• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

PoTC: On Stranger Tides

Actually, that wasn't George the first depicted in the movie, it was George the second. The film takes place in the year 1750 according to Terry Rossio.

Ah! So now we have yet another timeline conflict. So middle aged Blackbeard who was known during his 20s to be a brave and able seaman from a good family in the wars of the 1690's, died in 1718 during his 40s....and this is 32 years later? I guess we know why he wants the water of the fountain now. He's an elderly Blackbeard in his 70s. The Bermuda pirates from which Blackbeard arose, became pirates because they were out of work after Queen Anne's War and the suspension of hostilities during William III's reign. That particularly famous group was the last gasp of energy of the golden age of piracy which saw it's decline after 1730. Pirate encounters were a rare occasion in the sea lanes after that time. I guess we now know why....because Blackbeard had all their ships bottled up in his closet.

Regarless of first or second. Commentators from George the Third's time speak of a hint of a German accent and go on to comment about German being spoken at the dinner table between himself and Queen Charlotte (a German Princess). George the Second was born and raised in Hanover Germany and spoke German as his primary language. He was openly criticized during his reign for the amount of time he spent in Germany and the attention he paid to mangaging affairs among the bordering German states to the east. He at least did speak English, French and Italian. However, I think a historical George the Second would still have had a prevalent German accent, not the foppish overblown blue blood accent we were given in the theater.

MK

Apparently, Blackbeard didn't die at Okrakoke, and he put a double in his place or something before going to save the wreckage of theQAR. That is the theory on the wiki (which I am a part of)

As Blood suggested the movie I think is loosely set during the mid to late 1700's although there are many elements that don't fit the time frame so there isn't always going to be a strict interpretation of actual history.

Just imagine that the PoTC movies take place in an alternate time line and everything will be okay :doff

As Blood suggested the movie I think is loosely set during the mid to late 1700's although there are many elements that don't fit the time frame so there isn't always going to be a strict interpretation of actual history.

Just imagine that the PoTC movies take place in an alternate time line and everything will be okay :doff

LOL! :rolleyes: OK, just like the new Star Trek movie! Yeay! OK I can live with that. :shrug OK, SO I think in this universe, because the pirates were still active long after our own historical timeline, they continue to prey on the British sea lanes and cripple both Yankee and British trade to the point that the Dutch finally have to take care of the problem. Given this scenario, it is decided by the Heeren 17 that the Dutch reverse the decision agreed to by the treaty of Breda and reoccupy New Amsterdam and New Netherlands. Given this outcome, the United States never comes about because the British loose the subsequent trade war and the Dutch sponsoring thousands of German immigrants becomes the dominant power in America.

Also the Dutch now expand their territories in Malaysia, Indonesia, Ceylon/India and the spice Islands because of the downfall of the British East India Company to the Flying Dutchman and increased English/Bermuda pirates. As a result, New Holland (Australia) becomes a Dutch colony. Because of this imbalance, Britain loses the inevitable struggle culminating in the 5th Anglo Dutch War and then the subsequent Napoleonic wars - allowing France to become the dominant world super power, which even though she still loses to Russia, is able to retain all of her German territories (Confederation of the Rhine).

Because the pirates under Barbossa share the secret of Greek Fire with all the other Pirates, instead of the historical decline of Piracy in our timeline, piracy increases in this timeline to the point that the enfeebled British Navy is never able to bring the Republic of Libertalia (Pirate Republic of Madagascar) under heel, and as a result many small Pirate republics spread througout the world. Barbossa becomes the President of Libertalia.

Also, both Barbossa and Sparrow assisted by Angelica discover many of the voodoo magic secrets of Blackbeard and voodoo spreads around the globe, eventually becoming the religion of the Pirate republics. Enterprising pirates cash in on enterprising aspects of the new voodoo and sell the secrets to the world powers. Slavery is abolished early, replaced by zombie laborers. Shipyards maximize their dock space by storing ships in bottles. Navies save millions, and voodoo suplants many industrial inventions. Also with voodoo curses and dolls, a new form of state sponsored assassinations occur. In this timeline the ancestors of the creator of the computer, the microchip, and Bill Gates great great great grandfather are all killed by voodoo. So ships continue to be made of wood and the fashionable style is to build them with giant overbearing ass ends. Also computers are never invented so we can't play our video games.

