• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Porting New Horizons to Maelstrom Engine

Skills?
Or Abilities?
Adding new skills would be quite a job; those are scattered ALL through the game code, and interfaces!

Hmm...
That makes me think of a dream of mine:
Bringing PotC:NH and CoAS closer together.
If possible with ERAS too.
Because whatever need is there for all these to be separate?
Perks. Sorry, I just stopped playing other games. I'm thinking of complete skill trees.
Like fencer, sailor, merchant, etc. You would have to chose wisely, because almost all the perks would have tiers (such as the battle state perks), but a tier 1 perk would require 1 point, a tier 2 two points, etc. And a good prerequisite-system to them, so you wouldn't be able to just throw points everywhere.

And bringing the games closer together? EXACTLY!

A c..p ton of new ships, places, weapons, enemies in one game, within one playthrough would be awesome. You would feel yourself with your character less "restricted", go sail to new archipelagos from the other games, and adapt to the local environment/people. So much opportunities (and SO much work...).

But hey it would be a big challenge, and if it works, it worth it!

sail to new archipelagos from the other games
For me, that's the #1 tricky bit.
@Adamski62 quite wants to see an upgrade of the original 2000 Sea Dogs.
The most feasible approach I see personally though is to make one brand new worldmap.
Ideally one that is true-to-life; and includes also the areas outside the Caribbean.

I'm imagining along the lines of Virtual Sailor there, which probably not many here are familiar with (yet).
But that allows full-world navigation; and users can add local sailing areas themselves.
An approach like that would go a long way to avoid having to make the entire world in one single go.

But hey it would be a big challenge, and if it works, it worth it!
With some cooperation, we might be able to get somewhere.
Had some brainstorming along those lines with @Mirsaneli, @Hammie and @Strannik this past weekend too.

Hey guys,
all of your great progress on this project got me to trying out New Horizons on Maelstrom for myself!
One thing that I noticed: When I go to the tavern at the very beginning of the "Hoist the Colours" storyline, my game keeps crashing. Is this due to a corrupted installation on my behalf, or are you able to replicate that behaviour?

Yes that's unfortunately the Tortuga tavern which lets the game crash ATM. I noticed that a couple of days before, too. We will try to fix that asap

By the way, is there a thread for bugs regarding New Horizons on Maelstrom?
I have noticed one more thing:
I tried to play Tales of Sea Hawk but right at the beginning, after talking to the sailor in the captain's cabin, when he informs me where I can find my gear, he doesn't want to talk to me again, as soon as I am done loading up my gear. If I don't select that option in that conversation, but instead tell him that I know everything, he disappears from the cabin and I can get out of it, but I am then stuck on the boat and there is no option in the in-game-menu to moor or go to sea.

Last edited:
no, since we are mainly active on discord.

I didn't try to manually search my gear yet, but the other option is definitly working. You need to get to the exit location of your ship's deck.. was like that since always ;)

One last thing: At the beginning of Woodes Rogers (06), when I go down the stairs in the shipyard to shipyard shore, the game crashes at the loading screen of shipyard shore. I don't think I will be able to continue my playthrough for now, though if it helps, I could upload my save file.

@DH27 please try entering Tortuga Tavern again and have some patience. Apparently it is working but currently that location has a whole bunch of errors. It looks like it's crashed but it's not ;)

You are right, I should have been more patient :D, shipyard shore and tortuga tavern are both working this way ;)

I think I have found a proper bug this time as I have quickly tested the behaviour in the Storm Engine version of the game and it doesn't occur over there. I am currently on Woodes Rogers (07), at the part with the church choir room. I went to the father in the church, received the robe and went back to the church choir room to get the pick lock from the violin. That went flawlessly and I used the pick lock on the last chest behind the counter. This is also working fine and the pick lock gets removed from my inventory and is visibly stuck in the chest. However, I am not able to open the chest after having the lock picked, the chest remains locked, meaning that I can't get the needed handle out of the chest. I reloaded the save file from a couple of locations back as well as started a new game (cheating my way back to this part of the story), the behaviour remains the same.

That's something @Mirsaneli should / could maybe answer since I know he's been playing Woodes Rodgers for quite a time on Maelstrom now without problems.

I never got much into that Story as I like free roaming storylines more. And I also advice to come to our Discord, we can help a lot faster there and also there are some experimental branches and not-released content that might interest you ;)

I made a quick test by using Blackbeard's head in the very first cabin. Set cheatmode on for him to show up.
Choose part 1 and church choir room (jump start nr 14).
I could open the chest with the handle after using the pick lock. :confused:

Tomorrow I'll play from an old save game to see if it differs when playing the story from the beginning.

Tomorrow I'll play from an old save game to see if it differs when playing the story from the beginning.
No I didn't have those anymore. Anyway I played WR from the beginning and beyond this situation in november without any problems.
That and my latest test were both with the old engine though.

This is what should happen after you picked up the lock pick: (the lockpick is equipped like a blade)

1) icon hand, F3: fightmode
2) icon hand, F3: lock picking sound, reload, the lock pick is placed in the chest
3) icon chest, F3: open it

I have attached my latest Maelstrom savefile, it's just short of putting the lock pick into the chest.

No I didn't have those anymore. Anyway I played WR from the beginning and beyond this situation in november without any problems.
That and my latest test were both with the old engine though.
I suppose the bug is only occuring in Maelstrom. When I tried to recreate it in the Storm engine version, everything went flawlessly.

I have attached my latest Maelstrom savefile, it's just short of putting the lock pick into the chest.

I suppose the bug is only occuring in Maelstrom. When I tried to recreate it in the Storm engine version, everything went flawlessly.

It is possible that there is an engine missmatch. Do you have the save game?

I have uploaded my save game into this dropbox folder, because the forum attachments don't accept this type of file.
Do you need other files like the compile file as well?

I have uploaded my save game into this dropbox folder, because the forum attachments don't accept this type of file.
Do you need other files like the compile file as well?

Thank you. No, I will get the compile from this test save.

@DH27
Here's the fixed chest error for WR storyline. Hope there aren't other bugs out there...

Attachments

• quests_reaction.c
    3.2 MB · Views: 85
Back