• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Question about sail-to.

Luciferret

Landlubber
Ok, ive bee trying to get sail-to work but in vain. I have been trying different combinations with realism settings in-game and editing the config file but no desired result. Is it even possible? I have enabled the option tha i have to discover places before it should be possible, but this doesnt seem to affect anything.

What version are you playing?

If you're playing in Realistic Mode, then yes, you must discover the areas for yourself first before you can use Sail-To. No need to change anything. Try putting everything back to default and try again, see if the problem still exist. Also if it does, report back and attach your .log files (compile/system/error) which can be found in your main game's folder.

P.S. You might wanna check this: Build Mod Bug Tracker
and read this before posting there: Bug Tracker: Forum Rules

EDIT: And I say you're new to this forum? Then I suggest reading the FAQ first before posting new threads or comments if you have not read it yet. (See my Signature).

Last edited:
Luckily I made copy of the file before editing. Is there anything else than realism settings(arcade, realistic, iron man) under options which affects this?

Good. It's always a smart thing to make backups if you intend to edit files. I don't clearly get you but I can tell you about Arcade Mode, here, Sail-To menu is enabled by default. I don't really play much in Realistic especially in Iron Man mode so I can't tell you much about it. But as I mentioned earlier about Realistic Mode, that's how it is concerning the Sail-To menu/option as far as I know. :p

Cheers,

in realistic mode, you need to discover a location manually before being able to sail to it. Means, you need to manually sail there. Once you have #done this, you can use sail-to anytime.
In iron man mode, this is disabled too. You'll have to manually sail any yard you want to go somewhere. There is no sail-to there.

In Arcade mode I can't say, for I never play this. But I thinksail-to is available there without manually unlocking a location.

It's also possible to use \Program\internalsettings.h

Look for this part - it's near the top of the file:
Code:
// ======================================
// REALISM OPTIONS:
// Included in Realistic Game Mode:
#define REALISTIC_SHIP_INERTIA                1        // BOOL - 1=ON - Ships require counter-rudder and don't sail as if on rails
#define SHORE_DANGER_ALARM                1        // BOOL - 1=ON - Red flashing icon and danger music do not start until enemies draw their blade
#define DISCOVER_SAIL_TO                1        // BOOL - 0=OFF - Shores and ports must be discovered by sailing there manually before you can use Sail To
#define DISCOVER_FAST_TRAVEL                1        // BOOL - 0=OFF - Town locations must be discovered by finding them manually before you can use Fast Travel
#define NAVIGATION_EQUIPMENT                1        // BOOL - 1=ON - Items required for certain navigational information to become available
#define ENABLE_LIMITED_SHIPCLASS            1        // BOOL - 1=ON - When player takes command of ship of too high tier, Leadership and Sailing skills drops
#define CANNOT_RELOAD_WHILE_FIGHTING            1        // BOOL - 1=ON - Your gun won't reload while your sword is drawn
#define SAIL_OPERATE_DELAY                3        // INT - sailors will operate sails this amount of seconds after receiving command (set to 0 to restore stock PotC)
// Included in Iron Man Mode:
#define OPEN_SEA_MOD                    1        // BOOL - 1=ON - Worldmap enlarged for realistic DirectSail
#define WORLDMAP_DISABLED                0        // BOOL - 1=ON - DirectSail enforced
#define SAILTO_DISABLED                    1        // BOOL - 1=ON - Cannot Sail-To any ships at sea
#define ONSEA_DATA_DISABLED                1        // BOOL - 1=ON - Spyglass and compass additional information disabled, cannot move camera to non-player ships
#define REALISTIC_ABILITIES                1        // BOOL - 1=ON - Rush, Immediate Reload and Instant Boarding disabled
#define ITEM_REALISM                    1        // BOOL - 1=ON - Items like rubies, diamonds and inca statuettes give no skill bonuses (books and items like compass etc. still do)

Just set 0 or 1 as you prefer it.

Week ago when i dloaded Build mod and started playing, i started my game in Iron Man mode. Then edited internalsettings.h for my likings which included sail-to and few other things. But apparently something went wrong because it did not activate the option in-game. In towns everything went fine, but at sea it did not. I solved the problem by putting on realistic mode and deleted the modified internalsettings.h and restored original backup.

Now i face different problem. For some reason, i DONT need to discover locations, i just select them from the list and let the autopilot do the job. Weird. Heres the edited internalsettings.h. :

Code:
// REALISM OPTIONS:
// Included in Realistic Game Mode:
#define REALISTIC_SHIP_INERTIA            1        // BOOL - 1=ON - Ships require counter-rudder and don't sail as if on rails
#define SHORE_DANGER_ALARM                0        // BOOL - 1=ON - Red flashing icon and danger music do not start until enemies draw their blade
#define DISCOVER_SAIL_TO                1        // BOOL - 0=OFF - Shores and ports must be discovered by sailing there manually before you can use Sail To
#define DISCOVER_FAST_TRAVEL            1        // BOOL - 0=OFF - Town locations must be discovered by finding them manually before you can use Fast Travel
#define NAVIGATION_EQUIPMENT            1        // BOOL - 1=ON - Items required for certain navigational information to become available
#define ENABLE_LIMITED_SHIPCLASS        1        // BOOL - 1=ON - When player takes command of ship of too high tier, Leadership and Sailing skills drops
#define CANNOT_RELOAD_WHILE_FIGHTING    1        // BOOL - 1=ON - Your gun won't reload while your sword is drawn
#define SAIL_OPERATE_DELAY                3        // INT - sailors will operate sails this amount of seconds after receiving command (set to 0 to restore stock PotC)
// Included in Iron Man Mode:
#define OPEN_SEA_MOD                    1        // BOOL - 1=ON - Worldmap enlarged for realistic DirectSail
#define WORLDMAP_DISABLED                0        // BOOL - 1=ON - DirectSail enforced
#define SAILTO_DISABLED                    0        // BOOL - 1=ON - Cannot Sail-To any ships at sea
#define ONSEA_DATA_DISABLED                1        // BOOL - 1=ON - Spyglass and compass additional information disabled, cannot move camera to non-player ships
#define REALISTIC_ABILITIES                1        // BOOL - 1=ON - Rush, Immediate Reload and Instant Boarding disabled
#define ITEM_REALISM                    1        // BOOL - 1=ON - Items like rubies, diamonds and inca statuettes give no skill bonuses (books and items like compass etc. still do)

Here is your problem. Both of those items are turned on and you want to turn them off.

sail to.jpg

DISCOVER_SAIL_TO and DISCOVER_FAST_TRAVEL are inverted compared to the other settings due to popular demand.

Ok, everything fixed now. But i have a new question.

Is wind allways blowing from north, west or something between them? I find it quite hard to sail in those directions when in directsail mode. And when trying to pursuit someone.. Its not a big deal with ships which have sails designed for that, but my brig for example, im going backwards. I know i should go zig-zag(theres a RL term for it, dont know what is it in english) but it just doesnt help. Im getting further away from the target, or running my ship to the shore eventually.

The term for the zig zag is Tacking and yes you have to do a LOT of tacking back and forth to get anywhere at all. Because the wind most often comes from the direction you want to go you will sometimes find yourself sailing away from where you want to go in order to eventually turn and take off in the direction you DO want to go.

It sounds crazy but that is the way it is.

Oh yes, i understand the logic behind the sailing. But it just frustrates me that when you want to get somewhere in the game, wind is allways blowing against, which in reality, sounds a bit silly.

Back