• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

POTC loads but wont start a new game on win7 ultimate

Bikes4life

Landlubber
Hello, recently i had a very old pc, on-board graphics (only 128mb) and couldnt get the game to load, i noticed that the on-board graphics can be a issue esp if its Intel, so i went and got a ToshibaC660/C660D model with annoyingly on-board graphics but was ALOT newer than my last so i thought this would help and it did, i can get past the load engine at the beginning so i thought great :)

Then i clicked the new game and the game shut down instantly :( i re-installed the game thinking some file was corrupt but no, everytime i press New Game, the game closes down instantly, ive looked on the forums (but got lost alot) for a solution and i keep seeing a link to some patch, SwiftShader V2.0, but i go to download it and it says...

"File Deleted. The file you are trying to view (SwiftShader V2.0 Demo - SwiftShader_V2.0_Demo.1.exe) uploaded byPieter_Boelen has been deleted and is no longer available."

So my question is, can i be helped? Because i love this game when it 1st came out and i would very very much like to play it again.

P.S. I have also installed it Outside the programs folder (made a new folder on C: )

There are other places where you can get SwiftShader, and more modern versions than 2.0 at that. Google is your friend. DuckDuckGo is also your friend and, unlike Google, doesn't track you. :ninja

Honestly, i dont even know what it is so i wouldnt even know what to download or if its the right 1 (if more than 1 version) and i know what other websites can be like for "hidden friends" getting into your pc so f someone could "point" me in the right direction i would be very grateful. At least if a Mod/Admin says "download" this i know what to get.

I just want to play POTC lol

If you still have Intel graphics and want to play the latest mod, then select the "Intel Fix" option when running the installer.
That will allow the game to run properly, but the sea will look slightly worse than normal.

EDIT: The latest mod is available here in two parts: http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons/downloads
Make sure you download the Beta 3.2 Installation Wizard AND Contents Archive.
The downloads do not contain malicious spyware or anything like that, so don't worry.
If you need any help with installation, let us know.

You install the Intel Fix or the Modpack to the same folder as your game.

It still says that its installed in-correctly but i tried to play a new game anyway and it did let me start a new game and allow me to play.... until the Oxley video came up and game freezes/crashes everytime. I have included a screenshot of the folder the game is installed in so you can see if the files are there.

http://prntscr.com/3tqioa

thank you for this help i am very grateful.

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. :sparrow

I have been searching for the specifications of your laptop and it seems Toshiba put anything and everything in it at one time ot the other.
So could you supply us with:
CPU type and speed
Memory (ram)

I suspect you have an Intel cpu and Intel integrated graphics. The Intel fix installed correctly in spite of what windoze says, as it is working.

The crashing at the video happens to low end hardware and to help there the video settings can be adjusted some.

In your POTC folder click on "engine". Not the skull but the one with the gear. It will look something like this.
engine.ini settings.jpg
This is mine. At the top you can set your screen resolution. Mine is 1920 X 1080. See if that helps.

If not the next step is to set it to 16 bit. Copy the 16 bit numbers to "screen_bpp".

Another thing to do is to reduce the background processes running in your computer. Basically what is happening is you are running out of memory and crashing the game. IoBit Advanced System Care 7 includes something called Turbo Boost. This turns off many of the things that are not needed for gaming and is a big help. There are other programs that do the same thing like Enditall. This might be your best bet. Good luck. :type1

With regards to what processors are running, i formatted the laptop and installed a clean version of win7 ultimate and the only thing thats installed is chrome, skype and POTC lol

my CPU is dual core 2.1Gb

3Gb of RAM

And yes its a on-board graphics but it says i have a 1.3Gb but i think thats lying lol i work for a online pirate game anyway (dont worry i wont say what 1) and the on-board is acting like it has at least a 512mb so i dont think the power is the issue.

And Advanced SystemCare, i live by that thing, already got it ;) and ive set the resolution to the lowest settings and run in 16bit and yet the game still crashes alot, but every time when i get to the Oxley video.

If you have ASC try Turbo Boost. It can't hurt. I just turned it on and it turned off 16 services/apps and released 269mb of ram. Win8.1 here. LOL! I still have 69 apps/processes running according to task manager. :facepalm

Last gasp effort. :pirates

Turn on task manager (alt-ctrl-delete) and click on "performance". I just recently went from Win7 64 Pro to Win8.1 64. With win7 this rig was using 2.4gb to 3gb of ram while doing nothing, but right now it is only using 1.6gb of ram. :8q

You only have 3gb of ram so it is possible that you are simply running out of ram when the videos play. :shrug If so you might be able to buy more ram.

Last edited:
Thats ok i'll have to get used to remembering the game for now lol thank you for all your help and your time into trying to help :)

Back