• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Patching Build 14 Beta 1

Miklkit, I believe that problem was already fixed, it's fine in my version of the file.
But I'm just stumped as to why my game suddenly decided to crash every time it's loading the main bloody menu! :8q
And even if it DOES work again, I noticed that old saves are incompatible. Anyone remember how to undo that?

I think if nothing is figured out about this, I'll just have to re-install again. :modding
Then I'll add the patch 3, plus patch 4 and test it (is patch 3 required?). Once that works, I'll put the ship pack back in, and take it from there.

You need Build 14 Beta 1 + Patch 3 + Patch 4 WIP, yes.
For the crash, do you have enabled error logging?
For the forced starting of a new game, open PROGRAM\globals.c and find IS_SGV and set it back to 14.868 .

Miklkit, I believe that problem was already fixed, it's fine in my version of the file.
But I'm just stumped as to why my game suddenly decided to crash every time it's loading the main bloody menu! :8q
And even if it DOES work again, I noticed that old saves are incompatible. Anyone remember how to undo that?

I think if nothing is figured out about this, I'll just have to re-install again. :modding
Then I'll add the patch 3, plus patch 4 and test it (is patch 3 required?). Once that works, I'll put the ship pack back in, and take it from there.

The question I left unasked is: Is that fix in patch 1 also in patch 3, or is it only in patch 1? All of my installs have patch 1, patch 2, and patch 3 in them, so the only way I can find out is to do a fresh install and then add patch 3 like the OP.

About your ctd. Mine started doing that when attempting to load a save. The screen would flicker and then go black. Alt - F4! I had to delete the 2 quests I had going and start a new quest. That one seems to be ok except for one bad spot this morning where it ctd'ed 3 times in a row when trying to board my ship at Port Royale. Now it is fine again. :wp I don't recall any problems with the ship pack.

Everything that was in previous patches is included in the later ones.
The exception is the Patch 4 WIP, which requires Patch 3 to be installed first.

A quick update: I removed my save folder and started the game, without the CTD before the main menu, BUT it still crashes when starting a new game. :modding Any of them, I think.

All that needs to be done is check the ship pack files. I don't have the pack and it works for me, are there alot of "program" files there?

What does it mean when ships have missing "boxfiles"? I have had that message come up on screen when approaching an island.

That message ON THE SCREEN? That's beyond bizarre! In system.log, sure, but on the screen??? :shock

I couldn't detect anything wrong with the ship pack PROGRAM files. :facepalm

Err, yup. That is my 2nd post about that. Methinks the 1st post was about a different message onscreen. That install no longer works.

I couldn't detect anything wrong with the ship pack PROGRAM files. :facepalm
Finally some good news! For me, at least- I was pretty sure I hadn't messed up those files in the first place. :eek:k
Personally, I haven't had any strange messages on-screen in-game, but since I still can't even start a new game, I think I'll just reinstall anyway.

I have installed Patch 4WIP plus Historic Ships Pack

All storylines start ok :onya EXCEPT Assassin.

For Assassin I get the Start New Game Loading Screen then CTD.

The error logs are the same as in Post #9 above

EDIT:

For the CTD with the Historic Ship Pack I get the following in the Windows Error report :--

*** WARNING: Unable to verify checksum for I:\GAMES\POTC\Build 14 Beta_01_Patch04_WIP_PlusHSP\Pirates of the Caribbean\Engine.exe
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for I:\GAMES\POTC\Build 14 Beta_01_Patch04_WIP_PlusHSP\Pirates of the Caribbean\Engine.exe
function: Engine
00413454 5d pop ebp
00413455 c20800 ret 0x8
00413458 e8dba76245 call 45a3dc38
0041345d 45 inc ebp
0041345e 7200 jb Engine+0x13460 (00413460)
00413460 55 push ebp
00413461 8bec mov ebp,esp
00413463 51 push ecx
00413464 894dfc mov [ebp-0x4],ecx
00413467 8b45fc mov eax,[ebp-0x4]
FAULT ->0041346a 8b4008 mov eax,[eax+0x8] ds:0023:00000008=????????
0041346d 8be5 mov esp,ebp
0041346f 5d pop ebp
00413470 c3 ret
00413471 4d dec ebp
00413472 f4 hlt
00413473 64890d00000000 mov fs:[00000000],ecx
0041347a 8be9 mov ebp,ecx
0041347c d8ff fdivr st,st(7)
0041347e ffff ???
00413480 55 push ebp

