• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Period-accurate sail textures

The non-emblem sails on older vessels shouldn't have reeflines. Those are the only changes I would know of.

The non-emblem sails on older vessels shouldn't have reeflines. Those are the only changes I would know of.
The way the textures are set up now, that should already be the case. However, some sail textures have reeflines with an emblem, so that needs to be fixed.

Further changes? Here's a few thoughts:
  • Remove the 'Normal' textures completely (all the 'sail_parus_whole_white' textures). Post Captain said they looked particularly inaccurate in the other thread.
  • Remove the 'Che Guevara' textures. I'm not entirely sure what they're doing here in the first place... o_O
  • Remove the first option of the 'PA Logo' from certain sails; looks a bit out-of-place compared to the second option.
  • Ensure all ships in the first one/two periods don't use the reefline texture of 'Pure White' or 'Weathered' sails.
  • Ensure emblems for the 'Pure White' texture are exclusive to the first one/two periods.
Everything else can probably be left as is. The 'Standard' sails have a large amount of colours and emblems, and since the AI shouldn't ever use the emblems, I think it's only fair to keep them available to the player in all periods.

Hmm... if I get the chance, I'll see what I can do. Sounds doable. :doff

I've finally managed to sort out the GeraldSails lines for every single ship, so now they should used reefline textures or emblems properly. See attached file.
(You don't often appreciate how many ships we have until you go through every last one in Ships_init.c... :shock)

I also took the time to merge the file with Captain Armstrong's improved gun calibres and encounter chances, in preparation for the next Build release.
Note that there are a couple of WIP entries at the bottom, which I have commented out for now.

I just need to fix the national emblem textures for the Pure White sails, and all the changes can be put into one package.

Attachments

• Ships_init.c
    686.2 KB · Views: 93
Thanks a lot, Armada! :woot

Hylie, what other changes have we made? Especially in the case of ships_init.c, it'll be a pain indeed to merge the changes of two people when they both have been doing a lot of work on it. :facepalm

I'm afraid to try that. I've been making lots of changes to mine.
Changes intended for the next release, or just for personal use? Anything for Beta 2.3 will need to be merged sooner or later.

Especially in the case of ships_init.c, it'll be a pain indeed to merge the changes of two people when they both have been doing a lot of work on it. :facepalm
Heck, it took me long enough to merge my version with Captain Armstrong's work. Might have been a better idea to do it before adding all those extra GeraldSails lines... :rolleyes:

I have been making minor changes to the 4 working installs I have for months, and have forgotten most of them. When I work on a ship I include the ships_init.c changes I made in the folder. My changes have been things like cannon and crew changes, and waterlines.
Armada, will this be your final version of ships_init.c? If so I could do a Winmerge from my installs.

Personal use? I have not created any super ships. Indeed I have been downgrading many ships.

It's pretty much a final version; the only exceptions are the Trinity and Essex entries. I don't know what we're doing about adding different versions of those ships, yet.
It would be great if you could merge it with your work and let me know of any stats changes (excluding waterline values) so I can document them in the Excel file.

did you use craiggo's volage entry? it appears to be for COAS only, not POTC, so I am trying to figure out what lines I need to add/change at the moment. I think there will be 2-3 more versions of the essex, with the same paint schemes as the various versions of the volage. we could do just two more versions if no one has a problem with omiting a black/white scheme, and just using the yellow or bare wood one for america.
here is the entry for the essex as it is right now:

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------
// USS Essex 1799 by Captain Armstrong
//
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------
makeref(refShip,ShipsTypes[n]);
n++;
refShip.Name = "US_Essex";
refShip.All = "Frigate1";
refShip.SName = "Essex";

