• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Promotions

Jason

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
It has been awhile since I had to deal with promotions. I get when you make Lt. you get a sword. The last time I made it to captain I got an advanced warship. This time no warship. Did that get taken out or do I have a setting screwed up. I saw some where else that if you were in the relevvant navy you could buy navy ships. Does that mean you have a letter of marque? Finally is there a table of the corresponding ships to the ranks?

Thanks as always.

The reward ships have been disabled, because apparently they caused pretty weird side-effects and bad bugs.
You can buy Navy Ships from the shipyards if you've got the required rank for it. This excerpt from InternalSettings.h might clarify it a bit better:
Code:
/* ----REALISTIC SHIP PURCHASE----
This mod disables the selling of navy ships to characters who don't have a high enough national rank

Note: Navy ships are ships that have Type.War = true and Type.Trade = false
      If you want a certain ship to not be considered a navy ship, change these settings in ships_init.c

Settings per ship class:
------------------------
-1 = No LoM required
 0 = Only a LoM required
>0 = National rank required (see nations_init.c)
Set all to -1 to disable this mod
*/
#define RANK_FOR_EIGHTH_RATE            -1        // Default: No LoM Required
#define RANK_FOR_SEVENTH_RATE            -1        // Default: No LoM Required
#define RANK_FOR_SIXTH_RATE                0        // Only a LoM required
#define RANK_FOR_FIFTH_RATE                2        // Lowest rank: 3rd Lieutenant (England)
#define RANK_FOR_FOURTH_RATE            4        // Lowest rank: 1st Lieutenant (England)
#define RANK_FOR_THIRD_RATE                6        // Lowest rank: Captain (England)
#define RANK_FOR_SECOND_RATE            8        // Lowest rank: Rear Admiral (England)
#define RANK_FOR_FIRST_RATE                10        // Lowest rank: Admiral (England)

Thanks Pieter,

I must say I have never been given an opportunity to buy a navy ship even though I have achieved these the ranks many times. In the version I am playing, 2.3 the ranks are junior LT, LT and senior LT. Might that make a difference?

Naval ships are rare in the shipyards no matter what your rank is. Mostly you only see Luggers. But every once in a great while the capital ships are seen. I just came from a Dutch shipyard where 3 different types of tier 2 ships were for sale. But not the one I lust for, the FWzP. :love

With only a Lieutenant rank all you will see are frigates, but there are some very nice frigates out there. I see the Postillionen often and sometimes the Unicorn. But I have the realistic shipyard options turned off, especially the one that penalizes you if you have a ship that is above your rank because that stops you from ever seeing anything above tier 4.

Try stopping by the shipyard several times one day apart when visiting a port. The inventory changes when you do that.

You will SEE whatever is available. Whether you can actually BUY them depends on your rank though.
Pretty much all shipyards tend to have navy ships of some kind, but of course once you've got the required rank, they won't show as such anymore.
Of course high class ships indeed are rather rare.

The rank names probably changed since I made that note in InternalSettings.h, so that may have thrown things out of whack a little bit.
Refer to PROGRAM\Nations\nations_init.c for how the new rank names correspond to the old numbers.

It's certainly not the best place to talked about this but there's still a bug with the promotion systhem. If you choose to work for the portuguese, when you earn the second portuguese sword you will not be able to save or load (the game freeze if you try). You can bypass this matter and wait the next promotion to make a savegame. I think the matter his the "title" himself, maybe too long.
It always occur in all my game and still continu with the latest update of the build mod.

True! I have learned to not take that promotion and wait until the next one before I visit the governor again.

Indeed I do recall something about the title being too long. That's easily fixed in nations_init and the RESOURCE\TEXTS\INI files. Can anyone give that a shot?

Well, i looked every where but i didn't have any "TEXTS" files in the Ressource case. I look every where and finaly
i find the nations_init file in the Program/Nation cases. I change the title for a shorter one : "Capitão-de-Mar" and try to see if it correct the matter in game. I used an old save game for this and it didn't change anyything, when you gain the Ranks.7 of the portuguese promotion the game still freeze if you try to save or load.

I didn't try with a new game for now.

ps : damned my english is awfull, sorry, i didn't practice during a long time :p

You need to edit:
PROGRAM\NATIONS\nations_init.c
RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\common.ini
New game required.

Ok. thanks Peter.
I've changed the nations_init.c and the common.ini files. I'll try to test this in a new game as soon as possible and if it's solution to resolve this little bug i'll upload the files there.

ps : of course i'll try to find a better "title" for the promotion n°7 of the portuguese. I put "capitao de mar" just for the test but i will try to find something better and historicaly accurate ;)

http://www.marinha.pt/pt/amarinha/vidanaval/pages/postos.aspx/
http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarquia_naval_(Portugal)
http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarquia_militar_(Portugal)

Back