• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved PotC on Mac & CTDs

MightyMonster

Landlubber
Ahoy maties!

First of all, I am new to this forum, but I've been lurking for quite some time now. :yes
From what I've seen, you guys have a great community, so I applaud you for that!

But let's get to business,
I've been busy for a while trying to get the Pirates of the Caribbean (Sea Dogs 2) game to work on Mac OS X, and 'lo and behold, I did it! :doff

I have also been able to use the amazing mod New Horizons/Build 14 on my Macbook and have been playing the game for some time now.

This all thanks to Paul the Tall's game ports: http://paulthetall.com/pirates-of-the-caribbean-mac/

The problem is, I have a lot of CTD's while playing the game, mainly while going to new areas, for example: going from the Map to the Sea, or going from the Ship to Sea etc.
I hope you guys are able to help me with these problems so we can do our best to make this (already great) game available on the Mac OS X platforms! :D

:ahoymate!

You got POTC working on your MAC? Great! :bow

I know nothing about the specs on Macs, but the ctds you describe usually happen to those with intel graphics. It might also be a lack of memory problem.

Hey there, Hylie! :)

So you suggest I should try the SwiftShaders mod, or clean up my Macbook? :checklist
If it helps, here are my specs:

Model Name:MacBook Pro
Model Identifier:MacBookPro7,1
Processor Name:Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed:2,4 GHz
Number of Processors:1
Total Number of Cores:2
L2 Cache:3 MB
Memory:4 GB
Bus Speed:1,07 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce 320M:
Chipset Model:
NVIDIA GeForce 320M
Type:GPU
Bus:PCI
VRAM (Total):256 MB
Vendor:NVIDIA (0x10de)

I'm not very good with computers, by the way...

I'm no good with laptops but we can look at some things.

Some laptops with nvidia graphics also have intel graphics and POTC for some reason runs on the intel graphics, which causes all kind of problems.

4 gb of ram isn't much by modern standards. I don't know what your system needs to run or if the video card uses some of it too.

Ah, it looks like there's a mistake in my previous post, I actually have 250 GB, of which 63,32 is free, I guess this should be enough, right?
I've also installed the SwiftShaders mod, and will be playing it a few times to test run it!

I'll keep you updated! :doff

Ahoy MightyMonster, welcome aboard mate!

I don't believe the Intel Core 2 Duo had built in graphics, I am not at all familiar with Mac so I don't know what controller chipset they used in their laptops. Since you were able to get the game working, your graphics chipset is likely not the issue, but graphics memory may very well be. Your 320M only has 256 meg of memory, and that is shared memory with the laptop. I really have no clue how to adjust that on a Mac, or if you can even get in to the BIOS of a mac to do so. but if you can find a way to increase that memory to at least 512, that should help. That will of course, also lower your overall system ram, so make sure you have no other programs running in the background.

Some of the CTD's you describe are normal for the game, it was not very well playtested before it was launched and there are a lot of bugs built in. We have done our best to relegate some those over the years, but we couldn't do anything with the ones that are hard coded in the engine its self. It is likely that Swiftshader will cause a LOT more issues for you than it solves and you will most likely have to re-install the game to get rid of all the effects. The Intel fix is much more effective, though there are still some issues.

I do know OS X is a variant of Linux, I am assuming that you already have WINE installed?

Ahoy Thagarr! :D

UPDATE:
I've just played the game again (not too long, mind you), and It did crash again when I went from the Map to the Sea.
I cannot say if the SwiftShaders mod causes more problems for I've only encountered the mentioned CTD.
I've also installed the Intel Fix and got rid of SwiftShaders, so I'll be testing that again soon!

Currently I'm looking for a way to adjust the shared memory on my Mac.

I'd like to thank you guys already for the time you took to help, of course, we're/I'm not there yet, but this is a fun research to do! :napoleon

I'm surprised you even managed to find SwiftShader; thought I deleted it years ago, because the Intel fix is much better for performance.

Ahoy maties! xD

I've been playing PotC on my Mac again, here is an update:

UPDATE:
I've installed the Intel fix, got rid of the SwiftShader mod and played again.
The game did run very stable, actually, I've gone to Sea, did some quests, even got into a fight with two pirate ships and boarded them, being eventually able to loot the bodies, sink the ship and get away, all that without a single crash!
After a while, I did get a CTD, but as you've mentioned before, it is nothing out of the ordinary and I'm saving a lot, so it isn't a big problem! :doff

One thing I've noticed is that the cutscenes don't start when playing the game, I haven't done any research to fix this yet as this is something I've noticed today, but if there are any suggestions or tips, please feel free to let me know! :yes

Thank you all very much for the help you've gave me already, it is stable enough to play on Mac OSX now, even with the New Horizons mod!

That's cool, that is! :woot

As for the cutscenes, those are regular video files. Can't remember the format though, might be WMV. Check your RESOURCE\VIDEOS folder to be sure.
If they indeed are WMV, that might explain why they don't work for you: Windows video files on a Mac sounds like it may not work straight away.

Back