• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Opening GM files

fjx

Promotion
Storm Modder
I really don't know where to post this thread so sorry if it's not proper forum part. The problem is pure technical. I'm looking for a program that can can open GM files (character models and more). It must be downloadable for free. You, modders must use something to open these files. Maybe you can give me a link?
Thanks in advantage.:dance
fjx

Great thanks to you but...well...in the GM viewer models are all gray and in the tool they're white on blue background. I want to see the colourful models. Sorry but I'm a newbie at modding and I need your help.:bounce:read

GMViewer is a "dumb" program and you have to lead it to the files it needs to use. First you have to lead it to your POTC install and find the ships. It sounds like you did that.
Next you have to lead it to your texture files. That is done in the next box down. The path is - POTC--->resource--->textures--->ships. The you get full color.

The TOOL needs a folder with .tga texture files for the models. (not tga.tx like in the game)
So you have to convert the texture files from tx to tga with the TX-converter.
Place them in a folder. (In my example below that folder is placed in the game)
Now open the VrmlImExporter.ini (in the TOOL folder) and change or add the adress something like this example:

C:\Program\Bethesda Softworks\Game Beta2-3 GB 950
C:\Program\Bethesda Softworks\Game Beta2-3 GB 950\Resource\Textures\Characters tga
chkAddX=True
chkAddToScene=False
chkDropLocations=False
AutoSetTextureDir=False
chkReverseNormals=True
chkChangeYZ=False

Can you explain me step by step HOW TO VIEW COLORFUL MODELS IN GM VIEWER? I's really important to me.:diomed

Ok, it is not that hard to do.

1. Open up GMViewer and in the top left corner select the path to the ship you want to view. First click on the hard drive you want to access, in this case C:\, then --->your working POTC folder --->resource--->models--->ships. Then scroll down the list until you see the ship you want to view and double click on it. A list of GM files should appear.

2. Now in the left middle of the page under "select TX Directory where GM textures placed" you will see the hard drive box. Select the same one as before, in this case C:\. Then select your working POTC folder --->resource--->textures--->ships.

3. Now in the list of GM files click on the first one. Your ship should appear in full color. Place your mouse cursor in the middle of the screen, left click and hold, and move the mouse around.

4. In the lower left corner you will see three boxes that are unchecked. Check mark them. They are: 3D grid mode, show labels, and show locators.

That is it! :type1
GMViewer.jpg

What models are you trying to view? On newer computer systems, the textures on character models refuse to show whatever you do.
Works on locations, items and ships though. It's very weird, but nobody managed to find any sort of workaround as of yet. :facepalm

Thanks very much, but on my win7 characters don't work.:facepalm
P.S. Yaay, my 100th post.

You can try with the TOOL. But then you have to point to a directory with the appropriate texture files in .TGA

Back