• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Restoring the Dutchman?

Thengill

Landlubber
After going through all the CoAS ship models I figured I wanted to see the dutchman without all the damn seaweed on it.
Well after doing some really really basic texture editing I thought she might actually look good if someone where to give her a propper overhaul, if someone were to do this, we have another ship to sail, encounter, blow up or get blown up by.
It's not a bad model, and with new textures and some fixes to the model she would be a damn beauty!

Anyway, I'll just show what I did, mind you I'm not exactly great at creating textures, I basicly just did some quick editing to see whats underneath all the seaweed, she still looks like a ship thats been at sea for far to long, but atleast she isnt covered in seaweed and all that crap.

Dutchmanoverhaul.jpg

Now I noticed when I altered the alpha textures that theres gaps in the model, the seaweed seemed to cover those and by altering those textures you can now actually see the gap. (you can see this in the image below)

Dutchmanoverhaul2.jpg

And finally theres missing pieces in the model, most notably on the bow, but also the capstan and some railings etc. I wont go into posting pictures of every thing that is broken on the ship, you get the idea, minor things mostly aside from the bow.

Dutchmanoverhaul3.jpg

So any takers, the model is already there, all it needs is a little overhaul :)
I'd do it myself but modeling is not a skill I possess.

Speaking of restoring the Dutchman that is one thing we NEED to do for the Build Mod, we need to make it have the original as well as the cursed version ;)

But we need THAT based on the real PotC movie Flying Dutchman and not the CoAS version.

Havn't had the time to work on the textures much these past few days, and my photoshop is acting up again, it does that sometimes, so cant get any work done, but for it to be a new ship someone really needs to work on the model, we cant have a new ship that looks like its been in battle and the crew is just to lazy to do repairs.

The bow is probably quite easy to fix, just need to give it a figurehead to cover up the missing pieces.

The rest needs some work, and it would probably be a good idea if we were to remove the model entries for the seaweed hanging from the sides instead of just altering the alpha texture (which also works), and the obvious gaps in the gunports (again modeling isnt one of the skills I possess, and I'm to impatient for it anyway since modeling takes time).

I mean why not do it? It's a fine ship model and would be a nice addition to the Build mod, and AoP aswell as CoAS.
Well unless you like sailing around in a barnacle infested floating kelp forest.

//Edit

Well did some work now, still not entirely happy with the results, it either ends up to dark or to bright and can't seem to get something in between, been trying diffrent colors.

Havn't started with the masts or the deck just yet, but I did "repair" the windows on the stern

Dutchmanoverhaulnew1.jpg

Dutchmanoverhaulnew2.jpg

Dutchmanoverhaulnew3.jpg

Dutchmanoverhaulnew4.jpg

Sorry for posting so many pictures :p

But I found out why they turned out to be so dark, when converting them to .tx they do infact end up slightly darker than they appear in photoshop.

So now I think I've got it right still nothing fancy just a simple "wood" colored hull.
Made 2 new retextures and finaly found where the hatches for the gunports were, so no they arent brighter than the rest of the hull, well not by much anyway.

Dutchmanoverhaulnew5.jpg

Dutchmanoverhaulnew6.jpg

This is looking very nice, can't wait to see the end resaults, hopefully it will be easy to find in game since i find it hard to find many ships, it seems most fleets tend to use all the ships i don't want, i haven't seen a MOW at all yet hence the reason i had to use the cheat window, i even sold several MOW thinking it might influence the game to use them but no. So my new plan is to give disloyal officers who are ready to jump ship the chance to captain a MOW in the hope they sail off with the MOW and will still have it when i next meet him/her.

Indeed nice work. Has anyone noticed how much it resembles the WASA from the side? Now there would be another great model to have in our environments! With some effort I think this could be a WASA. V/R AS

Well it definantly ISNT the Flying Dutchman xD:

The Flying Dutchman is very much a different model to the one used in CoAS ;)

This is looking very nice, can't wait to see the end resaults, hopefully it will be easy to find in game since i find it hard to find many ships, it seems most fleets tend to use all the ships i don't want, i haven't seen a MOW at all yet hence the reason i had to use the cheat window, i even sold several MOW thinking it might influence the game to use them but no. So my new plan is to give disloyal officers who are ready to jump ship the chance to captain a MOW in the hope they sail off with the MOW and will still have it when i next meet him/her.

Well I went into every game file that made refrences to what ships spawn and altered them, the only stock big ship I kept ingame was the Lineship, all the others I concidered to ugly and removed from my game, luckily there's the Wappen von Hamburg and the "Dutch Lineship" to replace them and in place of the MoW I used HMS Victory.

