• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Restoring the Dutchman?

Looks fine, really. Did you complete the fixing of the model damages especially the rigging (masts & reys)? Would you load it up?

You know we could have a "damaged" variant released, make it part of a quest specific salvage quest in one of the "desperados" style careers so its the player's first taste of handling a large ship.

The salvaged vessel would have poorer stats definitely and if ever it were sent to a professional shipbuilder for a proper refit in said quest (for a huge sum of piasters) then swap the ship for a "fresh Dutchman"!

It does look like a really nice ship, wish someone would restore the Dutchman in PotC Build so we actually have a movie accurate Will Turner version :shrug

Looks fine, really. Did you complete the fixing of the model damages especially the rigging (masts & reys)? Would you load it up?

No, since I dont know anything about modeling and I don't really plan on learning it. Sorry but I can't fix a model when I dont know how and even if I where to learn modeling it would take me quite some time to even get to a point where I could actually fix this model, I could create more textures for it though, if some modeler out there is willing to fix it.

I pretty much just did these textures because I wanted to see what she might look like when cleaned up.

Havn't worked that much on the textures recently theres still the deck to work on, it's quite hard finding out which part of the deck texture covers what area, and the problem is some of those textures covers multiple areas so changing it to look good gets a little tricky.

I suppose I could show you my most recent texture, I went for another wood texture so it doesnt look like the hull is made up of horizontal planks, I'm actually kinda proud of this one.

Dutchman10.jpg

Dutchman11.jpg

I like the look of the damaged fixtures. Who cares about the "undamaged" version - I'll just make a quest up for the player to get hold of an outdated hulk and slowly builds her up to seaworthy status...

I've just experienced the power and (downwind) speed of a large ship rigged... ship and would love to have one of these to run down lesser boats with :3

Historical question - I'll probably never have a chance to be aboard a replica of one of these, but did the sloped rear deck pose any problems at all to "living conditions"?

I've just experienced the power and (downwind) speed of a large ship rigged... ship and would love to have one of these to run down lesser boats with :3

Historical question - I'll probably never have a chance to be aboard a replica of one of these, but did the sloped rear deck pose any problems at all to "living conditions"?

i suppose there is no such thing as "horizontal" at sea... or at least it's very relative.... (if that's what you've ment)

There's a design draft so there would be 'horizontal' as well.
Of course it then depends on the loading of the ship if it really DOES end up being horizontal.

The Storm engine unfortunately doesn't model trim and ballast so if we had a curved deck ship like that the gunports tend to flood unless we fix her like the WBT fast galleon, indiamen and USS Enterprise - make them sit high in the water.

I suggest modelling her in design draft and sailing trim because we rarely do sail out unladen ships in this game.But as for this ship, its fine as she is :3

The model itself is vanilla, the textures was a small attempt at cleaning the ship up, which never got done, since the model has to many broken or missing pieces (on purpose to make it look old).

And as for releasing the textures, that can no longer be done since I no longer have them, lost due to crash.
I no longer have the time nor the interest in retexturing the dutchman.

Back