• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Abandoned Realistic Cargo Mod Beta Version Update 2

Hylie: The only problem I imagine with the cannons is that yes I can add the "Default" cannon weight to the ships, but what about the players who want to upgrade or downgrade their cannons? or strip the ship of cannons completely?. The ships tonnage would still be altered for the "Default" cannon weight. Took a peek in Cannons.Init and the cannons have weight values. I don't know if their in use, I know in aop2 the cannon weight affected cargo weight for ships but they might have used a certain code. I'll tinker with it this evening and see what I can work out.

Last edited:
This question is for Pieter: There seems to be a sort of randomize code for the goods price GOODS_PRICE_SCALAR. I've altered the cost of goods in InitGoods.c but i'm not sure of where it is and what values to change for the GOODS_PRICE_SCALAR?

Hylie: The only problem I imagine with the cannons is that yes I can add the "Default" cannon weight to the ships, but what about the players who want to upgrade or downgrade their cannons? or strip the ship of cannons completely?. The ships tonnage would still be altered for the "Default" cannon weight. Took a peek in Cannons.Init and the cannons have weight values. I don't know if their in use, I know in aop2 the cannon weight affected cargo weight for ships but they might have used a certain code. I'll tinker with it this evening and see what I can work out.

Isn't that what POTC already has going on? 4 pounders weigh as much as 32 pounders. The only difference large vs small cannons has is the amount of powder needed. Even the balls all weigh the same.

But having all cannons weigh nothing at all is just as bad.

It would be pretty cool to have Canon weight figured in properly.
Probably would require a fair bit of figuring out though. I'd recommend making a separate features request for that on the Brainstorming forum.

That scalar value is probably defined in InternalSettings.h though I'm not sure in what files it is used.
Is have to check that tonight.

Thanks to Mr. Boelen I've discovered the problem with the warships not using their cargo capacity to the full extent and as the script involves setting the amount of food, rum, balls, grapes, knippels, etc to the amount of the crew + randomized a little. I've decided not to mess with it lol since I don't quite yet fully understand it and would rather have warships not use their full cargo (which isn't quite all that bad now that i think about it) than me messing with the script and breaking it lol. The trade ships work and are stock full of goods :D being a pirate is going to feel a lot more rewarding now :cheers.....well that is until you realize that the goods don't sell back for nearly the price they used to :rumgone

Last edited:
@Levis If I could good sir pick your brain at your earliest convenience about your fetch quest mods as I may need to adjust them a bit to compensate for the change in cargo space.

Went through both the Bartolomeu and Assassin Storylines no issues for their delivery quests both ships have plenty of cargo space. With that i'm off to bed if anyone can think of any other story related cargo issues please let me know.

All I can think of is the cargo carried at the start of the Sea Hawk storyline, but since it looks like cargo capacities will be going up drastically that should not be a problem.

So It turns out that the smuggled/contraband goods are included in the GOODS_PRICE_SCALAR so their is no need to adjust them :D also the Nathaniel Hawk cargo delivery works fine as the game only gives you 100 of two goods. Gonna pour through the wiki and see if there's any quests that have cargo delivery almost got this thing wrapped up and ready for beta testing.

Wiki searched and so far I haven't found anything. Did some poking around in the fetch quests I'm pretty sure it's based off level and difficulty with a randomizer not cargo weight. So i think I'm ready to launch a beta version gonna work archiving it and should have it up before I hit the sack this morning.

I do believe that makes you a Storm Modder. Congratulations! :onya

I see the file is atached to the opening post, so should be easy to find for people. Will add it to the next WIP update. :doff

So I started the Devlin Opera and my starting ship is the Caravela Redonda of 1441 tons. This is well within the range for this type as the largest caravel I have heard of was one very large Portagee one of 2000 tons captured by English pirates.

Beta 3 2015-04-10 08-21-11-40.jpg

Ok I have a problem with this. On my first visit to a shipyard there were only 2 ships for sale, a Lugger and a Caravela Latina. The Lugger could carry 2245 cargo and the Caravel could only carry 1214 cargo. That is unbelievable as that type of caravel historically topped out at 2000. Unless I'm thinking of the Carrack. Anyway how does the Lugger, which can fit inside that Caravel, get to carry twice as much cargo?
Beta 3 2015-04-10 09-32-59-05.jpg Beta 3 2015-04-10 09-33-04-97.jpg

This illustrates the problem well. The tartane has the same cargo capacity as the caravel.
Beta 3 2015-04-10 16-30-37-39.jpg Beta 3 2015-04-10 16-30-46-02.jpg

Ah thanks for bringing it to my attention @Hylie Pistof the Caravels were some of the first ships I edited (before I could view them with GM Viewer and see their size) got my info from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caravel thought she was similar to the Caravel Latina which is only between 60 and 70 tons burthen. Will change her capacity to a bigger Caravel that matches her size/guns like the Santa Maria for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_María_(ship). I think you might be thinking of Carracks as far 2000 tons the biggest Caravel I've found only displaces 180 tons.

Last edited:
Back