I even removed the stock frigate in favour of Surprise, Boussole and Constitution, which is also why I would like to see more frigates of varying sizes and no. guns.

Anyway, I wont be the one to complete this, these are just basic retextures, the model has many faults which needs to be addressed and the rigging needs to be rerigged, theres damaged spars etc.
I can show you what I mean (Soon), those of you who have sailed or seen the CoAS Dutchman should be somewhat aware of what I mean.

dutchman1.jpg

dutchman2.jpg

dutchman3.jpg

As you can hopefully see in these shots, the position of the main-topsail and the fore-topsails are positioned quite low, which makes it look really silly when at full sail, these needs to be put in line with the "end" of the topgallants.

The very top of the foremast is almost falling of the mast.

The spritsail yard is broken and as such has no sail on it, same goes for the sprit topmast yard, except this one isn't quite as broken and still has a sail on it.

The mizzen mast has a lone yard on it (I'm not refering to the lateen yard mind you) I'm guessing she is missing two yards for the mizzen topsail and topgallant.

I think thats about it for the rigging, unless I've missed something.

Good work so far! Now there are some minor fixes left for the rigging. I suggested to Yoho some month ago to get the ship "refreshed". We can do this together. I just got a bit closer in using the diaz-tool.

:dance

The more i see her the more i like her. I have seen and sailed the Flying Dutchmen in COAS the one covered in sea weed and what not, i never noticed all the faults though. I guess when you have a ship so badly messes up as the Flying Dutchmen is you don't look for fualts and if you do spot them you tend to think they was made to look that way.

I can't see any other problems but then i just love the new ship textures, you've done a nice job and these problems you have found i hope don't take up all of your time to put right.

I totally agree on all the ugly ships. I kept a few more than you did but agree on your choice of the nice ones. I have been scrubbing POTC ship files I like trying to get them to work in COAS. I'm working on the Batavias which I think will be a nice addition. Slow process and having some problems, but making progress. I think others are working on this too. Can't wait to get ahold of yours. We will have some really nice ships for COAS next year I'm certain! :will V/R AS

I'm in the missle of taking pictures of each ship i come across in game, i take 2 pictures per ship. The first is the detailed screen showing her stats the second is a picture of her with full sails sailing out of the harbour. I have catagorised them into classes so as to make it easier to know which ship belongs to which class, this is slow now since i have done all the common ships, i have only come across 1 Black Pearl and there are 2 types in COAS so i might have to start with the other one in order to take her pictures. So far ithink i have took pictures of 3 Frigate types, Chase Frigate, Frigate and Coastal Frigate, i like the Chase Frigate's layout as its a nice design, i don't remove the ugly ships from my game because i like to have alot of veriations for battles that way i don't become accustome to the ships and in my own apinion each ship offers a different tactic when fighting her, like the Black Pearl has only 36 cannons but is still a hard hitter and can take a pounding her self, not to mention she isn't exactly slow. Then there's say a Salamander pictures i took of her are bellow, she is about the same speed as the Black Pearl but has 8 more cannons, not too many but deverstating damage can be taken if under estimated, so the Black Pearl might be weaker approaching from either side than the Salamander but both can still do alot of damage. However the Black Pearl is weaker going against the wind and thus starts to show her weaknesses, and for that reason its easy to fire into the front of the ship with grapeshots killing many crew members before bording, the Salamander on the other hand isn't as slow so this tactic (if started) needs to be done from further ahead of her, which means she could react and turn broadside on you, so like many fast but deadly ships i come from the rear and fire grapeshots into her stern.

For example in my new game (yes i restarted again lol) i was in the Heavy Lugger Pictures bellow.

She's a class 6 ships capable of carrying a little more cargo than the slightly smaller Lugger, anyway my cannons was 16 calibure Culverins which i had 12 of, not many. I saw the French was in a battle with the pirates so i thourght since i have yet to improve my cannon skills this would offer me the chance and advantages i need to be safe whilest still able to improve the skills i need. Well the pirates had 2 ships, a Interceptor (faster than me and more cannons) she sailed passed, i was not more than 200 yards away from her and she only fired on me once and most shots missed. The other ship was a Galleon, she was heading into the battle while the Interceptor was trying to flee, i could see why becuase chasing her was the French Corvette a 30 gunner, the Galleaon of the pirates had the French Interceptor and a Galleon to contend with all on her own. I watched as the French Galleon parked behind the pirate Galleon while the French Interceptor came across the front of the pirate Galleon, this made my mind go tactical thinking, i was in a very small ship could easily be sunk and was carrying cargo destined for Saint John'sfrom the merchant at Port Of Spain, so i couldn't afford to take too much damage and not come away with anything from the battle. I decided to appraoch the battle, i came straight in from the south heaqding directly for the stern of the pirate Galleaon, i figured if i can park just to the left of the Galleon's stern i could take advantage of her and fire a few broadsides of grapeshots into her and then board her, she must already be quite weak anyway.

