• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Porting New Horizons to Maelstrom Engine

Working lanterns is all I ever wanted from NH :onya
They do really add to the atmosphere, don't they?

Same thing bud, since I started modding, I have no time to play the game xD
No problem, we will fix them all, I will need people to actually play the mod. I haven't properly played it since I got into this :D
Welcome to MY world, mateys!
I haven't properly played New Horizons in over 10 years.
Let alone any of the other games in the series.

I wished that I could.
But there's only 24 hours in a day.
And only 1 of me.
With a real-life job AND a real-life sailboat.
Therefore tough choices must be made. :facepalm

Both cool guys who help me a lot with this project :cheers
It sure does appear so! :bow

I have vacation for two weeks starting next week. I will definitly play your latest update a bit and see if I catch any nasty bugs. Other than that, I will try to do a few more ship models that currently haven't the proper lantern locators

I have vacation for two weeks starting next week. I will definitly play your latest update a bit and see if I catch any nasty bugs. Other than that, I will try to do a few more ship models that currently haven't the proper lantern locators

Just wait for the final update which I'm preparing together with Jeffrey. It will be released soon with many fixes. What you can do in the meantime, check ships like sloop of war, some of them have wrong sail locators that need to be fixed. Jeffrey fixed one of them, but I think all sloops have that bug in Maelstrom. Also make sure you download latest Maelstrom version, since many fixes have been done in the engine itself to make it compatible with NH.

I'm happy to inform you that we managed to port the 2.8 weather system. We started with @mitrokosta and then @ChezJfrey fixed some scripts that were causing a lot of errors and also fixed the problem with some shores displaying wrong (green grass) textures instead of yellow beach. Everything works smootly now. We have also implemented new sky boxes. This has fixed many issues, cause with original NH weather it was spinning only 11 sky textures, so at night time it would display day sky texture, which was making everything look bad. Now night time is night time.
With ChezJfrey's help, we also managed to fix all the wrong sail locators so now the sails work on all ships that we have tested.

4iF7L9m.jpg

pWEHp4a.jpg

F3wP6ld.jpg

O8F4JUk.jpg

BqA9uyE.jpg

There are two projects now, which upgrade the engine of POTC. Where is the difference between the two?

There is no much difference. Our project here is for Maelstrom engine, it is a custom engine based on original 2.8 engine, but with countless improvements. The other POTC project is related to 2.9 engine which is being developed by @Hammie and his team. If you are confused, this is all happening cause original Storm developers released the source code to the public which is an awesome thing in my opinion.

Yesterday we added fatigue into New Horizons mod. Now player and AI have energy just like in COAS and the combat system becomes more tactical.

Mod is updated [17.08.2021]
New Horizons by ChezJfrey

- ported 2.8 weather system
- player/enemies get energy drained when fighting
- new sky boxes
- fixed the irritating "die bandito" battle shouts
- fixed all the interface bugs
- fixed all known crashes to desktop
- countless other fixes that I cannot remember anymore...

I like the flames and the grey smoke when firing the ship guns. Have you removed the talking heads in
the dialogs?

I like the flames and the grey smoke when firing the ship guns. Have you removed the talking heads in
the dialogs?

I haven't removed them, they are engine limitation. In 2.8 engine they don't exist. They must have removed them in 2.5 engine and kept that way.

Hmm, I sort of liked them. Not to talk about the work I've put in to give new characters those heads.

Updated [18.08.2021]
- fixed the missing World Map islands when using brown interface
- fixed the heavy flickering that occured when speeding up in World Map
- fixed some RESOURCE file searches and lookups

With ChezJfrey's help, we also managed to fix all the wrong sail locators so now the sails work on all ships that we have tested.
For quick testing of ALL ships, you can use this console code:
Code:
           if(!Checkattribute(pchar,"cheatship")) Pchar.cheatship = 0;
           int con = sti(Pchar.cheatship);
           if(con<SHIP_TYPES_QUANTITY)
           {
               GiveShip2Character(pchar,ShipsTypes[con].id,"Test Ship",-1,ENGLAND,true,true);
               Pchar.cheatship = con +1;
           }
           TraceAndLog("*************************** Ship : " + ShipsTypes[con].id + " , Index : " + con + " ");

player/enemies get energy drained when fighting
Just to check... does that have a toggle for players who happen to like it old-school?

fixed the irritating "die bandito" battle shouts
:rofl

fixed all known crashes to desktop
Nice!
Those do still seem to happen occasionally.
More regularly than we'd like for some people. :diomed

Hmm, I sort of liked them. Not to talk about the work I've put in to give new characters those heads.
I think @Hammie is having some difficulties with those in his Storm Engine Upgrade version as well.
If I'm not mistaken, the code to put the talking heads in place is simply not there in Storm 2.5 and later.
So if we insist on having them, it'll effectively require adding a brand new feature.
Might be done eventually; but the only thing that makes sense is to do that once all more crucial gameplay elements are covered and tested... :facepalm

I like the flames and the grey smoke when firing the ship guns.
@Mirsaneli, is that because the particle system was completely changed?
Does the new system in any way support having the old functionality?

Back