• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Revamping the PA! Social Media Profiles

Here's the final 400x300 logo for ModDB

PAlogo-400x300.jpg

..and a 300x300 PA! They should both reduce down quite well.

PAlogo-300x300.jpg

Nice texture effect to the background mate, that really makes it stand out! :onya

That's excellent, thanks Jaco! I've updated the ModDB logo now. We'll need Pieter to update the other profiles with the square logo, though.

More importantly, we have another inconsistency: "PiratesAhoy!" or "Pirates Ahoy!", which is correct?
I'm aware that you stylise it without the space, but our current forum logo clearly depicts it WITH a space, which is what prompted me to use it when I added the logo to ModDB.
I like it without; that's what it used to be like anyway...

Armada, you can change the Twitter and YouTube pages yourself: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/piratesahoy-community-promotion.18391/
Facebook anyone COULD do, but you need a Facebook account and I know you don't have one.

I stand corrected. Thanks Pieter, I forgot about the login info. :rolleyes:
Legendary_Spider has a Facebook account and sometimes posts on the PA! profile, so maybe he could change the logo.

So it should be "PiratesAhoy!" with no space, then? I guess we need to adjust the forum logo, too. :p
Now would be the "opportune moment" anyway, seeing as the other variants are being updated.

EDIT: Twitter and YouTube profiles now updated. Lookin' good with the new logo! :onya

That "Pieces of Eight" font puts very large spaces between words when you type it normally. Here's a version of the PA! logo with no space. I used a font called "Charlemagne" for the "chasing booty.." strap, which looks similar to the original font.

PA-logo-382x88.png

This is a transparent .png, same size as the logo used on the forum banner, so in theory you should be able to just replace the existing logo with this to see how it looks.

WeAreNotSupposedToWriteLikeThis,AreWe?

It would make more sense for it to be "Pirates Ahoy!", with a space. Even if Keith wouldn't agree I'd still argue that with a space makes more sense. :p

Sure it makes more sense with a space, but one could argue that removing the space is just a stylistic feature. Personally, I'm not too fussed which one we go for.
As far as the logo is concerned, I must admit I prefer it without the space. I reckon it works for either name style, because of the red capitals distinguishing the two words more clearly.

It would be nice to eventually rework the forum's colour scheme to a more suitable piratey theme, which would complement a logo change, but that would require a lot of behind-the-scenes work from myself or another moderator/admin.

Here's another argument:
"Pirates Ahoy!" = "There be pirates here!"
"PiratesAhoy!" = "This here community and nothing else!" :whipa

Very true, that. :yes
(BTW, which smiley is ":grr" supposed to be?)

:whipa is the "whipping" one. Apparently it doesn't work.

BTW: The Facebook profile has a nice picture, but it doesn't display nicely for me yet.

Does anyone have any thoughts on a better profile description than the ones mentioned above? This is just as important as the logo, as far as I'm concerned.
Since no-one seems to have come up with any better description ideas yet, I've made some rough drafts myself. :p

Short description (for Twitter, Facebook and YouTube):
PiratesAhoy! is a community for all fans of pirates and the Age of Sail, centred around games, books, and movies.
We are best known for our popular mod projects, including 'New Horizons' for PotC, and 'Gentlemen of Fortune' for AoP2:CoAS.

Longer description (for ModDB):
PiratesAhoy! is a community for all fans of pirates and the Age of Sail, centred around games, books, and movies.
We are primarily a modding community, our flagship works being the unified Build Mod (AKA 'New Horizons') for Akella's 2003 game 'Pirates of the Caribbean', and the 'Gentlemen of Fortune' mod for their more recent game, 'Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships'. Our most recent project is more ambitious, to develop our very own role playing game set in the Age of Sail, using Unreal Engine 3.

The community is free for anyone to join, regardless of age, nationality or ability, and we always welcome new members to our site. We're always on the lookout for beta testers, coders, modellers, texture artists and anyone with new ideas!
For more information and to join the community, please visit our main forum: www.piratesahoy.net.
Any thoughts? :bounce

EDIT: I've also revised the ModDB profile banner to reflect our updated forum logo (currently only used in the WIP 'Aurora Pirate' forum theme):
ModDB_PA_Banner2.jpg

What do you think?

Sounds good to me. Maybe change "we always welcome new members" to "we always warmly welcome any and all new members" to drive home the fact that we are NOT a bunch of NASTY pirates here by any stretch of the imagination.

Go ahead and put that new logo on the ModDB; I want to see what it looks like on our page! :dance

Aye, aye! I made your description change and applied both the banner and description to ModDB. :onya

Any other suggestions before I apply the short description to the other profiles?

Nothing I can think of at this time in any case.

ModDB profile looks very good! :onya

Back