• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Pre-Set French Nobleman Character

So, I checked out the Eden estate in the Woodes Rogers story, and I believe it would be a good player home when not being used in the rogers story. It is not hard to give the player his own home in POTC at all, just do a similar thing to the tavernkeeper/isabella dialogs and that and make it work in potc and cofig the loc for the players needs. The eden estate already has a ton of locators and that, so its gud.

@Vice Admiral Nelson: download the attached file and put it into "PROGRAM\Storyline\FreePlay". Then start a new game and see if your character keeps the rank you assign him.

Eden Estate doesn't exist outside the "Woodes Rogers" story, so you can't get there in any other storyline. In any case, we don't want to use a location specifically designed for that story. You could perhaps instead use the plantations on Guadeloupe or Eleuthera. The one on Guadeloupe works if you go back to making this character French. The one on Eleuthera works if he starts between 1680 (start of "Golden Age of Piracy" period) and 1769 (end of "Colonial Power" period) - in earlier periods the nearby town is Spanish, in later periods it's American.

It would not be too hard to use a house in any British town you like. There are plenty of unused houses in various towns. All it needs is a locator by the door - quite a lot already have a locator by the door which doesn't go anywhere at present. Edit the island's file in "PROGRAM\Locations\init", find the town location, and add a section to its reloads (the pieces of code with lines starting with 'Locations[n].reload.'). Then create a new location entry for the inside of the house.

Or you could use one of the mansions in Speightstown or Bridgetown. At present they have random occupants; your code to give the house to the player could easily remove them and perhaps put some permanent servant staff in there instead.

Attachments

• StartStoryline.c
    56 KB · Views: 127
@Vice Admiral Nelson: download the attached file and put it into "PROGRAM\Storyline\FreePlay". Then start a new game and see if your character keeps the rank you assign him.

Eden Estate doesn't exist outside the "Woodes Rogers" story, so you can't get there in any other storyline. In any case, we don't want to use a location specifically designed for that story. You could perhaps instead use the plantations on Guadeloupe or Eleuthera. The one on Guadeloupe works if you go back to making this character French. The one on Eleuthera works if he starts between 1680 (start of "Golden Age of Piracy" period) and 1769 (end of "Colonial Power" period) - in earlier periods the nearby town is Spanish, in later periods it's American.

It would not be too hard to use a house in any British town you like. There are plenty of unused houses in various towns. All it needs is a locator by the door - quite a lot already have a locator by the door which doesn't go anywhere at present. Edit the island's file in "PROGRAM\Locations\init", find the town location, and add a section to its reloads (the pieces of code with lines starting with 'Locations[n].reload.'). Then create a new location entry for the inside of the house.

Or you could use one of the mansions in Speightstown or Bridgetown. At present they have random occupants; your code to give the house to the player could easily remove them and perhaps put some permanent servant staff in there instead.
Aye, I get you. I just realized that, since the Eden Estate uses Box goto's and I cannot make those work outside of the quest anyways. I'd likely do just that, thanks. By mansions, you mean residences? Since I ALWAYS have buildingset turned off, they do not do the game good in my opinion, no offense. So, I'd likely config the plantation to be my own, and make a mansion nearby. Thanks. Making servant staff is easier than sinking ships in-game, and dialogs are just 0.1% harder than making the NPC's. But the plantations are NEEDED, since they go with the land idea, according to history at least.

I ALWAYS have buildingset turned off, they do not do the game good in my opinion, no offense.
That's fair enough; they're definitely very weird.
Even the original creator was very well aware of that.
And that's why there's a toggle.
You're allowed to have your personal preferences. :doff

That's fair enough; they're definitely very weird.
Even the original creator was very well aware of that.
And that's why there's a toggle.
You're allowed to have your personal preferences. :doff
True, and they are just not needed, and building them yourself in-game is just terrible, it messes up the location your in and the buildings look weird themselves. If we went by COAS, I know that the plantation models we use in POTC are from COAS, specifically Bridgetown. So maybe, just maybe, we could add a Plantation to Jamaica and config/add a mansion (Not just the townhall, although I know how to config the town and that into me being the Governor, but that aside, that would be too painful, and not worth it) and staff NPC's? Jamaica is just the best island/town in the game, especially model/texture-wise. All the characters I add are not normally real characters, since it's easier and more fun to make my own made-up characters, and since this is POTC and not an actual history book of a video game, it would not hurt to change some things here and there. And historically, Jamaica had MANY, MANY sugar plantations. Nvm, Jamaica wont work. But, I guess Eleuthera could be captured by England at some point in time, right? I could make it that way, if I so please.

Last edited:
Sorry for creating this other post, but I feel like the one before this is too long and has been edited too many times. I have completely redone the Eleuthera townhall complex, and I have/am adding characters to it right now, characters such as servants, an assistant, etc. After I am done with the mansion, I'll work on the Plantation's functions. Basically, I am taking code and inspiration from the building-set mansion dialogs, since they function almost exactly the way I need my assistant's dialog to function. Currently the mansion has a main hall, 2 bedrooms, an attic, a galley (kitchen) and a dining room. There is one stationary (but animated of course) servant by the main hall's doorway, and more servants to come once I have finished with the Assistant.

Eleuthera townhall should not be altered as it is used in both the "Assassin" and "Bartolomeu" storylines. The plantation should not be altered as it is used in the "Jack Sparrow" storyline. It won't do any harm to remove the slaves and slavers who currently populate the plantation, as you'll be doing that in the code for your character, who will only be used in FreePlay. You'll want to add the character definitions for your staff in "PROGRAM\Characters\init\Eleuthera.c", but leave them set to location "none" there so that they don't show up; you can then place them on the plantation in your character's code.

Sorry for creating this other post, but I feel like the one before this is too long and has been edited too many times.
Nothing wrong with the occasional two posts in a row.
If need be, we can always merge them together.

However, if you could please downsize your signature a bit, that'd be great.
As it is... it really is pretty massive. :razz

That signature image is 1920 x 632. Here's a smaller version, size 640x211.

Horatio_Nelson_Signature_640.png

@Vice Admiral Nelson: I've taken the liberty of changing your signature to point at the image above. Apart from being smaller, it has the advantage of being stored here on the forum rather than hot-linking to another site.

Back