• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

RIP

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
Well, it looks like I finally killed this POTC patch 7-2 WIP install. :328_skull:

I wuz working on Lyon Hoy. I thought I had it all ready to go, so started POTC. Instacrash! :j3

So the debugging started as I removed one item at a time. Eventually it went from instantly crashing to lasting until the load savegame screen, where the screen would flicker and then go black. That's it.

It does give an error report now saying there is something wrong with the townfantoms at line 107. But there is no line 107! :8q

Is there any chance to revive this install, or should i just wait until the next patch comes out?

That looks severely messed up; what DID you DO??? Maybe if you remove your SAVE files and the "options" file from your main game folder, that will do some good?

Well, I was able to start a new game and it is working normally so far, so that means the install is ok. :ty

But I had things going on in the old game that I would like to finish before I forget them. I tried removing just one save, but it still crashed.

So, who wants to take on the Lyon Hoy? It has wiped me out twice now. :slap

These are just some screenies I took during my last voyage. Level 60 and year 1716. :rumgone

The ship is RN_HeavyFrigate. The hull beeps and has the bad bow wave, but other than that she's cherry.

The first 3 masts and sails are from the NL_Amsterdam, the mizzen mast is from a pinnace, the mizzen sail is from a French battleship, and the spanker is from a light frigate.

Are the masts too tall?

What other ships do we have with beeping hulls now? We can't afford having any of those for Beta 2. :facepalm

So, who wants to take on the Lyon Hoy? It has wiped me out twice now. :slap
How far did you get with it? If most of the work is already done, I could check it to see what might have gone wrong.

The ship is RN_HeavyFrigate. The hull beeps and has the bad bow wave, but other than that she's cherry.

The first 3 masts and sails are from the NL_Amsterdam, the mizzen mast is from a pinnace, the mizzen sail is from a French battleship, and the spanker is from a light frigate.

Are the masts too tall?
The masts are pretty much perfect for the rigging, nice job!
All I would suggest is that you move the lower two yards on the foremast down a bit, so the topsail isn't so squashed compared to the other sails.

What other ships do we have with beeping hulls now? We can't afford having any of those for Beta 2. :facepalm
Apart from the to-be-scrapped Gaffboomgaleoth, I don't think there are any other beeping ships, so there's no need to worry.
Just be lucky we're not in as dire a situation as the GOF team are with their bugged ships. They've got really bad issues!

How far did I get? I should have had a working ship with crew. I renamed the textures so there is no conflict, followed the tutorial on shipwalks, then used a shipsinit.c file from a lugger with some modifications. I probably should have used a cutter or sloop instead since they have single masts.

Then it ctd'd. So I removed one file at a time looking for the problem. When everything was gone the game still crashed. The install is working though as I'm playing a new game.

Maybe I'll try them again, but right now my morale is so low I have to reach up to lace my boots. The files are too big to upload here, so I will put them in my FTP folder.

That's a heavy frigate and I'm all the way up to level 4 now, so it will be a long time before that ship gets touched again.

If this ship beeps, then possibly its sister, the US_Heavy_Frigate beeps too. Then there are all of the regular frigates. Who knows?

Perhaps there was something else conflicting with the Lyon files in your install, but who knows what? :shrug

Anyway, I have never known any of the stock frigates to beep - or any of the stock ships at all, for that matter.
If any of them do beep, it's probably because of recent modifications to the hull, probably before you began working on them.

No original stock game ship ever did beep. Any beeping of such ships is because of corruption caused by later modifications. That's a certainty. :shrug

Yeah, the RN_Heavy_Frigate was worked on by someone who left it unfinished. I started working on it because I wanted to work on frigates and it was the first one I captured. I just looked and the other frigates are ok.

That means this one can be repaired pretty easily.

Have you tried using Frigate2's hull, and changing the locators and textures to fit RN_Heavy_Frigate?
If doing that causes the beep all over again, then I will need to re-export the hull. If not, then that makes things easier. :cheeky

Yes I have. I made a copy with the RNFrigates textures, but need to do the locators manually and then test it in game.

But I have to wait until I can capture a frigate first. I won't use the console again until after patch 7 is released. Using the console a lot kills POTC.

It should not cause any beeping. The RNFrigate's hull is corrupted, but the others are not.

New thought. I could use the rigging for frigate 2 and it would be good to go.

Dunno. It is something I first noticed a year ago. When it is used a lot the install goes wobbly. The last time the console worked for me was with the dutchpinnace1, and that took 7-8 tries before it worked. The next time I tried to use it was for the Lyon Hoy.

I've used the console to death but my game never died from it. :shrug

Back