distance (from the current island) and change it in to minutes.

Hmmm...I'm not 100% certain with what you say/ask....if you are suggesting that we use a timer based on distance from island, well that will be variable based on speed and might not be reliable....one thing I was thinking was using the coordinates calling code (hey that spells CCC lol although Screwface was the actual person who figured that out) to simply identify when one was close to an island, like how the text messages are displayed....

Some of these things are currently beyond my coding abilities.....remember I'm a hack! However, with this said, I've also been distracted playing and modding my old Star Trek: The Next Generation Win98 game....a very strong modding community, somewhat like this one, still exists about ten years since they started their....heh heh.....trek. If you enjoy Star Trek, enjoy turn based strategy like Civilization V, etc., then you should look up http://www.armadafleetcommand.com/botf/

The modding of that game uses much hex editing, and I might be able to put some of my knowledge of that here one day... :woot

...back to PotCNHBXIV2.1......I'm planning on rounding up my current changes (only a few), fixing the "victory music" issue, and releasing a new version of the mod....I'll call it either 0.21 or 0.3 based on my thoughts of how much is modded....

Regards,

Jeff

No what i mean is. If i recall correctly when you switch between islands there is an X amount of time added to correctly calculate food consumption on a trip. (well there was talks about it round last year or maybe a bit more back)

Though now that i think about it, it wouldnt really need changing. Since i doubt youd sail for over a day in 1 direction within the area of 1 island.

Just a quick note...an observant member pointed out to me that the 0.2 link in the downloads section does not work (because the message board shortens long addresses and the like)...the link on the signature page works fine, and I've edited the downloads page so that the link works and it is awaiting approval...still working on version 0.21 (or maybe I'll call it 0.3 lol)

Jeff

This has to do with the moon mod. The moon has been quite oval and I thought this is normal until a few minutes ago when I was sailing along at night and noticed the moon changing shape when shining through the sails.

It is like there are two moons with the oval moon covering the round moon. Naturally I want that round moon, but how.

This has to do with the moon mod. The moon has been quite oval and I thought this is normal until a few minutes ago when I was sailing along at night and noticed the moon changing shape when shining through the sails.

It is like there are two moons with the oval moon covering the round moon. Naturally I want that round moon, but how.

Hello Hylie Pistoff, everyone....hmm, I've not noticed this one before...then again, I've not been looking at the moon too much since I made the mod....Let me ask you this H.P. ...do you notice this oval effect when the moon is higher in the sky? Also, do you notice it when a sail fully covers the moon?

Taking a quick peek at the file structure with ConverterTX, at the moment I do not find a second moon file for sails, so I assume that this is an effect that the sails are creating....I might be able to fix it if I slightly change my modded moon to exactly fit the size of the original moon (I made it slightly larger), however my current bet is that the sails are affecting it, and *perhaps* a modded sail (like on a new ship) somehow changes how the moon looks...in other words, if you use a template from a stock ship and then change the parameters to make new sail, but somewhere the old sail parameters still exist in the code, something like this *might* happen...does anyone notice this oval effect with any other ships?

An update on Open Sea....haven't touched it lately, but still come around here at least once a day....I purchased a new Asus 1215N and hope to put PotCNHBXIV2.1 on there so I may take New Horizons anywhere I go!....however, having a baby has been quite a challenge....did I mention I feel like I've lost about forty IQ points, along with any hope of normal sleep for the near term (lol)? :wp

Nonetheless, I'm eager to keep on fixing things up here to make them as good as they can be...I'll be around! :)

Regards,

Jeff

I was just snooping around some game files to try to spot what's causing this Moon distortion, and I think I might have found something.
The file WhrSetAzmAng.c in PROGRAM/Weather/Init appears to set the azimuth and altitude angles for the Sun/Moon depending on the time of day.
In particular, the cases 0, 22, 23 and 'default' are what affect the Moon's position.
In addition, the file WhrInitValues.c in the same folder also states such positions.
So, I have a feeling that one of these files controls the 'hidden' Sun/Moon, and the other controls the glowing Sun/Moon.
Maybe there's a conflict between the two files which is causing one to appear differently to the other.

That said, it's probably not the sails affecting it at all. There is absolutely no relationship between sails and the Sun/Moon, except that they reduce the glow effect.