refShip.id = refShip.Name;
refShip.Class = 5;
refShip.Cannon = CANNON_TYPE_LONG_LBS18;
refShip.MaxCaliber = 18;
refShip.Weight = Tonnes2CWT(1300);
refShip.Capacity = 2500;
refShip.CannonsQuantity = 46;
refShip.Cannons.Borts.cannonf.qty = 2;
refShip.Cannons.Borts.cannonb.qty = 2;
refShip.MaxCrew = 316;
refShip.MinCrew = 84;
refShip.Price = 260000;
refShip.HP = 5100;
refShip.SP = 200;
refShip.BigPicTexName = "SHIPS1"; // Armada
refShip.BI.Tex = 14;
refShip.BI.Pic = 9;
refShip.QDeck = "ShipDeck6";
refShip.CannonsDeck = 1;
refShip.CargoHold = 1;
refShip.Cabin = "Cabin3";
refShip.Flags.Mast3.Flag1 = FLAG_PENNANT;
refShip.Flags.Mast4.Flag1 = FLAG_ENSIGN;
//Period
refShip.period.0 = 0.0; //
refShip.period.1 = 0.0; //
refShip.period.2 = 0.0; //
refShip.period.3 = 0.0; //
refShip.period.4 = 0.2; //
refShip.period.5 = 0.8; //
//Nation
refShip.england = 0.2; //
refShip.france = 0.0; //
refShip.holland = 0.0; //
refShip.portugal = 0.0; //
refShip.pirate = 0.0; //
refShip.spain = 0.0; //
refShip.america = 0.15; //
refShip.Model = "Essex"; // KK
refShip.Type.Trade = false;
refShip.Type.War = true;
refShip.CanEncounter = true;
refShip.CanBuy = true;
refShip.WaterLine = 0.0;
refShip.SpeedDependWeight = 0.3;
refShip.SubSeaDependWeight = 1.0;
refShip.GeraldSails.rey_b2 = 1;
refShip.GeraldSails.rey_b3 = 1;
// Stays, lateen and deep draft, better than average upwind performance
refShip.ClosestPoint = 0.28;
refShip.BestPoint = 0.8;
refShip.RigType = sDet;
if (!bArcadeMode){
refShip.SpeedRate = 13.0;
refShip.TurnRate = 76;
refShip.InertiaAccelerationX = 4; refShip.InertiaBrakingX = 0.5;
refShip.InertiaAccelerationY = 2.25; refShip.InertiaBrakingY = 0.5;
refShip.InertiaAccelerationZ = 2.5; refShip.InertiaBrakingZ = 2.0;
}else{
refShip.SpeedRate = 13.4;
refShip.TurnRate = 33;
refShip.InertiaAccelerationX = 0.2; refShip.InertiaBrakingX = 2.0;
refShip.InertiaAccelerationY = 10; refShip.InertiaBrakingY = 4;
refShip.InertiaAccelerationZ = 4.0; refShip.InertiaBrakingZ = 2.0;
}

I must have modified an existing PotC ship's entry, otherwise it may not have worked properly when testing the ship.

Speaking of the Volage, that one's also ready for inclusion, isn't it?

yep except for the entry, she is ready to go. do you have a working ships_init.c file for her? could you upload it?

I haven't tested the Volage yet, so don't have an entry. Are you happy with the relevant stats Craiggo gave her, or are there some changes needed?

well the maxcalibers need changing, but other than that I am not sure yet. I'll test her ingame and post any changes I make. :)

ANY ships_init.c entry should allow you to use her in the game for testing. The actual stats can be easily changed whenever. Or is that not the point? :facepalm

Copy any PotC entry from a somewhat similar ship and change the ID to your new ship's folder name.

Take a look at RN_Frigate. She has very similar stats. The differences seem to be bigger guns and crew,and a weaker hull than yours.

I'd say RN_Frigate is more similar to the Essex, and actually could benefit from being replaced by it, along with US_Frigate. Those two have a more modern rig and serve in later eras than the other stock frigates, so they're not going to be replaced by my Rossiya model.

The Volage, on the other hand, seems similar to US_Brig, which is actually a 3-masted Sloop-of-War with 22 guns, so again that could be replaced.

Hopefully replacements like these will put a dent in the number of stock-based ships we see in-game! :dance

I agree, the essex would be a good replacement for stock frigates with late-period textures. the Volage can replace the us sloop of war as well, actually could probably replace all stock brigs rerigged as ships. I had to head back to college (was at home for the weekend) before i could make an entry for the volage, so I'll still make one but someone else will have to test it before release, as I don't have POTC on my laptop.

Back