Well that was my plan but when i got there the plan took on a new light, first off i had forgotten to change my shot type to grapeshot which ment i had to wait a long time for the gannons to reload, and to make matters worse the Interceptor of the Fench fleet which was originally crossing the bow of the Galleon was now about to turn broadside to broadside with the Galleon which ment the Galleon had the chance to set sail, i fired my broadside of chainshots into the rigging, one or two shots hit the other's all missed (my gunner crews need to be more patient and learn to aim) i then hit grapeshots command and decided i would risk everything, i timed it so the Galleon fired her broadside into the Interceptor allowing me to pass on that side with less chance of taking a full broadside myself which worked due to the wind changing direction just at the right moment. I managed to pull infront of the Galleon and fire 1 broadside of grapeshots into her before she boarded me, i had only 105 men, she had much more from the looks of things, i fired my long pistal and began swinging away at anything that came near me and my men, trying to make it so the enemy troops would fight my men leaving me to hit them from behind or other weakened area and thus letting my hit with as many deadly swings as i liked without having to block anything ment i was free to kill a fair few of the troops and slowly give us the advantage. In the end only myself and 1 man on board was till alive yet after i killed the captain and took the Galleon over handing command of her to a fellow officer of mine i had 69 men left, enough to crew both the Galleon and my own ship. I couldn't use the Galleon myself the stats was all red -1 was all the stats so i put the Galleaon into storage ready for when i am able to use her.

So there is my tactics at play, had the Galleon not been blocked by the French i would never have attacked her and that ment i would never have captured her. So patients can play a big role in tactical battles, i would rather use a ship of lower class and attack ships of much higher and far more powerfull both in cannons and ability to take heavy damage, than i would to use a ship of similar standings. I love the Constitution yes, but mine are alway's put into storage and used when i want to have the advantage on my side (in this game however i don't have any, YET) anyway the new Flying Dutchmen will offer something new compared to the Black Pearl which i come across alot while i have only ever come across a Flying Dutchmen twice, first time had no other plan of action but to flee, the second time however i had a Caravel and was able to board the Dutchmen and win the battle and is the time when i captured her. I can't remember much of her only that she was covered in sea weed etc, the stats on the other hand i can't remember, i can't recall how many cannons she had or how big the cargo hold, how strong the hull was etc.

Well a few new ones, havnt tested em yet to see what they look ingame.

Someone mentioned Vasa so I made this one, ok its a lousy approximation, but fact is you'd need to rework the entire ship to actually get Vasa, the ammount of carved works of art on the stern alone would be a years work for a modeler, I actually tried getting some of the stern arts on the model but gave up it just didnt look good as mere textures, infact it looked down right horrible.

dutchmanred.jpg

Then I also made these

dutchmangreen.jpg

dutchmanyellow.jpg

Some might want a look at the stern, but I cant give you any yet since I havnt gotten to work on it, I'm thinking of applying something to cover up the original carved figures (which is just a texture) on the top of the stern, but havnt decided on a motif yet, so what is basicly there atm is just a color/colors applied in layers on the stern it pretty much looks like the side of the ship.

That does look really good. I think I like your three new pain jobs better than your original above.
If the rigging is the only problem, you can fix that with Inez Dias' TOOL.
You might just be able to copy the mast files from another similar-rigged ship.
Then you'd just need to make the ropes join properly with the hull.

That does look really good. I think I like your three new pain jobs better than your original above.
If the rigging is the only problem, you can fix that with Inez Dias' TOOL.
You might just be able to copy the mast files from another similar-rigged ship.
Then you'd just need to make the ropes join properly with the hull.

Hmm, that may work, problem is I have absolutely no idea on how to do it.
The rigging isnt the only problem, well its the main problem, but theres some things that need to be fixed on the hull aswell, like broken railings, broken capstan and some (probably most) gunports which at certain angles lets you see through the entire ship, theres also a big chunk of wood thats been cut out of the side of the port stairwell leading from the spar deck up to the quarter deck.
And she is missing a figurehead, she wont ever be complete without a figurehead.

Like I've said before, I dont know modeling so those I cant fix myself.

Made another texture, and also started working on the stern, it's not done but I thought I'd give you a preview :D

dutchmanblue.jpg

dutchmanbluestern.jpg

Back