• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Proposed storyline the future

I was wondering if you have had any luck with this storyline at all so far? It sounds promising. I actually had some ideas for a couple of characters to make cameos.

Horatio Hornblower

Jack Aubrey

Pierre Laffite

Andrew Jackson

Charles Gibbs (He could some how be related to Joshamee Gibbs. Either his grandson or nephew)

Benito de Soto

Davy Crockett (and his partner George Russel from the old Disney film)

Just an idea, but it would be cool if some of these characters could make cameos.

I haven't abandoned it. I just placed it on the back burner while I finish up my SFX project.
keith.gif

Horatio and Jack already have their own stories.

I will include Pierre along with Laffite.

Andrew Jackson doesn't really work out for this since there's no New Orleans location. But neat idea.

Charles Gibbs, nah. I don't wanna tie into the movies. I wanted this to be a historical mission.

Who was Benito De Soto?

I don't think Davy Crockett was ever in the Caribbean.

Nice ideas. If you have any more, let me know. I'm also looking for someone to help me script this thing as I think that will be a daunting task alone. haha
dunno.gif

You can "fake" a New Orleans locations. Might be cool to have a location model retextured to New Orleans white.
But that's more work, so you don't have to do that. Just thinking out loud. :razz

Benito de Soto was a famous pirate from the early 1800's. He sailed on a pirate Brig called the Black Joke until he was captured and hanged in the 1830's (he was a Privateer during the war of 1812). He could be one of the villains in the storyline. And, what I meant about the Gibbs idea, was just to use the Mr. Gibbs model for fun. How much coding has this storyline had so far?

How much coding has this storyline had so far?

None whatsoever.
24.gif
I doubt it'll be given a serious look by the team till I script the bloody thing.
type_1.gif
The modelers should be happy with me for this storyline as I've made it that only a little tweak of the sterns of the Congress and the United States is needed. All the other ships I need already exist.
keith.gif

Benito de Soto was a famous pirate from the early 1800's. He sailed on a pirate Brig called the Black Joke until he was captured and hanged in the 1830's (he was a Privateer during the war of 1812).

I read he was estimated to be born in 1805 which would only make him 7 years old for this storyline which takes place during 1812. He sounds like a good candidate, but to be historically accurate, he wouldn't really work. And i'm already pushing the limits of historical accuracy as it is. haha
urgh.gif
Wow. He seems to be one of the last pirates of the caribbean since piracy in that region was snuffed out about the same year he died.

They won't really be villains, but I do have the Leffite brothers in the story. Roberto Corfresi was a nice blood thirsty pirate, so I think him in combination with the British will keep the player's hands full.

You can "fake" a New Orleans locations. Might be cool to have a location model retextured to New Orleans white.
But that's more work, so you don't have to do that. Just thinking out loud. :razz

It would awesome to have a New Orleans location, since that was a pretty key area during that whole time, but I dunno who'd be willing to put the work into it other than myself. haha
user_comment.gif

I'd really like to see this story come to light, so I need to finish my current SFX project and get to scripting.
poet.gif
I really wanna get a US story in here, and I MUST see that Constitution vs. Victory battle. haha
duel_pa.gif

[attachment=6728:moddingNGINE 2011-07-04 09-41-58-54.jpg]Happy Independence Day to my American friends! I'll have this storyline finished someday.
keith.gif

I would say it was a nice screenshot, but given the situation it depicts, my country forbids me. :razz
Of course I'm just kidding; nice screenie as always!

I'm still looking forward to your storyline, as well. Whenever you're ready to start work on it, let me know, as I'm keen to help. :cheeky

I would say it was a nice screenshot, but given the situation it depicts, my country forbids me. :razz

24.gif

I was playing with "Old Ironsides" all morning trying to get a good pic for the Independence Day.
me.gif

I kinda cheat though in taking my screenshots . . . . haha I set Fraps to take a shot once every second so I don't miss a bit of action. That's how I got the Dutchman shot. True, I usally have a few GB of pics after I'm done, but it works.
smile2.gif

I'm still looking forward to your storyline, as well. Whenever you're ready to start work on it, let me know, as I'm keen to help. :cheeky

Me too! I'm glad you wanna help with that. I certainly can't pull this project off alone.
keith.gif

I'm nearing completion with the music project.
me.gif
I've soooooooo been slacking off lately. haha

This looks like it could be a solid storyline, us Americans could do with one! If you are still looking for other characters to include you could include the US Captian Josiah Peabody from CS Foresters book Captain from Connecticut. his ship the USS Delaware, which though fictional, was very similar to the USS Congress, and maybe using him instead of capt. john smith could add more flavor to the quest. The vast majority of the storyline takes place in the Carribean in the war of 1812, and peabody essentially raises hell with the british, raiding british islands, destroying british shipping, fighting the royal navy etc. There are a few parts that could be worked into a quest I think, like working with privateers to attack a british convoy( privateers=jean laffite &co?). there is also a part where the USS Delaware defeats and hangs a pirate too. Unfortunately the book is fiction, and there is no final fight with a british frigate or anything, but there could be some good material in it with ready-made characters to make it easier to form the storyline. I just read a few weeks ago, so if it sounds interesting to you I can give you more details :onya
heres a wiki of it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Captain_from_Connecticut it leaves out some parts, but you get the general Idea. I dunno about includinge the main storyline of the book, but i think alot of the side-stories could be useful.

Indeed. It could be a fun side quest!
me.gif

I'd better get this story done. All my American friends are looking forward to finally having a part in a pirate game! Too long has the US been neglected in pirate games. No longer.
trio-pirates.gif

Well, we already did ADD the US in our mod; that has to count for something... :shrug

Aye, it does indeed and i'm grateful for it. But I'd love to have a US story in there.
keith.gif

Seconded. It would be nice to have a storyline from their point of view.
Besides, I might even be able to help out with this one... :cheers

So what happens after I script it? I've been dragging my feet on getting it done because I gotta think up alllllll that dialogue.
modding.gif
haha

Nobody ever said you had to script the whole thing by yourself, you know!
You could always PM me if you need help or ideas or checking or... whatever. You get the idea. :drunk

Anyway, I think there are threads around which contain details about starting to code new storylines, particularly in Peter Blood's quest thread.
Once that starts, it's just trial and error all the way, I guess. Learning through doing, all that sort of stuff.

Back