• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Not a Bug Quest clashes

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
It seems Build 14 is more vulnerable to quests messing each other up than were earlier versions. I'd been at San Juan, found the lady in the church and also found Virgilia Mendez. From there I went to Nevis, talked to Armand Delacroix, went to Martinique, where Mendez didn't show up in the store. Reloaded to San Juan, this time bypassed Nevis and went straight to Martinique, met Mendez, proceeded to Barbados and met the Montanez, returned to San Juan, where Mendez didn't show up in the store. Reloaded to San Juan, bypassed Nevis and went straight to Martinique, met Mendez, went straight back to San Juan, met Mendez and finally got rid of him, then was able to continue with other business.

This was never a problem in all the times I played Build 13. To be honest, I can't guarantee that I ever had Virgilia Mendez and either Armand Delacroix or the Montanez active at the same time, but I've been through the whole thing many times so I'd be surprised if they weren't active at the same time at least once.

Mendez has always been buggy. You were asking for trouble there and got it.

Yes some of the quests can interfere with each other. It is possible for the main quest and the animist quest to cross over if they are both at a certain place in their storylines.

Thinking about it a bit more, I must have had this combination of quests in Build 13 because it's part of my strategy early in the game. On the first visit to Falaise de Fleur to get the ammo ship, I try to do as much as possible - help Patric Cardonne, start the Blaque Family quest, sort out Arnaud Matton and the banker and then get Sabine Matton, and spring Fred Bob. On the first visit to Isla Muelle I deliver Sabine Matton, visit the lady in the church, start the "Find Admiral's Son" quest, and meet Virgila Mendez. Quebradas Costillas is on the way from Isla Muelle to Falaise de Fleur so I must have dropped in there, then proceeded to Falaise de Fleur - and if not, I'll have been there on the way back so as to finish off helping the lady as well as get rid of Virgilia Mendez next time I'm in Isla Muelle.

It would appear that it's not mixing quests, but playing Build 14, which is asking for trouble...

The one quest mix-up which I do remember in Build 13 was when I hadn't got my reputation high enough early enough to do "Saving Toff's Daughter" during an early visit to Douwesen, and by the time I did get to do it, the "Strange Happenings" quest was well under way. So when I went to the port, instead of getting the message about going to the pirate's ship, instead I got the message normally appearing in the Animist cave about "Time to free Padre Dominguez". I'm not sure if the quest had actually got as far as the Padre being kidnapped. Since then I'm in the habit of not even talking to the women outside the Douwesen / Bonaire town hall until I've rescued Toff's daughter, which in Build 14 is very much worth doing as early as possible because Nicholas Sharp's sword seems to be one of the best in the whole game and is available very early.

You are the expert on build 13. I didn't play it much as it was very buggy for me and crashed constantly. Of course build 14 beta 1 was at least as bad but it slowly got better over time.

Anyway, I really only know build 14 and it is very possible to get the dialogs crossed up.

Why play so many side quests at one time? I like to spread them out so that late in the game there are some other things to do. My personal record is playing for 27 game years, and it can get boring with no side quests to do.

Why play so many side quests at one time? I like to spread them out so that late in the game there are some other things to do.
Partly because that's how I've always played, ever since the days when I played stock PotC (in which you have to do the quests in parallel because when the main quest ends, so does the game).

Partly because by the time I've finished the main quest, my skills and perks are all maxed out and so are those of most of my officers. The skill system in Build 14 slows down the build-up, nevertheless almost all my skills are now at 10 (admittedly about half of them due to bonuses, but even those are pretty high) and I'm at the point where I've just taken the Padre's papers off Ferrero Cerveza. It's not doing the extra quests which did that, it's all the ship raiding and fort looting which I've also been doing on the way to quest objectives.

And partly because of all the bugs and crashes. I want to like Build 14, I really do. It's obvious a lot of work has gone into it and when it works, it's awesome, containing all the best bits of earlier versions of PotC, AoP, probably some other sources, and a good dose of originality. The problem is when it doesn't work. Even in early games, I'm more likely to be "killed" by a game crash than by an enemy's sword. And even if I do complete the battle, there's the risk that I then run into a bug which means I need to reload an earlier saved game. The Assassin and Animist quests are now completed, and when I finish the main quest it will be time to relax and play something completely different before trying my luck with Build 14 again and starting one of the other storylines. Or possibly just dump Build 14 and go back to Build 13, which isn't as pretty and doesn't have as many fun things to do, but which does actually work and isn't as much stress except where it's meant to be stress!

Well, let's just hope then that the reign of the old & infamous "Glitch and Crash/CTD" problem will soon come to an end. :pirate07::pflag

I don't know where all of your crashes are coming from. I get maybe one random crash a day, as often as not when just walking around town.

How many crashes a day do you get, and how long do you play during one session?

Both highly variable. I know about the memory leak which makes the game liable to crash after about an hour. Sometimes it takes rather less than that. Sometimes I forget about it and the game keeps going for ages. One time the program got corrupted to the point where it would crash immediately after loading a saved game, and it wasn't the saved game's fault partly because I tried saved games which had worked earlier and partly because even the most recent saved game at that time worked after I deleted and re-installed the game. At first I thought it was because I had installed straight over Build 13; the instructions say to install Build 14 over a stock PotC installation. However I've read on the forum that it should be alright to install Build 14 on top of Build 13, and anyway it wasn't long before the re-installed game started crashing as well.