In patch 4Wip without Historic Ship Pack --- All storylines (incl Assassin ) start OK :onya

I've just finished re-installing, temporarily without the ship pack.
For the sake of checking everything was running smoothly, I tried a new game in the standard storyline, and chose the evil stormy start. :d:
But, for some strange reason, I woke up to find myself on a shore that looked vaguely like... Cozumel... and it was! :blink: Now, I don't think that is meant to happen, am I right? I don't blame patch 4, but it just seems very strange to land there!

Anyway, my latest theory on this CTD issue is that patch 4 has more up-to-date files than the ship pack does; what I sent Pieter was my merged files of the two. What everyone has done by installing the ship pack AFTER patch 4 is overwrite the latest files with older ones. :facepalm
So what I would suggest everyone does is this:
  1. Install patch 4
  2. Install ship pack
  3. Download and install the 'HSP Code Only' pack of updated files from my FTP folder.
If that works, then that's a good sign. If not... :modding

Good morning. Still drinking me first proppa cup o' coffee. :nerbz
I have one dead install with patch 4 and the ship pack, so tried your HSP pack there. It still won't start, but gives a message about "abnormal program termination". I seem to remember that happening when I first dl'ed patch 4, and Pieter made a quick fix. So, I'm going to find that thread, but wait until Pieter gives an opinion.

I was planning on creating a install with patch 3 + the ship pack only. But, since I already have an install with patch 4, I will install the ship pack and your HSP pack to that. Hopefully I will get better results Talisman has without the HSP pack.

PS: I copied the working install, installed the ship pack and then HSP, and got the same error message as above. Back to ye olde drawing board..... :nerbz

As I said in another thread: Patch 4 was NOT made to be compatible with the ship pack and the files do interfere.
Experienced Captain's HSP file did seem to be correctly merged and should help. :onya

Experienced Captain, Cozumel IS a stormy start option by default. If you don't want it to be, open PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h and find:
Code:
#define STORMY_START_CHOICES	20				// Set to 19 to disable Khael Roa stormy start, set to 17 to also disable Oxbay stormy start

As I said in another thread: Patch 4 was NOT made to be compatible with the ship pack and the files do interfere.
Experienced Captain's HSP file did seem to be correctly merged and should help. :onya

Experienced Captain, Cozumel IS a stormy start option by default. If you don't want it to be, open PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h and find:
Code:
#define STORMY_START_CHOICES	20				// Set to 19 to disable Khael Roa stormy start, set to 17 to also disable Oxbay stormy start

Anyway, my latest theory on this CTD issue is that patch 4 has more up-to-date files than the ship pack does; what I sent Pieter was my merged files of the two. What everyone has done by installing the ship pack AFTER patch 4 is overwrite the latest files with older ones. :facepalm
So what I would suggest everyone does is this:
  1. Install patch 4
  2. Install ship pack
  3. Download and install the 'HSP Code Only' pack of updated files from my FTP folder.
If that works, then that's a good sign. If not... :modding

Have installed Patch 4 -- then Historic Ship pack -- then HSP code files.

Game crashes when it loads :modding

System.log file says ->

Scanning modules\
Loading modules...
Loaded 0
Reset...
Initializing CORE...
Creating atoms space: 128
done
initializing complete
User Rised Exception
C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\ENGINE\SOURCES\Core.cpp line 526
fail to create program

Error.log file says ->

COMPILE ERROR - file: sea_ai\ShipWalk.c; line: 71
can't load file: sea_ai\Walk\Surprise1_walk.c

There is No Compile log.

I checked in Sea_ai \ walk\ folder --- there is no Surprise1_walk.c file :shrug

But, for some strange reason, I woke up to find myself on a shore that looked vaguely like... Cozumel... and it was! Now, I don't think that is meant to happen, am I right? I don't blame patch 4, but it just seems very strange to land there!

Well if you will try to start the hard way :razz

Have installed Patch 4 -- then Historic Ship pack -- then HSP code files.

