• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Problems with installing latest WIP version

Black Bart

Corsair
Storm Modder
Long time at sea for me matey's, but i stumbled back here and am in the process of trying to get this new testing thing set up :)

I've tried twice so far and as soon as i run the b14_beta4_installer.exe, it sort of doesn't do much for about 30 seconds (as in the blue progress bar does not move), then throws this error message:

'Main Files archive outdated, incomplete or corrupt. Please re-download!'

So that is refering to the b14_beta4_full.cab file right?

Other info that might help, i'm still running this on my old XP Pro rig (that also runs the last build of PotC NH (Build 14 Beta 1 patch 7) that i was running), and have the original install for that in F:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Pirates of the Caribbean.

I made a new clean install of PotC in I:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Pirates of the Caribbean for testing this latest Build 14 and both required b14_beta4_installer.exe and associated 2.5GB .cab file are in that main directory.

So is this simply a case of a corrupt download? I ask just in case any other obvious answer might be the issue before i download that 2.5GB file again! ;)

And glad this is all still going, and looking forward to testing.

Ahoy there, @Black Bart! Good to see ya in these waters again. :cheers

That error message means that the "b14_beta4_full.cab" fails the internal CRC check.
So that should mean it is "outdated, incomplete or corrupt" for whatever reason.
A re-download should hopefully solve that.

the last build of PotC NH (Build 14 Beta 1 patch 7) that i was running
You're in for quite a surprise; there is a LOT that has improved since then! :dance

Thanks for the kind welcome matey's, and i'm a few mins away from re-downloading that .cab file.

I did extract the first one (via 7zip) and it did indeed report about 20-30 corrupted files, so hopefully this second download will fair better, and if not do we have any other links to it (like on the ModB site etc)? If i have problems a second time i will note which files report a problem and maybe i can get seperate replacements for those (if it is not too many) rather than try the whole download again?

Just shooting some thoughts out there and am champing at the bit to see where you guys have got to in this Build :D

Edit: And just one thing, that last download was 2.5GB, this second one is saying 2.7GB - so that might also have been part of the problem ;)

Last edited:
I did extract the first one (via 7zip) and it did indeed report about 20-30 corrupted files
Thanks; that does confirm it indeed was corrupt for some reason.
Careful with manually extracting it though; you're specifically meant to NOT do that (that is why I changed the extension to not be an obvious 7-Zip archive).

if not do we have any other links to it (like on the ModB site etc)?
At the moment, no we don't. I do intend to completely redo it next week though.
And then hopefully we can make a public release of Beta 4 very shortly after and post it all over the Internet.

If i have problems a second time i will note which files report a problem and maybe i can get seperate replacements for those (if it is not too many) rather than try the whole download again?
I'm afraid not, because the "Main Archive" MUST be installed by the EXE.
It isn't simply "extracting the archive", but does a lot more than that (renaming/copying all sorts of stock game files).

If the worst comes to the worst, you could make use of this option though:
Compatibility: Works on top of the last Beta 3.5 WIP version
That one relies of the Beta 3 archive, which DOES have plenty mirrors.

am champing at the bit to see where you guys have got to in this Build :D
Since you're several years behind, you may want to have a look at the various release articles here:
Articles - Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons mod for Pirates of the Caribbean

Or watch the two trailers here:
Discussion - Cinematic Trailers | PiratesAhoy!

Plus some Wiki pages by @Talisman detailing the more recent updates:
New Horizons Playing Styles | PiratesAhoy!
New Horizons International Relations | PiratesAhoy!
New Horizons Free Play | PiratesAhoy!
New Horizons Characters | PiratesAhoy!

Good to see you here :). I'm looking forward to your feedback :D

So where do we post details of our testing?

If here, i just popped in to say that as of yesterday's downloads as outlined in the first post (so the exe and cab file), i'm getting reproducible CTD's when trying to enter Speightstown for the first time (in the tutorial section with Malcolm), i can get into the game fine, go through all the intro ship based stuff, but as soon as i try to leave the ship it will CTD after a few seconds loading.

I've tried the 'stormy start' option and while i can load land sections on various islands with no problem (so navigate around the island on land), as soon as i try to enter any main town it will also CTD. Looking through the Windows error report i see a lot of this kind of remark:

'user rised Exception............C:\Projects\drive_v2\Engine\Sources\ classes_table.cpp can't find class' etc

I don't have this issue on the older Build 14 Beta 1 Patch 7 version.

