• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

PiratesAhoy! Community Facebook Page

Glad to see you were able to track one down Keith. :onya

The plugin I had on the old front page just sent thy news article title and a tinyurl link to the front page story url, as much as I hate to admit it, it did work quite well and I think it was starting to draw some traffic our way.

I have always been antisocial, and probably always will be, but we were slowly getting people following us and the hit numbers really did improve from what I saw. Of course some of those numbers are skewed by spiders and bots, but a hit is a hit.

Pieter, that twitter account also has a lot of personal info and events about you. You sure you want to use it as the PA! default?
That's what it is meant for. Seems that something went wrong with the setup though and I can't seem to find out how to fix it either.
It was always and still is set up to post ONLY the content from our PiratesAhoy! Community Facebook page. However, it's posting my own personal stuff too, which it shouldn't be doing.
Why does technology never just keep doing what you want??? In the meantime, I manually removed everything that shouldn't be there.

The advantage of using Twitter, Facebook and YouTube is that more people may get to see our content. Personally I don't care about it either, but it seems to attract some attention.

I changed the picture on our Twitter-feed and changed the location to read "The Caribbean, 1500-1830", which is the setting of Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons.
https://twitter.com/#!/PiratesAhoy_
Still wished I could make Facebook stop posting personal stuff on the Twitter feed; it's not SUPPOSED to be doing that, but I still have to manually remove it.
Good thing I hardly ever do post personal stuff. At least the PiratesAhoy! stuff is going on there too.

Hey cool! ModDB now allows you to show a Twitter feed on our profiles. So obviously, I have now linked the PiratesAhoy! Twitter feed on all our ModDB profiles.
So anything posted on the PiratesAhoy! main page, YouTube, Facebook profile or directly on the Twitter feed will now make it onto the ModDB too.
We might as well have things more interlinked if we can, right?

That does sound cool! Nice way to inform the ModDB community of our latest news. :onya

Nice idea Pieter. I have a feeling things are going to get pretty busy around here in the next 6 months mate, especially once Caribbean is released. A lot of that traffic has to do with your efforts with social media mate. As I said above, even though I hate to admit it, the Twitter feed was a fantastic idea and something we should have implemented years ago.

I thought about it the same way you did, considering it silly. But then eventually I reconsidered, figuring the more places people might accidentally run into interesting PiratesAhoy!-related stuff, the better.
The automated part about it is especially useful, so we don't actively have to post anything there and it'll show up anyway.

I have been posting a lot of the Twitter stuff manually, I am still looking for a xenForo plugin to do what the old one did. I will probably have to request it on their forums, hopefully some brilliant coder will take pity on us and write a little script.

Oh, YOU were doing that? I thought it was still automatic. I thought you had found something that Keith installed.
That would explain, though, why the guy who accidentally posted on the News forum didn't trigger a Twitter post though.

Still wished I could make Facebook stop posting personal stuff on the Twitter feed; it's not SUPPOSED to be doing that, but I still have to manually remove it.
Good thing I hardly ever do post personal stuff. At least the PiratesAhoy! stuff is going on there too.
Pieter, it looks like your most recent personal stuff is still appearing on our Twitter feed. I'm guessing you haven't had any luck figuring out how to stop that properly, yet?

Nope. That's usually not a problem because I don't post to Facebook much. But now on holiday, I've been trying to post one thing a day.
The only "solution" I've found is to manually delete those entries from Twitter again. Strangely enough, not ALL of them have been auto-posting. :modding

It seems that our efforts at promoting on Facebook is having at least some effect. We've been on the rise since the beginning on the month.
We reached 606 people at the beginning of the month and we're up to 1119 now. So we got it almost doubled. :woot

So as for now: Let's see how long we can keep it up! If anyone has anything piratey to post, let me know!
Any piratey seafaring news, or perhaps even pirate jokes. Or screenshots from our modpacks. Anything and everything would be welcome.

I just received an e-mail from Facebook with some common promotional tips:
Top 10 Page posting tips

So I'll ask again if there are any people around here who have Facebook accounts and would be interested in joining our promotional efforts.
We need all the people we can get, so Promotion is at this time perhaps just as important as actual modeling, game engine work and the like.

We just got up to 500 Likes on Facebook! :cheers
Aaaaand we just passed the 600 mark.

Also:
Almost 280 followers on Twitter
400 subscribers on YouTube
500 watchers for Hearts of Oak on the IndieDB
486 watchers for Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons on the ModDB

Not so bad, eh? :wp

Back