• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

QA tester

noniac

Powder Monkey
QA Tester
Provisional
Well, I follow this forums time to time and when i saw HoO was looking for testers i couldnt fit in myself

my computer is an i7-2600k 3.40ghz 8gb ram and a gtx 560. Believe me i think it can run the game pretty good.

so, if let me try it i will play and post the bugs... I play a lot so I will find a lot. I'm recently playing wind of luck, a very awfull game based on a very VERY unique and good idea. It has a tremendous exploit, when you enter in the circle to capture the base, enemy bots( yes there is only bots because no one plays that game) wont shoot you and you can sink all of them getting tremendous rewards. SHSSS dont tell anyone, the santisima trinidad costs 5million!!!

hope i get to try it

Ahoy noniac, yup, your rig should handle the game without any problems. When you get a chance, could you please write up a quick review of the latest Hearts of Oak demo, and any problems that you encounter on your system and post it here, thanks!

is it up now, i can try it now or am i missunderstanding?

EDIT: no worries, i found the demo on indie DB, downloading now

ok so i have just tried the demo and, well what to say, it very buggy and wanky but, i know its not even an alpha so i can understand. About the ship control and firing, it reminds me about naval action, a game i will buy for sure
As i said its still wanky and the gameplay its not very accurate, i mean the aming, camera positions, etc but i know its a demo and further tweaks are needed, a lot

i noticed the game hangs up for 10 seconds at start just when the menu appears, performance great and, just unity...

I think nothing i'm saying here matters, what i have tried is not something you are building on to a final stage, am i wrong?

Im really hoping to try the real game!!!

That is correct, this is just a very early pre-alpha demo, which is meant to test early versions of many things like the AI, quest scripting, ship buoyancy, collision and physics scripts. Did you play through the complete tutorial? Could you please be a bit more specific about what you mean by buggy and wanky?

I mean you dont really get any kind of crucible or trayectory to where the cannonballs are going to impact
The cammera seems too close at least for me to the board so alinging the board to the other board is very difficult plus there is a <TAB> view of the interior of the captain quarters(i guess) i dont really know what is for
The sensitivity of the camera needs to be tweaked, i mean i can do that myself in the menu, but...guys please
Not to talk about the insanely fast deployment of the ships sails, those are sailors from space!!! This causes the ship to slightly bounce back and forward, you must have noticed it...
I do not understand the sails setup, i mean when hitting the W, i think you should deploy the sails from the bottom to the top(I dont know if im wrong!!) but instead it does a weird thing, i noticed it but i cannot remember the exact thing
I dindt notice wheter my shots where hitting the enemy or not
Not to talk about the interface, its just a pre-alpha interface
The camera movement was very rough, i mean you cant put a hard stop to a camera movement, you have to slowly come to a stop specially in a sailing ships game

I hope i dont sound too arcady but this is a game and i think arcady doesnt mean it cannot be historicaly accurate. The accuracy and beauty comes with the details like opening gun ports, pushing and explosion-backwards cannons(i saw you already implemented that GOOD!!) historical ship names, historical ammunition names, historical cannon caliber and names, crew on board that dies with cannon shots, realistic sinking with floating wooden remains, falling masts that obey ships physics...
and a ton more little details you do not really keep an eye on when playing but that distinguis your game from a mediocre one.

Just dont fill the game with various real money currencies like potbs to get the good ships, dont know if you have played it but you need burning sea points to buy keys to open chests that cointain pieces of A8, and even before that you need like 100 of those for a shipwrit or 20 for cannons...etc thats a HUGE PAYWALL, wait, wait, normal enemys do have a 0.0001% chance of giving you a key. I hate that. in my grind to lvl 50(thats another thing) i only got 1 key and even the chests were rare omg i want that time back...well dont do this ^^

This is a pre alpha proof of concept demo, not a fully functional game. Every time a new version comes along you will see improvements. There have already been major improvements over earlier versions and as the improvements accumulate this will turn into a very good game.

Your comments on this version are appreciated. Keep them coming.

Thanks for the feedback mate, much appreciated. We are aiming to be as historically accurate as possible, but that accuracy is going to take time and as was pointed out by Hylie, what is nowhere close to the finished product. We have barely even started, even though we have been in active development for a couple of years.

The Tab key in the tutorial will take you to many different stations on the ship, this is basically a quick travel system for now until we get the physics working properly. Once that happens, you will be able to walk about normally, and so will the AI crew once they are implemented. The deck veiw is one cannon station, there will be many different stations in the final version. While it is a bit tough to judge trajectory, after a few shots, you can get a pretty good estimate how your shots change by raising and lowering the cannon. There are a lot of things that need to be tweaked, and that is part of what you are offering to do by being a QA tester by providing feedback to the programmers.

For now, I have added you as a provision member of the QA tester team, you should now be able to see certain sections of the development forum. The next demo should be out in a couple of weeks, baring any unforeseen circumstance. Your next review should be placed in the release thread. Welcome aboard mate!

**EDIT**

And just to clarify, we are not looking at monetizing anything, Hearts of Oak will be free to play, not free to pay!

Last edited:
Hi @noniac, welcome! Could you please add your PC specs to your signature for easy reference?

Back