• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Playing GOF 2.0 On Win 7 Cause Engine Crash?

Blaze Devlin

Sailor
Storm Modder
:ahoy

For a few years ago I used to play COAS on Win XP (32 Bit). And it worked perfectly, without any "Engine" crash. Later I installed the newer Win 7 Prof. (64 Bit) and during the COAS gameplay I was suffering many "Engine" crashes!
So I decided for around six months ago to download GOF 2.0 Mod Beta Test Ver. 1.4. The problem remains the same like with the former COAS version: LOTS OF "ENGINE" CRASHES!!

Now I made already the following downloads:

- DirectX 11
- Tages Driver for Win 7 (64 Bit)
- Microsoft.NET Framework 4.5.2

Additionally I also tried to change the screen resolution in the "engine.ini" file to the same value as my desktop is showing. But it failed again, because my game still crashes from time to time, especially after a longer play time over one hour or so! Does anybody having some other tips to make GOF 2.0 more stable on Win 7?

Would be very helpful to know!!

:ship

:shrug I almost never crash. I had 2 crashes in one day last week or I would say it never crashes at all.

Do you have large fleets? I have 3 medium ships so never get in battles with more than 7 ships total in one install and in the other I have 2 small ships.

So you normally get in battles with 8 or more big ships? I remember testing a long time ago and I did get crashes in big battles. Too many big ships just overloaded the Storm engine and my computer.

So you have two choices. Live with the crashes or sail less and smaller ships.

Well three choices actually. You can get a Cray supercomputer.

I have been slowly working my way up the food chain and recently got into a big fight. I think there were 17 ships involved plus a fort. The largest ship was Le Courrone and the Constitution was there also. I started with 2 ships and ended with 5, plus I had to scuttle 2 more. Lotsa action but the frame rates were acceptable and the action was buttery smooth. No CTD. It happened at night so the screenies are hard to see.
start 2015-07-10 20-35-24-85.jpg start 2015-07-10 20-48-27-98.jpg

I played on a medium spec. computer without big trouble in framerates seeing big battles.

From my experience you can participate in huge battles, BUT it is needed that this is done after a fresh load of the entire game. I mean if you see there will be an upcoming big battle save and exit the game. Restart the whole game load your save and you have a very good chance you won't have a crash. It seems that the longer/often you take action in sea battles the more likely is a CTD.

I always have had CTD with this game mostly after around an hour or one and a half a ctd is almost guaranteed. I mostly play until I had 2-3 sea battles and save/exit/reload. Strange thing is while on land the chances for crashes is pretty slim at least for me. The more sea battles however you participate in the more likely you will see the desktop next.

Hope this helps a little. This experience comes from winXP OS I haven't installed GoF on a win7 yet.

That sounds like the memory leaks sneaking up on you. I got into the habit of taking a short break every hour or so years ago. I'm on win8.1 and will be trying winX later this year.

Back