Crashes are almost always during boarding. Sometimes it's while I loot a corpse or open a treasure chest, sometimes it's just while walking around the deck or during a fight. As I said, during boarding actions crashes are more of a threat than the enemy.

I tried doing a defrag on the hard drive. It's not very full. Windows took one look at it, said it wasn't fragmented, and couldn't be bothered to do a defrag! Also, having read advice on this forum, PoTC is installed into C:\Games, so was Build 13 and so are all my other games. I've been doing that for a long time!

The boarding deck crashes used to be very common, and I used to not loot corpses or chests because of it. But that has been repaired for a while and I have no problems anymore. So your problem is puzzling.

About defragging, I defrag every 2-3 days as it needs it that often. The windoze defragger is designed for office use and is not very good. I use IOBit Advanced System care 7 and their Smart Defrag 3 to keep this system running smooth. Others have tried it and like it, and it is free.

A player really needs a good system specification for this game to work at its best.
A non-intel graphics card(maybe an NVidia one) with at least 2GB of memory or more, at least 4GB of RAM or more,
an appropriate amount of free space and a good processor, maybe an i5 or i7 for laptops. :facepalm:modding - with its many problems

And of course, the regular maintenance for your system is always a must even w/o the game or games.

The boarding deck crashes used to be very common, and I used to not loot corpses or chests because of it. But that has been repaired for a while and I have no problems anymore. So your problem is puzzling.
Was the problem fixed in Beta 3 or earlier, or was it only fixed in Beta 3.1? I'm still running Beta 3, at least until the main quest is completed.
About defragging, I defrag every 2-3 days as it needs it that often. The windoze defragger is designed for office use and is not very good. I use IOBit Advanced System care 7 and their Smart Defrag 3 to keep this system running smooth. Others have tried it and like it, and it is free.
Thanks for that. I installed Smart Defrag 3. The first thing it tried to do was install lots of junk, starting with a browser toolbar and redirection of the home page. It does this automatically if you choose "Express installation" and by default if you choose "Custom". Hopefully I knocked out all the optional junk and it didn't sneak any other junk in without asking. So then I ran it and it did find a few fragments to clear up, though as I said the disk is large and not very full.

Then I ran PotC and somewhat less than an hour later it crashed during boarding. Only once, though - I reloaded the saved game from the worldmap just before entering battle and this time the boarding went fine. But then, exactly the same happened during the previous session before I'd installed Smart Defrag 3 - one crash, reload, fine after that.

A player really needs a good system specification for this game to work at its best.
A non-intel graphics card(maybe an NVidia one) with at least 2GB of memory or more, at least 4GB of RAM or more,
an appropriate amount of free space and a good processor, maybe an i5 or i7 for laptops. :facepalm:modding - with its many problems
Can it work with an nVidia GT 520 (1GB RAM)? Apart from that, my PC can match or exceed those specs. Plenty of unused disc space, 3GHz i7 CPU, 8GB RAM.

I don't remember when the boarding bug got fixed. Last summer or fall? :shrug I do believe it shouldn't crash with beta3.

I forgot to mention the stuff they want to add on. It should be able to remove it from control panel--->programs and features, and in the browser options.

A new video card would certainly help as what you have is the bottom of that line, although with POTC it is possible to go too far. I had been using an AMD 6970 with good results, then got an AMD R9 280X. POTC does not stress it enough to kick it into full power mode unless I set the graphic settings in its control panel to ridiculously high. The result is overall LESS fps than before. :facepalm POTC is DX8 and that has a lot to do with it too.

Overall you should have no problems with ctds with your hardware. Others are doing fine with less.

Can it work with an nVidia GT 520 (1GB RAM)? Apart from that, my PC can match or exceed those specs. Plenty of unused disc space, 3GHz i7 CPU, 8GB RAM.
Wow, actually, a lot better than mine, a lot. I even have an intel graphics card. I only used the intel fix to get the game going.
Now I wonder why you experience crashes more often than mine. Maybe, you really could use some system maintenance more often than you're used to.
Me, I use the same apps as suggested by Sire, Hylie Pistof. I use Advanced SystemCare everyday and Smart Defrag 2 or 3 times a week.
Plus of course an an anti-malware protection. I'm using Emsisoft Anti-Malware and running it once or twice a week.

Smart Defrag certainly didn't help, the game crashed right after I'd used it and the disc was about as defragmented as it's ever going to be. Besides, it's not the machine which is the problem because it plays plenty of other games without trouble. (Including PotC Build 13.) When one program routinely crashes and everything else on the same PC works, I tend to figure that it's not the PC which is the problem. ;)

Of course Build 14 is more complex than Build 13 ever was and it most definitely hasn't been written perfectly whatsoever.
It could be some sort of unfortunate combination between less-then-perfect coding with some sort of secondary software/hardware issues.

Back