• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

POTC Swords In Real Life

WindmillSlayer

Powder Monkey
I learned a lot about the various swords. Most are taken from copies of swords that Toledo Swords made at one time or another.

The Saber is clearly based off of a Polish or Russian cavalry type saber. An odd thing to find in the 1630s Caribbean.

The Rapier is based off of a typical Spanish cup-hilt rapier.

The Badelaire is another name for a type of Messer or Falchion. Very little on this sword exists.

The Cutlass is a basket-hilted cutlass. This same sword can be seen on the show called Conquest, the episode about pirate weapons. (Perhaps the developers' inspiration or a homage)

The Schiavona is, well, a Schiavona. Lol

The Yatagan is real. It's a Turkish blade once used by Janissaries.

The Dragon's Tongue is mostly fantasy, though it takes its image from a belly dancing prop I've found several times. Not many scimitars resemble that. (Except maybe the Dadao)

The Highlander is a Basket-hilted Claymore and truly Scottish. This can also be seen in that episode of Conquest.

The Maltese Knight Sword is a standard arming sword with a finger loop.

The Needle is just a fancy rapier. Not sure what nation of origin, though possibly French, German, or English. Not likely Spanish.

The Saber of Nicholas Sharp is called the English Saber by Toledo Swords, but it very closely resembles a Polish Szabla.

The Tizona is a Spanish longsword and national treasure. This is a shorter sword based on its unique guard pattern. It more closely resembles a Portuguese Carracks Black Sword than a Tizona.

The Falchion is a Falchion, but probably a late-period one as it has a thinner blade than early examples. Still, this sword would be out of date by this time.

The Brazo Del Colon is just an Iberian longsword, but decorated to commemorate Columbus. It appears at Toledo Swords.

The Squall is a Mongolian Ild saber. This can be seen on the show called Deadliest Warrior. It's also related to the Chinese Dao.

The Vagrant is a German or Italian rapier.

The Windmill Slayer is a Don Quixote pattern Spanish rapier (hence its name).

The Conquistador is an Espada Ropera.

The Flamigera is mostly fantasy but its name gives away its inspirations.

What does the Corsair's Pride look like?

The Silver Leaf is a swept-hilt rapier. I've found the exact pic they used for that sword. Most likely of French origin.

Swords whose pics I have discovered. These are all "screen used" swords as they really appear.

Squall: I found this one by accident. Look up "Genghis Khan Sword" and you'll find it.
: Squall

Conquistador: Cortes commemoration sword. Espada Ropera with a maroon grip. I sincerely doubt Cortes would actually have had his name inscribed on the blade, though. I wouldn't. Look up "Toledo Swords Hernan Cortes"

Silver Leaf-: I found this one by chance too.

Brazo Del Colon (Arm of Columbus... I think Espada del Colon would have been better.):

Flamigera: Exactly what its name says. One of the very few swords with its proper name.

Highlander: Basket Hilted Claymore (My real surname is of Scottish origin so this sword means a lot to me even though...let's face it. It's not that good in the stock game. Ornate though. Salutations to the poor highlander who died in the Redmond dungeon.)

Dragon's Tongue: Belly Dancing Prop. Seriously. I'm a fan of ancient Middle Eastern warriors and hot deserts, so I'm a fan of this sword. Also, it looks downright cool.

Falchion: Found this pic many times.

Vagrant: Venetian Rapier. Here is its pic in the real world:

Windmill Slayer: Honestly, I don't think a rapier should deal more damage than a falchion, scimitar, or saber. Don Quixote commemorative rapier of the Spanish cup-hilt style. Commonly carried by Conquistadors, there's a rather dubious claim that these are musketeer swords:

Saber of Nicholas Sharp: A sword very dubiously called the "British Saber"........It's actually a Szabla or Mamluk-pattern saber.

Cutlass: Standard basket-hilted cutlass. Its 0% block rating is ridiculous considering with the guard it should be one of the best defensive swords in the game.

Rapier: I hate this starting sword. It's so ugly that even my grandmother called it gaudy. The dev team hated it too. The description is just bashing it.

Yataghan: Nice sword. A bit weird but decent starting weapon.

