• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Realistic Game Mode: Slight Correction to Fore-and-Aft Rigged behaviour

jsv

Freebooter
Storm Modder
Hm... Speaking of hoys. I'm looking at RS_CalcSpeedScalar in SEA_AI\AIShip.c and there is this condition:
Code:
if (fClosestPoint > 0.2)
           fTempSpeedZ = Bring2Range(RS_BACKWIND, 0.0, 0.0, fClosestPoint - RS_CP_OFFSET, fOffWind); //allow backwards travel
else
           fTempSpeedZ = 0.0; //if not square rigged, can't be pushed back

The Hoy is not exactly square rigged, but her closest point is 0.22 and so she has no troubles backing astern :)
And most luggers seem to have the closest point 0.225 so I guess they are considered square rigged as well.

Last edited:
That's a bit curious.... maybe that value should be 0.3 then or so?

That's a bit curious.... maybe that value should be 0.3 then or so?
That would be to much, that's what real square riggers have. More like 0.24. I can't say by just looking at the code, the initialization is not very straightforward. Some ships have the closest point specified, some use .RigType instead and some have neither. I'd need to dump the data from the game and make a table of it. :)

But looking at what RigTypes there are, 0.24 seems right. The border case being brigantines and galeoths with 0.25.

Ooops, just noticed when merging Levis' stuff: I used 0.224 mistakenly. Enough for hoys, but too small otherwise... Updated the post.

The sailing characteristics of the ships are set so that they achieve their maximum speed with a 30 knot wind and empty holds. They can usually exceed it then too. Full holds slow them down significantly just like the real ships. Merchant ships slow down more than warships do.

The Hoy is a special ship in that it has a small sail area for her hull size, but the sail type is such that she sails best with a side wind and is slower with a tail wind. She also sails well into the wind making her an overall pretty fast ship. If you want a really fast small ship get the Diligente tartane. Now that is a fast ship. The Luggers are also very good ships.

Prohibits hoys, luggers and maybe some other lateen-rigged vessels from backing astern.
What do you mean by "backing astern"? I have watched real ships (sloops and schooners) being pushed backwards when tacking in light winds.

What do you mean by "backing astern"? I have watched real ships (sloops and schooners) being pushed backwards when tacking in light winds.
In Realistic Game Mode: Wind comes from straight ahead, ship moves backwards.
There was some code in place to prevent this for fore-and-aft rigged ships. This was based on a "limiting value" on the "closest point of sail".

@jsv just increased that number ever so slightly so that it would apply to some other fore-and-aft rigged ships too.
This means that they'll simply lose all speed, but won't go backward with the wind dead ahead anymore.
Effectively makes tacking a bit easier on a few ships, I think, which sounds fair enough to me. :doff

Some of them already do that. It has been a while since I sailed a hoy but I seem to remember that it will move backwards when facing directly into the wind. The Diligente would not go backwards if my memory is correct. I have no idea how luggers work and the cutter is crazy. I have seen them doing 14 knots sailing directly into the wind.

Some of them already do that. It has been a while since I sailed a hoy but I seem to remember that it will move backwards when facing directly into the wind. The Diligente would not go backwards if my memory is correct.
True; that is because of this code @jsv ran into:
Code:
if (fClosestPoint > 0.2)
      fTempSpeedZ = Bring2Range(RS_BACKWIND, 0.0, 0.0, fClosestPoint - RS_CP_OFFSET, fOffWind); //allow backwards travel
else
      fTempSpeedZ = 0.0; //if not square rigged, can't be pushed back
He just changed that "0.2" number to "0.24". No huge change there. :no

I hope he knows what he's doing. A lot of people worked for years on the ships.
All this change means is that a few more ships cannot be pushed backward by the wind.
I very much doubt it will make much difference one way or another. :shrug

I hope he knows what he's doing. A lot of people worked for years on the ships.
All this change means is that a few more ships cannot be pushed backward by the wind.
I very much doubt it will make much difference one way or another. :shrug

I hope he knows what he's doing.
You make it sound like I'm making some dramatic changes and then pushing them silently into codebase. :ninja

A lot of people worked for years on the ships.
And one of them had left a comment in the code clearly stating his intentions. When I noticed that what I observe in the game is not what is supposed to happen according to that comment, I reported that. Pieter proposed a small change, which I then implemented. End of the story.
The change is small, trivial, and by no means it is going to turn sailing ships into spaceships (and most of the ships are not going to be affected in any way), but you're more than welcome to take another look at the closest point values in IntShips() and verify whether the number I've used makes more sense than the one that was there before.

Back