• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

possible missing files

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
The patch 5 install I'm using is a clean install. I started from the cd's and dled build 14 beta 1 full and patch 5, and then installed them. So this is all new and clean. Today I have been getting a bunch of ctd's. Looking at the logs, especially system.log, it appears this install has some missing files causing the ctd's. My first thought is I got a bad download. Could someone check and verify please?

I don't think it's a bad download, there just seems to be many missing textures.

I get an astonishing amount of crashes whilst boarding, it really is frustrating to the point that I've removed the clause to prevent saving whilst in combat at sea so that I can quickly get back to where I was before the crash (unfortunately it doesn't work properly whilst boarding). I don't know if the missing textures are the problem, but I do find that model.dll is most often the culprit, particularly when the crash occurs whilst my character collides with another object, other times it's sea_ai.dll that's faulting. The question is whether it's the engine or the scripts that's the problem, if it's as simple as a missing texture then it is easily fixed by either including the file or removing any references to it.

The truth is that these problems should be weeded out before the release is made.

That's my question. Are there missing textures or are there calls for non existent textures?

I think some are missing, one example is that I had a problem with standard white sails not showing on some ships, including my own, so I copied another sail texture, but so far as I could tell it was hardly causing the game to dysfunction.

If a texture is not present then I'd have thought that the model, or part of it, will either be transparent, a wire-frame or it'll have a default colour applied to it. So as long as the model is okay then the object should interact with other entities as normal. This is why I think the model, or links in a script to the model, of some objects have a problem, I don't think it's missing textures that are causing the crashes.

None of this should be the reason for the crash; there is some textures that are referenced by model files, but not actually used.
The only two that interest me are these:
Can't load texture resource\textures\SHIPS\RSD_1.TGA.tx
Can't load texture resource\textures\SHIPS\2011009.TGA.tx
Can't load texture resource\textures\SHIPS\201103DSDA.TGA.tx
Can't load texture resource\textures\SHIPS\NEPTUNEHEAD COPY.TGA.tx
Do you know what ships were around at that time?

I cannot recall what ships they were, only that they were ai ships on the far side of the island.

Can't load texture resource\textures\SHIPS\NEPTUNEHEAD COPY.TGA.tx

There is a file called neptunehead_copy.tga in there though.

That install is deleted. Too many errors. I just started over this morning, and that install does not have the other three items either. Since others have reported missing files, I'm tentatively leaning towards bad downloads as being the culprit. :nerbz

So far as my installation goes...

• RSD_1.TGA.tx
    Exists in Resources\Textures and also Resources\Textures\Ammo
  • NEPTUNEHEAD COPY.TGA.tx
    Exists in Resources\Textures with an underscore, not a space
  • 2011009.TGA.tx
    Does not exist
  • 201103DSDA.TGA.tx
    Does not exist
NEPTUNEHEAD is probably a figurehead, which is certainly fitting considering that Neptune was God of the Ocean.

I can tell you that these models refer to NEPTUNEHEAD without an underscore...

• FR_Frigate_deck
  • FrenchWarship_deck
  • RN_Warship_deck
And these refer to it with an underscore...

• Cutter3_18_deck
  • frigate4_44_deck
  • SP_Frigate_deck
  • US_HeavyWarship_deck
As such, I'd simply make a copy of this file so that there is one with and another without the underscore. Better still, rename the texture and edit all of the relevant models so that they each refer to NeptuneHead.tga.tx, that really would simplify things. I don't know if this file belongs in the ships directory, though.

I have a feeling that RSD_1 is also a figurehead, it is referenced by a fair few ships' deck models. I would just copy this to the textures or ships directory, whichever it's supposed to be in.

2011009 and 201103DSDA are being referenced by Merchant11_mast3 and Merchant11_deck respectively.

RSD_1.TGA.tx is an original model going by its date.

NEPTUNEHEAD is a figurehead.

Merchant11 is an old ship that is scheduled to be removed from PotC.

So, it looks like this is not a bad download but old clutter that needs to be cleaned up.

Thanks a lot for the list of files that use the neptune head with a space; I tried to change all to use an underscore, but apparently missed some.
I have now changed the references in my game to DO use an underscore, so those should no longer show up in the next release.

As for the others, there is some textures that are references by model files but not actually used.
I have left those out since it increases modpack size without adding anything; however, that does cause system.log entries.

You generally don't need to worry too much about missing textures, unless you also see any gray areas on models.
If that is the case, be sure to let me know where on which model and we'll get it sorted.

Back