Hardware/Software (in case there is a clue here):

AMD FX60 2.66 Ghz
3GB Ram
XP Pro (32bit)
Nvidia 9600GT (512MB)

@Black Bart, can you post the .log files from your main game folder?
The only reason I can think of right now is the old Intel graphics problem.

I just have the system.log file (it's been a while since i looked into the Build mod, so there might be other stuff i need to do?):

Scanning modules\
Loading modules...
Loaded 0
Reset...
Initializing CORE...
Creating atoms space: 128
done
initializing complete
Initializing DirectX 8
Techniques: 9 shaders compiled.
Techniques: 180 techniques compiled.
Techniques: compiled by 48924624 ticks.
Can't init font INTERFACE_NORMAL
can not init start font: interface_normal
BeginScene
The method call is invalid For example, a method's parameter may have an invalid value
Can't load texture resource\textures\.tx
Unable to open resource\sounds\sails_up
BeginScene
The method call is invalid For example, a method's parameter may have an invalid value
Island: vBoxCenter not equal, foam error: resource\foam\locations\Outside\Shore_4\Guadeloupe_shore_01.ini, distance = 8.624
vBoxCenter = 6.591202,0.000000,-2.619644
Island: vBoxSize not equal, foam error: resource\foam\locations\Outside\Shore_4\Guadeloupe_shore_01.ini
vBoxSize = 82.511635,0.000000,64.222244
resource\models\items\\.gm: can't open geometry file
Warning: NPCharacter -> trace node not found
Warning: NPCharacter -> trace node not found

You should have at least also a compile.log file

I just have the system.log file (it's been a while since i looked into the Build mod, so there might be other stuff i need to do?):
You didn't install to Program Files, did you? If compile.log really isn't there, then I suspect Windows Security Stupidity (WSS) from messing up the installation process.
Again! :whipa

Ok here are fresh new versions of the log files (i got both this time!) after that CTD on leaving the starting ship. If nothing obvious is in them maybe i could give the other option a try and download the older version (as mentioned in the first post) and then update to see if i avoid these game stopping CTDs?

Attachments

• compile.log
    6.9 KB · Views: 111
  • system.log
    830 bytes · Views: 103
Ok here are fresh new versions of the log files (i got both this time!) after that CTD on leaving the starting ship. If nothing obvious is in them maybe i could give the other option a try and download the older version (as mentioned in the first post) and then update to see if i avoid these game stopping CTDs?
Bugger, I can see nothing crash-worthy in those log files.
Any chance the tricks here might be of any help?
New Horizons FAQ | PiratesAhoy!

hmmm. I didn't get any errors with that second .cab file i downloaded, and i separately extracted it to see that 7zip did not report any errors, so that file seems to be fine.

I got the crashes on my initial install which was in a \Program Files\ path, but this is XP (admin account) and the older mod version never had a problem with that, but just in case i reinstalled from scratch (from my PotC CD's) in I:\Bethesda Softworks\Pirates of the Caribbean and still got the reproducible CTD issue.

I will probably try to download and install the Build 14 Beta 3.4 from Moddb, then update that to 3.5, then if all that is working try the update to this latest version you wanted help testing? Does that sound like a good plan?

These are the same log files but from my working older Build 14 Beta 1 Patch 7 version, just to see the difference in what they are reporting (in case that helps):

Attachments

• compile.log
    11.8 KB · Views: 110
  • system.log
    1.4 KB · Views: 112
I think XP Service Pack 2 can also have that evil WSS. I most definitely always recommend to install OUTSIDE Program Files.
There is just never any guarantees that inside that folder will behave itself like it should. :facepalm

Well just on a 'what's the harm to try' whim, i set the Engine.exe to run in compatibility mode for Windows 98/Me, and that load from ship to Speightstown worked! This is on an XP machine, which is just plain weird, especially as i was getting the CTD 100% of the time either inside or outside of a \Program Files\ path and especially as the older build mod version had no issues at all like this!

So i appear to be up and running (touches wood!), and will report back with whatever i can find :D

Maybe the modified ENGINE.exe wasn't 100% compatible with Windows XP anymore? Somehow?
I doubt anyone has tried such an old Windows version for a while. But it should still work, of course, since it did before.

Anyway, glad to hear you managed to get past this at last! Hopefully you can actually have some FUN now. :dance

Maybe the modified ENGINE.exe wasn't 100% compatible with Windows XP anymore? Somehow?
I doubt anyone has tried such an old Windows version for a while. But it should still work, of course, since it did before.

Anyway, glad to hear you managed to get past this at last! Hopefully you can actually have some FUN now. :dance
This could be because of the addresspace > 2g change we did a while back ....

Back