• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Room for one more aboard?

Sursmurfen

HoO Team Member
3D Artist
Hello all,

Hope you're all enjoying your summer. Been skulking around here for a while and finally decided to volunteer and perhaps join this merry crew. Have messed about with Maya for a few months only but can create some props, buildings, and (melee) weapons without to many four letter words being directed at my computer. I'll manage producing my UV's, apply textures, and export to engine ok.

Having a full time work means no crazy 24h shifts but I still have "comparably generous" free time to dedicate and I would be happy to participate and pitch in wherever needed. Let me know if I can help.

Cheers!
// Janerik

:ahoy

I have seen you around and am glad you finally took the plunge. Those who can use your skills the most will be along shortly. What would you be most interested in doing for a first project?

Your help would be much appreciated indeed!

So it's modeling for you then, is it? We can always use more of that. :woot

Hi guys, and thanks for the welcoming.

Well, we might be willing to "work for free" but that doesn't make selecting the right project any less important. As for first task I really don't have any "demands" as the whole idea is to get out of the comfort zone and learn to do more. But let's start small and work from there as we find things useful. Is there a modelling plan? What's needed to push forward along the critical path so to say?

I'll sit tight for now and wait for the 3D master dude to come by.

// Janerik

I might have interest in you :)

But actually more on texturing part. How are you with that?

Hello there @superdurnius;

I might have interest in you :)

Good to hear. Looking forward to being the fresh 3D probie on the team.

But actually more on texturing part. How are you with that?

Ah, as for textures I might be a bit lacking in the artistic department to make something shine/useful. Points and vectors in space are fine. I always expected to make some stuff and then face the humiliation when my textures got ripped and swapped out before they got into the game. ;)

I cheat badly and use Substance Designer before I muck it up in PS. Don't need to know about brushes and stuff then. Just add a ready made node for grime, dirt, wear, or whatever.

However, as much as I prefer 3D - I refuse to fail before I even try... so bring it on. We can always have a laugh at it later. :)

shinypointystuff.png

UPDATE: Moved picture location.

Last edited:
Curently we are
Hello there @superdurnius;

Good to hear. Looking forward to being the fresh 3D probie on the team.

Ah, as for textures I might be a bit lacking in the artistic department to make something shine/useful. Points and vectors in space are fine. I always expected to make some stuff and then face the humiliation when my textures got ripped and swapped out before they got into the game. ;)

I cheat badly and use Substance Designer before I muck it up in PS. Don't need to know about brushes and stuff then. Just add a ready made node for grime, dirt, wear, or whatever.

However, as much as I prefer 3D - I refuse to fail before I even try... so bring it on. We can always have a laugh at it later. :)
It is what it is:

Don't worry about your skill. We can combine our efforts :) .

Currently we are concentrating on Rappier models with flintlock pistol.

Rapier is modeled from 4-5 different parts, that are interchangeable with each other, similar design way as attachments work with FPS guns and so on....

I'll write you PM with details of what is modeled by the idea and how it should be compatible with other parts. That yet have to be implemented in-game though (we don't have any weapon system working yet), but we can be prepared, don't we?

Give me few days to find some time to write you everything with examples.

No worries, I'll sit back and relax. ;)

I need to upgrade from the free sdk CryEngine to the Steam EaaS version anyways so that'll be my next step.

You might want to hold off on that....

You did catch me just in time to stop. :O Well, can't say I would be very disappointed if that means what I think it means.

@Pieter Boelen; Would it be to presumptuous to be allowed to read the thread about your concerns? I've seen it referenced several times but am of course still "outside looking in" and have no clue of how your discussion is going.

I'll go googling caribbean architecture as a sugar mill or something in the meantime. ;)

Back