• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Porting New Horizons to Maelstrom Engine

Ok, flags are now fixed thanks to @ChezJfrey as always

DfEkX1S.png

I'm also trying to figure out why these double flags appear. It seems like it isn't like that in original NH.
That's @konradk's Different Flags mod at work.
He added a very advanced feature with that; which bypasses the engine code in several ways.
Technically in New Horizons they DO both show; but one of them gets an alpha-map texture assigned, so you don't notice.

How does Maelstrom deal with "fortflag*.dll", "merchantflag*.dll", etc.?
I can imagine the original "flag" DLL files got changed; which means those files need updating too.
Maybe copying the main Maelstrom "flag DLL", renaming that and re-HEX-editing them might do the trick...?

I'm pretty sure NH has both pennant and flag locators on the masts (not sure why it was necessary but ..)
It was "necessary" because @konradk had the intention of creating an interface where you could choose per mast if you want a pennant or an ensign there.
As it is, the support for that does already exist in the code; and you can change the layout by editing the related ships_init.c entries.

I have made some tweaks to the sea colors. I think it looks more real like this. Any thoughts on this?
I know people tend to think reality has quite dark and bleak colours.
But I can confirm from experience, reality is quite bright; especially in the Caribbean.

Perhaps stock PotC looks a little bit on the cartooney side.
But I like it. It's a happy world. Like the real world could, should and can be too.

It's a weird thing.
If I look at the Pirates of the Caribbean movies (which were filmed in the actual Caribbean), the colours look fake to me; or at least more like the North Sea.
While if I watch the behind-the-scenes documentaries, THAT is where it looks real and tropical.

Figure that one out... :confused:

Unfortunately this reminds me of my much-hated "Modern Movie Syndrome" (TM; patent pending :razz ).
SO many films and TV shows these days tend to suck their colour palettes dry; under the excuse of being "realistic".
Except I can say for absolute certain: this is nothing like realistic at all.
And I don't comprehend why people believe this.
Because any time I even go out into the world; or look out the window; I see PLENTY of proof that the world is far, far more colourful.

It's a certain "style" these days; that I suspect somehow connects to people's dark-doom-and-gloom post-9/11 worldview.
But it is false. The world is still the same as it always was. It's just people's perception has changed.

It's nothing new though.
I once read a period review online of the 1962 "Mutiny on the Bounty", complaining about its "postcard-perfect colours".
And I am forced to think to myself... you literally have to put extra effort in your photo's/videos to make them NOT look like that.
Because "postcard-perfect" in those parts of the world... that is reality.
Actual true real life.

So again...
Figure that one out. o_O

He added a very advanced feature with that; which bypasses the engine code in several ways.
Which I also believe adds a memory leak for any ship that gets sunk, as those extra, hex-edited .dll memory allocations don't get deleted by the engine either.

Technically in New Horizons they DO both show; but one of them gets an alpha-map texture assigned, so you don't notice.

I can imagine the original "flag" DLL files got changed; which means those files need updating too.
Maybe copying the main Maelstrom "flag DLL", renaming that and re-HEX-editing them might do the trick...?

It was "necessary" because @konradk had the intention of creating an interface where you could choose per mast if you want a pennant or an ensign there.
As it is, the support for that does already exist in the code; and you can change the layout by editing the related ships_init.c entries.

Do not copy the .dll files and hex edit them like before, it's not necessary.

Years ago, just for the New Horizons feature, I added support for the way the mod wanted those extra flags, but it requires some simple changes to the rigging.ini and a couple extra attributes for the CreateEntity of the various flag objects in the script code. Maelstrom is capable of doing what New Horizons wants, with just a few changes. Also, for informational purposes, it will also pass back exactly what mast node the flag sits in "GetRiggingData" event, which can be obtained by adding an extra request in the procGetRiggingData function:

string datName = GetEventData(); //INI section name
nTriangle = GetEventData();
nCode = GetEventData(); //Passed during Flag Init
aref chr = GetEventData();
string sNod = GetEventData(); //Mast Node

It also allows for automatically excluding some flag locators from consideration based on height/width ratios if desired, so they never get created so it doesn't need the alpha texture, and also obviates the need for the engine to continually calculate the flag motions for something you don't want to see anyway, but that is optional during the CreateEntity. By default, it will include everything specified by the locator group name specified in the scripts.

I know people tend to think reality has quite dark and bleak colours.
But I can confirm from experience, reality is quite bright; especially in the Caribbean.

