• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Poseidon

I actually had a posideon with my freetrader character when I played PotBS . I'm looking forward to getting my hands on her for PotC. I'm just curious how easy will she be to repaint for making variants?

You guys also mentioned a Raa frigate any pics of her available yet?

Hi, she has a texture for each color, for example the yellow part has a textur, the black part has a texture etc, so you have only to change that textures for have more variants, i haven't started the works on the raa yet, but i'll start after the release of the surprise... ;)

How long does it usually take to do the locator coding or any other model coding for that matter on ships as I don't know anything about making 3d models as much as I wish I did so I could contribute as well.

Well to add all locators to a new ship of this size, it does take a while.
She has around 60 cannons, and each needs its own locator in the exact right position.
Also, many ropes have to be added in order to make the ship more realistic. But not 100%, otherwise there would be countless ropes. :wacko:
It's quite straightforward once you notice patterns in the locators, but the real killer is the trial-and-error stage of getting the damn things in exactly the right place. :whipa
But it's also much quicker if you have experience in editing locators. That doesn't mean to say that, if you've never seen locators before, it will take forever, though.
It just takes some getting used to, as making the locators for a whole ship seems a bit daunting if you've never done it before. :8q

My advice, if you want to help, is to start small. :dance
I put a guide on the FTP a while ago, which details how to move a flag from a flagpole onto the spanker sail of a ship, using locators.
As it happens, I've recently found a quicker way to do this, so I'll update the guide if you're interested.

And I apologise for the delays with this ship. Since I'm doing so many other things at once, it's hard to find time to do it.. :facepalm
For example, porting pgargon's fixed ships doesn't take too long, but my free time is not great.
Plus, the long-awaited film-accurate HMS Surprise needs the final locators added before release. So Poseidon has to wait, for the time being.
But I assure you that you will be sailing her before Christmas! :xmas

I'm pretty sure most ship modelers add their locators in Maya, where I think it's possible to do so through modeling rather than trial-and-error.
Sounds to me like that'd be a much more time-efficient way to do it, but I'd think that'd need to be Jack Harrison doing it then.
Either the original modeler or another modeler, because learning a modeling program isn't as easy as learning to use the TOOL. :facepalm

I'm pretty sure most ship modelers add their locators in Maya, where I think it's possible to do so through modeling rather than trial-and-error.
That would explain why there's so many long decimals and so few exact numbers. :wacko:

I wish I could. :wacko: I just use TOOL. :facepalm

Is the Poseidon model we've got supposed to Portuguese or Dutch? That's what she's set up as, apparently, to my big surprise. :shock

Jabberdau should've been added to the Modders group a long time ago; welcome, mate! :woot

She's a Danish ship, I believe it was Oldenborg of 1744, not sure though. The decorations are based on Le Fleuron 1737, so I'd say she's French if Danish isn't available. :)

I was being silly... there's three versions: Poseidon, RN_Poseidon and Fleuron. RN_Poseidon is obviously British, Fleuron is French. So what about the common Poseidon? Portuguese? She certainly doesn't look Dutch to me.

She doesn't really look Portuguese or Spanish, either. :shrug
Maybe just go with Portuguese anyway, especially due to the lack of custom ships we have for that nation in PotC.

Back