Wooo HOOO!!!!! :will I'll go ahead and start writing the next POTC movie then.

MK

I guess that makes me Dutch then! I better start making a transition from German and start to learn Dutch....Mihnijer (or how ever you Dutch spell it) :hmm

*NOTE: because Parliament refused to have any more Catholics or Stewarts on the throne (George was from Hanover - House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, later changed to Windsor to make it sound more English) George succeeded the Dutch King of England William III (Prince Stadtholder of Holland) and he was known to have never learned or spoken English, his exagerated expressions and body language (two thumbs up) was just out there and not funny or believeable.

Don't forget Queen Anne ( between William lll and George l ) - she always gets ignored because she never did any harm to anyone except the French :rofl

PS George l to Queen Victoria is the House of Hanover -- House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha is Edward Vll (1902-1910? I think ) from his dad Prince Albert ( Victoria's husband )

Very good review of the film. :yes

:cheers

I stand corrected. Yeah I forgot about Anne's 12 year reign in between. I shouldn't go from memory. I updated the review. http://www.piratesahoy.net/ Thanks mate

MK

LOL @ modernknight1! The Dutch and the Pirates will rule the world, eh? The pirates are quite honourable in the films, so that wouldn't be that much of a bad thing. Just a bit anarchistic and potentially messy.
What about the Rule of the Dutch then? We haven't seen them in the movies yet, but if the PotC-related Dutch that we know are anything to go on, it sounds like the world of PotC won't be so bad off. :razz

Don't forget Queen Anne ( between William lll and George l ) - she always gets ignored because she never did any harm to anyone except the French :rofl
She's remembered in her Revenge though. :cheeky

In this timeline the ancestors of the creator of the computer, the microchip, and Bill Gates great great great grandfather are all killed by voodoo. So ships continue to be made of wood and the fashionable style is to build them with giant overbearing ass ends

Hmmm, maybe this vooddoo thing may have some appealing aspects to it after all...

Also computers are never invented so we can't play our video games. Wooo HOOO!!!!! :will

then again, maybe not ...you almost had me there mate ...almost!!! :facepalm

And The Cinco Llagas, now renamed Arabella, is the most feared pirate ship from the DC area to the Chesapeake Bay!

But then they rebuilt her during her last refit to be contemporary in the Neo-Voodoo enlightenment era with a giant exagerated stern aftercastle and renamed her Arabella-Winnebago's Revenge. To compensate for her now horrible top heavy ship handling characteristics they added outrigger sections imbued with voodoo magic to prevent capsizing in storms.

MK

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have a crew of zombie pirates as well. My first mate is named Jeremy "Da Zombie" Pitt.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have a crew of zombie pirates as well. My first mate is named Jeremy "Da Zombie" Pitt.

Well, I just managed to refloat the HMS Providence by using voodoo combined with Steampunk science and was able to create mermaid resistant magical diving suits. We also created mini-greek fire powered spear guns and were able to fill the hold with mermaid meat. Should bring a good price.

My 1st Mate is now a Zombie Horse named El Kabong. He has a very particularly finicky diet. He will only eat the brains of bad writers. He's skulking about Disney studios somewhere as we speak.

MK

Well, I finally saw the movie. It was nice but.....no naval battles? Really? :modding Not even a small skirmish with the Spanish. :facepalm

I did also miss that. In PotC 3 they denied us a fleet-vs-fleet battle and now they don't have one at all.
I imagine that sea battles are very expensive and they did have a lower budget this time around.
It was a nice film on the whole, I think, but it would've been nice with a sea battle.
Here's to hoping for PotC. After all, Jack has got access to LOTS of ships now. :cheeky

They've already completed the script for number 5 and number 4 has had great success, so I'm pretty sure number 5 will happen. They'd better, I wanna see the Pearl again in her full glory.
keith.gif

Actually, the script hasn't been written for number five yet, it was a hoax. Terry Rossio will begin writing it soon.

Back