Perhaps stock PotC looks a little bit on the cartooney side.
But I like it. It's a happy world. Like the real world could, should and can be too.

It's a weird thing.
If I look at the Pirates of the Caribbean movies (which were filmed in the actual Caribbean), the colours look fake to me; or at least more like the North Sea.
While if I watch the behind-the-scenes documentaries, THAT is where it looks real and tropical.

Figure that one out... :confused:

Unfortunately this reminds me of my much-hated "Modern Movie Syndrome" (TM; patent pending :razz ).
SO many films and TV shows these days tend to suck their colour palettes dry; under the excuse of being "realistic".
Except I can say for absolute certain: this is nothing like realistic at all.
And I don't comprehend why people believe this.
Because any time I even go out into the world; or look out the window; I see PLENTY of proof that the world is far, far more colourful.

It's a certain "style" these days; that I suspect somehow connects to people's dark-doom-and-gloom post-9/11 worldview.
But it is false. The world is still the same as it always was. It's just people's perception has changed.

It's nothing new though.
I once read a period review online of the 1962 "Mutiny on the Bounty", complaining about its "postcard-perfect colours".
And I am forced to think to myself... you literally have to put extra effort in your photo's/videos to make them NOT look like that.
Because "postcard-perfect" in those parts of the world... that is reality.
Actual true real life.

So again...
Figure that one out. o_O

You are right about the sea colors. I have watched a few 4k drone videos from Caribbean sea, and it indeed looks blue and turquoise. So I will stick to the original one that I modified for NH Maelstrom build :)
About flags and other things related to Engine, I guess Jeffrey gave an answer to that already :)

Ahoy @ChezJfrey!
Good to see ye around again. :cheers

Which I also believe adds a memory leak for any ship that gets sunk, as those extra, hex-edited .dll memory allocations don't get deleted by the engine either.
I believe you immediately. And that might also finally explain these long-standing issues that we've had no clue how to fix:
Engine Limitation - Graphical Anomalies
Engine Limitation - Different Flags Mod: Flags Shown on Mast of Wrong Ship

@konradk did a tremendous job in hacking such a fancy feature into the game as well as he did.
But it is still a hack. And with access to the game engine, for certain it must be possible to do a better job.

As obviously you did!
Thank you for that. :bow

I'm pretty sure NH has both pennant and flag locators on the masts (not sure why it was necessary but ..) - the newer engine obviously can handle both so you get them both,

Your question about ship surrender - it is in AIship in SEA_AI

I'm looking into that now. Trying my best to make it playable on Maelstrom Engine just like on 2.0 engine.

any idea why my savegames always go as "incompatible save"? Also, in the game configuration menu (the one where you can choose your ship, char etc.), text is completely messed up and always starts with |==standardstoryline.c==|

any idea why my savegames always go as "incompatible save"? Also, in the game configuration menu (the one where you can choose your ship, char etc.), text is completely messed up and always starts with |==standardstoryline.c==|

I don't know why, my save games work just fine. For the |==standardstoryline.c==| error, took me a while to figure it out. Just delete the INI folder and replace it with the one that I provided in my .rar that I just posted here.

well deleting the INI-Folder did the trick for both problems. You didn't include the lanterns lightning yet, did you?

I'm pretty sure NH has both pennant and flag locators on the masts (not sure why it was necessary but ..) - the newer engine obviously can handle both so you get them both,

Your question about ship surrender - it is in AIship in SEA_AI

Which part in AIShip.c defines the surrender ratio? I need to lower it quite a bit if possible.

I already did, I just need to check where those changes where, so I can merge them back. Will post the files here then.

The surrender ratio is in internalsettings.h , though I don't know if there are more ratios.

Well the Lanterns are indeed already included in your current version, but they don't update in 3D. I honestly can't remember if I ever fixed this though.. need to check with my old Maelstrom NH version

Well the Lanterns are indeed already included in your current version, but they don't update in 3D. I honestly can't remember if I ever fixed this though.. need to check with my old Maelstrom NH version

Yep, they weren't added to AIShip.c though. I added the lines, but still they don't work. Are you sure they work in NH?

They do, they just don't update in 3D. And you probably don't have that many ships with the locators needed, yet. Like I said, I need to test if it updated in 3D in my earlier version

Well I did indeed not manage to get the 3D update to work. It doesn't update in my earlier version either. I don't know why it doesn't though, cause it uses the very same code that @ChezJfrey uses in GOF: ERAS II

Last edited:
Back