• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Question about the weapons locker.

Kai

Landlubber
Hey all, first off I just want to say this mod is amazing, the amount of work gone into this is evident. I have a question about the weapons locker, if for example I have a ship with lot's of crew members, do I need that many weapons? Or is there a set number? thanks :)

Supposedly it is best to have as many weapons as you have crew. In practice you only need a dozen or so to be the very best quality.

Thanks Hylie, and DavyJack I'm assuming that 12 swords and 12 guns will be enough if you have disabled the weapon degrade. Otherwise the weapons you put in for the crew will eventually break.

Otherwise the weapons you put in for the crew will eventually break.

Even with weapon degrade on it will be quite a while until your weapons break. Replacing worn down weaponry will not cost much (if anythying), since you will pick up fairly good weaponry left and right as the game proceeds. Just put in some decent blades in fine quality and you will be .... well ... fine for a while.

As for the number of weapons: You just need as many weapons in the locker as boarders join you at most in battle. So something in the ball park of 12 to 15 will be easily enough. I advise you to pack in more than that, though. Because all the boarders that bite the dust on any deck will mean one blade less available on the following decks. And if you have nothing in your locker anymore, your boarders (those, who are not supplied anymore) will fight with feeble cutlasses. And these definitely suck. Especially if you are mid to high leveled (because then your opponents are, too).

I just said a dozen because I don't remember how many crewmen are involved in the largest boarding battles.

Yes it is a good idea to have many more weapons in the weapons locker than are really needed. I have more weapons in my locker than crew, and they are all excellent grade. I also check it regularly and repair any that fall to only fine.

All excellent grade? I bet the local blacksmith smiles like a baby, when you step through the door every now and then.^^

"I need these 327 rapiers to be top notch quality each .... what do I owe you?"

I don't repair everything I collect, only the very best ones like the Solingen rapier, the Portuguese officers sword, the Polish Szabla, the Knights Templar sword, etc. The Bosuns choice isn't good enough to bother with.

Supposedly it is best to have as many weapons as you have crew. In practice you only need a dozen or so to be the very best quality.
Are you saying one should have as many weapons as boarding crew (i.e. average number of NPCs fighting alongside you), or the entire crew (numbering in the hundreds for most ships)?
I'm assuming it's the former, otherwise it would be totally crazy to require the player to collect hundreds of swords for their crew. o_O

I have more weapons than the entire crew. I don't know if this makes a difference in POTC but it does make a difference in COAS.

Just to confirm: You only need enough crew for the guys in one boarding deck. 20 blades should be plenty.

Back