Game crashes when it loads :modding

System.log file says ->

Scanning modules\
Loading modules...
Loaded 0
Reset...
Initializing CORE...
done
initializing complete
User Rised Exception
fail to create program

Error.log file says ->

COMPILE ERROR - file: sea_ai\ShipWalk.c; line: 71
can't load file: sea_ai\Walk\Surprise1_walk.c

There is No Compile log.

I checked in Sea_ai \ walk\ folder --- there is no Surprise1_walk.c file :shrug
Oh God! :facepalm
OK, that's linked to the updated Surprise's walk file (which I believe is the same as the old one anyway. :?), which obviously doesn't come with patch 4 or the ship pack. Right, erm, that means I'll need to update ships_init.c as well, since I forgot about my Surprise_updates pack.
So here's what I think should be done now:
  1. I'll update the Surprise_update pack to include Jack Harrison's updated Surprise (not totally new one), then re-upload that one.
  2. I'll merge the ships_init files together to keep them in sync.
  3. I'll merge both the HSP code and Surprise updates together into one mini-patch.
Sound good? :shrug
I do apologise for the inconvenience; I have SO MANY files lying around, it's hard to keep tabs of which ones I have and haven't used in updates.

Well if you will try to start the hard way :razz
Yeah, yeah, I deserved it. :facepalm It just seems strange to me, but if it's intentional, then it makes a bit of sense.
It's just I remember Clement saying you can only enter that island at a specific time of year... :cheeky

I wasn't awake yet or I would have looked at the logs. Mine are the same as Talisman's.

Umm, I don't think we are anywhere near as inconvenienced as you are. :cheers I do have a question tho.
What does this mean? "C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\ENGINE\SOURCES\Core.cpp line 526" I hope the program isn't looking for that, because it's not in my puter.

I do apologise for the inconvenience; I have SO MANY files lying around, it's hard to keep tabs of which ones I have and haven't used in updates.

Don't worry its no problem :drunk

Bug hunting is what we do :ixi & what we're here for :urgh

Just so I know where I am - this is my current situation

Patch 3 & Patch 4wip -- all storylines load OK

Patch 3 + Historic Ship Pack

All story Lines start ok - EXCEPT Assassin

For Assassin I get the Start New Game Loading Screen then CTD ( error logs the same as in Post# 9 above )

Patch 3 + Historic Ship Pack + HSP Code

Game CTD on loading

System.log ->

Scanning modules\
Loading modules...
Loaded 0
Reset...
Initializing CORE...
done
initializing complete
User Rised Exception
fail to create program

Error.log->

COMPILE ERROR - file: sea_ai\ShipWalk.c; line: 50
can't load file: sea_ai\walk\Bounty_walk.c

No Compile .log

Patch 4 + Historic Ship Pack

All story Lines start ok EXCEPT Assassin

For Assassin I get the Start New Game Loading Screen then CTD ( error logs the same as in Post# 9 above )

Patch 4 + Historic Ship Pack + HSP Code

Game CTD on loading

Error & system logs as per Post #36 above

I hope this helps

:doff

EDIT:

Question -- So what is it about the Assassin (Johan Elting ) story that does not like the Historic Ship pack :mm

Could it be anything to do with the new ship model used for the Soleil Royal :?

This is the only ship that is unique to the Assassin story that I can think of that has been changed

EDIT: @ 22.22hrs

Is it because the ship -- Soleil Royal --- has not been changed in the TempQuestEnemy.c file for the Assassin Quest :?

Question -- So what is it about the Assassin (Johan Elting ) story that does not like the Historic Ship pack :mm

Could it be anything to do with the new ship model used for the Soleil Royal :?

This is the only ship that is unique to the Assassin story that I can think of that has been changed

EDIT: @ 22.22hrs

Is it because the ship -- Soleil Royal --- has not been changed in the TempQuestEnemy.c file for the Assassin Quest :?
I've no idea what in the HSP could be affecting that storyline. :facepalm
As for the Soleil Royal, I've just remembered that model needs removing from the patches, and replacing with the one I have uploaded in my FTP folder. But still, it's nothing to do with the ship pack, and the Soleil Royal doesn't appear so early on in that storyline.

And thanks for your status update, that's really helpful. :onya
Hopefully once I get all my files together, this problem should be cleared up. :?

Back