• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help question about tonnage in ships holds

Ben Coats

Freebooter
:shrug
my GF and i are discussing the ships hold and captured treasure like silver, gold, ivory, timbers, are they measured in tons or lbs?
start 2013-05-22 16-52-27-99.jpg

From Polish Wikipedia:
"1 tona angielska = 2240 funtów brytyjskich = 1016,05 kg"
So: 1 (English) ton = 2240 lbs = 1016,05 kg

So in my opinion, it must be in tonnes. In my country 1 ton = 1000 kg, not 1016,05 kg. :confused: The math. :(

The word ton derives from the old word for wine barrel "tun" which weighed 2240lbs. That is why it does not add up.

I'm asking two questions here:
1. The merchantman in the screenshot, i have 8,386 out of 9676 that it can carry how much would the ship weigh unloaded?
its carrying 353 gold @ a weight of 3,177 and 269 silver @ a weight of 2,152= 5,329 tons.
2. (according to Wikipeda)the closest thing i can find to a heavy merchantman ship is the Amsterdam an 18th century (EIC) East India Company ship with a weight: 1,100 tons <-----so how much could it carry in its cargo hold?
FYI i suck @ math, so i dont understand tonnage and all this.

ship.jpg
here's another question, this Man 'o' War
in this photo it says:
weight: 2,120 tons and down in the cutout for supplies it says (not including weapons/ammo): "77 barrels of beef, 112 pork, 126 beer 3 tons of candles and 4 tons of tobacco." so this ship says it can carry more than it weighs hows that possible?

Back