We also need to consider what happens when not using a widescreen monitor. Can anyone test that easily?
If it does turn out to be a widescreen-only problem, then we might need to make a separate moonglow.tga file which compensates for the distortion.

Hehe. Didn't really expect you to have much free time for a while.............. :j1

The sails really have no affect on the moon except that smaller ones do show both of them.

I did a little experiment and found a "blank.tex" and renamed it to "moonglow.tex". The result shows that two moons are being drawn, so this is not a texture thing but a coding thing.

The sun is oval too.

Wow! That really highlights the problem. I assume the blank texture is supposed to be square shape, not a rectangle?

It does appear to be a code-based problem, and it's that strange rotation of the brighter texture that I can't figure out.
What's more, the values of the Sun/Moon's positions, in the two files I specified above, are completely different, which doesn't help at all. :modding

Er, no. The moonglow texture is 256X256 while the blank texture is 256X128. I should find another texture at 256X256 to test further.

EDIT: I found another texture called "gray.tex" that is 256X256 and it clearly shows that there is widescreen distortion. :facepalm

In that case, try this new version of moonglow.tga: http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/Experienced%20Captain/HiResMoon_Widescreen.7z
I experimented to see what difference was made by squashing the file, and it does seem to fix the distortion pretty well.
Bear in mind I'm playing in 1440x900, so it might be very slightly different for other widescreen settings.
You'll notice I also made the texture larger and used a new moon image; it should now look pretty good in-game, even through your spyglass. :cheeky

Not bad at all. There is only a slight distortion at my 16:9 monitor at 1920 X 1080. And that file is huge compared to the others.

Well it's only 512x512, which still isn't huge, although it is now 32-bit as opposed to 16-bit.
Anyway, at least it's an improvement. :)

Well it's only 512x512, which still isn't huge, although it is now 32-bit as opposed to 16-bit.
Anyway, at least it's an improvement. :)

Excellent! I still use an old Sony Trinatron 27" (maybe it is 25" I forget) 4:3 CRT on my older computer and I will be happy to test the moon out sometime by this weekend...probably Thursday. I'm very happy you were able to make this happen Armada! It was beyond my limited capabilities.... :)

Regards,

Jeff

All right did some tests on the high res moon....I really like how it looks, and it seems to looks fine in the 4:3 aspect:

PotCOpenSeaPic0006.jpg

It looks good through sails...here is one example:

PotCOpenSeaPic0012.jpg

About the only thing I notice that might be a bit odd is how it sits on the horizon:

PotCOpenSeaPic0016.jpg

PotCOpenSeaPic0018.jpg

....also, it seems to be just a bit oval looking, or perhaps it is more how it stands out against the background glow....maybe making it just a bit more white, but that is just my opinion....

....looks like Armada made the file twice as large (from 256x256 to 512x512)? Interesting....i tried to get the highest res pic possible and shrink it...I never thought to make the entire pic larger! :)

Regards,

Jeff

P.S. Oops my CRT is only 20" diagonally....still large for a CRT! ;)

Ney, the planet's natural satellite looks mighty impressive, almost overwhelming. Sometimes it can appear like a balloon popping up above the sea like you said to another few tourists it would comply within a minute. Trick is to follow its path on the horizon for a couple of days earlier and have a feeling for timing of the celestial canopy. :shrug Also depending on where one'd be the vexing mood changes from high nooney to Newt Moon in the year of the lizard, what we're experiencing right at this spot as we speak.

You know that flat-screens and hi-fy equipment can be connected to PCs, dontcha. Brilliant, let us effe see, so with a right mouse-kick, if the capture isn't too bright say. When the glaring yellow sun gets obscured by some cirrus speechtaculusses tha' is. Fancy we'd be living nearer the galactic centre with much more brighter soup-stars and a blue giant spinning around Earph. The desktop-speakers have just gone mental. :258_captain_of_a_ship: ..not that Sol wasn't the most stunning globe imaginable. B-)

La Luna? is merely a Mercury-like planetoid what collided with Le Monde, confusing a bit, almost at the beginning of our system 4.6 billions years ago. One extraordinary fact: sizes and distances of both sun and moon leads to overfantastic eclipses. In the Netherlands and Germany they have even swapped the a-gender. Ya, and the glass is good-looking in a teal bluish-green. --Turquoise Emerald, Brainblow of a special kind is remarking, the roof's beams are growing paddling wings sorta. Toodle-oo

Back