I haven't found the in-game pics for the Schiavona, Maltese Knight Sword, Saber, or Dagger. I haven't found the Needle's either.

I found the "Piranha"'s pic once but lost it. It's a sword called the "15th Century infantry sword". Made by Del Tin.

Last edited:
Because the links are all wrong. The text "Silver Leaf" is not a web address. I recommend you check your previous post thoroughly again.

Swords whose pics I have discovered. These are all "screen used" swords as they really appear.
Squall: I found this one by accident. Look up "Genghis Khan Sword" and you'll find it.
9.JPG

Conquistador: Cortes commemoration sword. Espada Ropera with a maroon grip. I sincerely doubt Cortes would actually have had his name inscribed on the blade, though. I wouldn't. Look up "Toledo Swords Hernan Cortes"
425900%20CORTES2.jpg

Silver Leaf-: I found this one by chance too. Probably the best looking sword in the game and the least attainable...
swept-hilt-rapier.jpg

Brazo Del Colon (Arm of Columbus... I think Espada del Colon would have been better.):
swords-columbus-golden.jpg

Flamigera: Exactly what its name says. One of the very few swords with its proper name.
500.jpg

Highlander: Basket Hilted Claymore (My real surname is of Scottish origin so this sword means a lot to me even though...let's face it. It's not that good in the stock game. Ornate though. Salutations to the poor highlander who died in the Redmond dungeon.)
D45L-breitschwert-schottland,-schwert-d-highlander,-lederscheide.jpg

Dragon's Tongue: Belly Dancing Prop. Seriously. I'm a fan of ancient Middle Eastern warriors and hot deserts, so I'm a fan of this sword. Also, it looks downright cool.
314RCtxE-dL.jpg

Falchion: Found this pic many times.
falcion.jpg

Vagrant: Venetian Rapier. Here is its pic in the real world:
Venetian_Rapier.jpg

Windmill Slayer: Honestly, I don't think a rapier should deal more damage than a falchion, scimitar, or saber. Don Quixote commemorative rapier of the Spanish cup-hilt style. Commonly carried by Conquistadors, there's a rather dubious claim that these are musketeer swords:
don_quixote_rapier.jpg

Saber of Nicholas Sharp: A sword very dubiously called the "English Saber"........It's actually a Szabla or Mamluk-pattern saber.
sabre-swords-51.jpg

Cutlass: Standard basket-hilted cutlass. Its 0% block rating is ridiculous considering with the guard it should be one of the best defensive swords in the game.
A000067_L.jpg

Rapier: I hate this starting sword. It's so ugly that even my grandmother called it gaudy. The dev team hated it too. The description is just bashing it.
xss-s575amfs.jpg

I haven't found the in-game pics for the Schiavona, Maltese Knight Sword, Saber, or Dagger. I haven't found the Needle's either.
I found the "Piranha"'s pic once but lost it. It's a sword called the "15th Century infantry sword". Made by Del Tin. Here it is (Not the exact sword but one like it):
5159.jpg

When it says that the Schiavona is "used by Italian mercenaries", it was actually carried by Croatian mercenaries in the service of Venice, and subsequently adopted by the Italians as a sidearm.

I think the Needle is a Katzbalger, a type of German sword with a striking resemblance to the Needle.

When it says that the Schiavona is "used by Italian mercenaries", it was actually carried by Croatian mercenaries in the service of Venice, and subsequently adopted by the Italians as a sidearm.

I think the Needle is a Katzbalger, a type of German sword with a striking resemblance to the Needle.

@WindmillSlayer , you should work as a modder for new blades and guns ;)

If you want to learn to add or edit items to the game or the mod, take a look at the History and Tutorials manual located in the Documentation folder in the directory that you installed the New Horizons mod. On page 24 you will find a section entitled Creating New Items. These are old tutorials written by the original modders, some things have changed over the years, but the information is still mostly relevant.

Also, you can have a look through the modding tutorials on the forum HERE. If you run in to problems or have questions, there are a lot of people around here that are willing to help. Just remember that we are an international forum and it sometimes takes a while for someone to get around to answering your particular questions. I hope that helps, and good luck!

Back