• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Problem with coast guards not behaving as they should

jsv

Freebooter
Storm Modder
But it doesn't seem to do anything with this one, so I'll make a separate thread.
Ok, I won't yet, for I'm not sure WHAT exactly the problem is.
In brief, when you get caught, the summoned guards not always behave as they should. Sometimes they just stand there near the boat, stuck in the sea and doing nothing. But I can talk to them and fight them.
And sometimes they are complete ghosts, who are only good at blocking the path. :)
Doesn't seem to do anything with the fix, as I've seen that before.

I'll investigate further and THEN I'll create a new thread. :)

Some potential reasons for those errors:
- The guards aren't initialized on top of an existing locator
- They aren't made hostile to you
- They've got the wrong LAi type (somehow?)
- There are no "goto" locators in the shore location (I think that cannot apply to characters who should be chasing you on account of being hostile)

Ok, I won't yet, for I'm not sure WHAT exactly the problem is.
In brief, when you get caught, the summoned guards not always behave as they should. Sometimes they just stand there near the boat, stuck in the sea and doing nothing. But I can talk to them and fight them.
And sometimes they are complete ghosts, who are only good at blocking the path. :)
Doesn't seem to do anything with the fix, as I've seen that before.

I'll investigate further and THEN I'll create a new thread. :)
does it happen at specific beaches?

Last time I've seen that was on the White Bay (Nevis). But is was happening somewhere else as well (either Oyster Beach or Octopus Bay)

Last time I've seen that was on the White Bay (Nevis). But is was happening somewhere else as well (either Oyster Beach or Octopus Bay)
Does it always happen there? Or just sometimes?

Sometimes they chase after me as expected.

I'm not sure yet how this behaves. I wanted to gather more data yesterday but got distracted by that excessive reputation thing.

My current impression is that this is more likely to happen when I restore from a save made on the beach. And that this also happens during the "safe window", when there are not supposed to be any guards. It's in that later case when they are not talking and not doing much of anything else.
But I'm not standing by any of that. Not enough data yet.

Sometimes they chase after me as expected.

I'm not sure yet how this behaves. I wanted to gather more data yesterday but got distracted by that excessive reputation thing.

My current impression is that this is more likely to happen when I restore from a save made on the beach. And that this also happens during the "safe window", when there are not supposed to be any guards. It's in that later case when they are not talking and not doing much of anything else.
But I'm not standing by any of that. Not enough data yet.
Hmm...that could be yes... Because the creating character after loading was laggy in the past I make the guards during the loading and only move them to the right spot when needed. This probably isn't needed anymore now.. and after loading a game they aren't generated nicely probably.

Ok, played a bit more. It seems when I restore from a save, there is always a couple of guards standing at the point where they are supposed to emerge, safe time or not safe. Those do nothing.
When/if I get caught, another pair appears and chases after me. In this game they are good at chasing, although in one of previous games these guys tended to stuck in the sea. Maybe because here their starting point is on land.

Without saving and reloading, no bugs so far.

@jsv I removed the pre-creation of them and they do still spawn right for me. So could you check it? I at least can't replicate the Problem you decribed before now but maybe I did something wrong so could you double check?

Reactions: jsv
I don't have many pre-smuggling saves left, but as far as I can tell, this one is fixed.

FIxed for now (and hopefully forever then :))

@Levis: I'm testing this savegame from @Hylie Pistof and the soldiers seem to proceed to attack the smugglers rather than my own party.

When everybody is dead, the flashing "danger" sign doesn't stop either.
Are there still random hostile soldiers loaded elsewhere in the location???

EDIT: Sorry, I missed the part where apparently I fooled the soldiers in letting me be.
That's what I get for rushing through the dialog. :facepalm

So no problem here?

So no problem here?
A little bit still if the soldiers decide to leave you alone and attack the smugglers.
You probably need to fight the smugglers then yourself as well and if you do, it is EXTREMELY easy to accidentally hit one of the soldiers.
If you do, they turn hostile as well and even once you kill them, the flashing "danger" sign doesn't stop.

This is easily tested by taking Hylie's save and pressing Space throughout the soldier interruption dialog.
Note the extra SEA_AI walk files you need from here to be able to load his save:
Dropbox - PROGRAM.7z

Similar if you are on the side of the smugglers and accidentally hit one of them.
You've got to be CAREFUL! :shock

I honestly don't know if I can fix that one easily ...

I honestly don't know if I can fix that one easily ...
Quick look through the code suggests that the only "zero damage" occurs between characters in the same LAi group.
Maybe something for future consideration then....

Quick look through the code suggests that the only "zero damage" occurs between characters in the same LAi group.
Maybe something for future consideration then....
hmmm.....we could add the coastguard to your group or the smugglers to your group depending on the situation ...
Or we should fix the group relations all together XD.

My lazy side pick the first option. My programming side says pick the second one.
But if we do that it will be after the public release...

hmmm.....we could add the coastguard to your group or the smugglers to your group depending on the situation ...
Or we should fix the group relations all together XD.
First option could be a quick fix that should suffice for now.

Fixing the AI group relations altogether is on the To-Do list for later. :onya

Back