• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Sail Emblems and Colony Capture

Kevin the Seasick

Powder Monkey
Hello all,

I'm currently playing POTC Build 14 Beta 3.1, Tales of a Sea Hawk. I ramble, so I've bolded my questions for a quicker read if you are so inclined. So, I just now started playing with the Choose Sails feature and had a question. First, though, just know that I'm sailing a Jackass Bark and English Bark (in case that makes any difference). Also, at the customization screen when starting a new game, I changed my personal flag to the one with the lion and a white background. I changed my nation to England.

Anyway, I noticed that selecting a nation's flag allowed me to display that nation's emblem on my sails. Cool. However, when choosing my personal flag, the "national emblem" that appears is a beige-ish and gray skull and cap with two brown guns in the crossbones pattern. I noticed this to be the case even after changing my personal flag a couple times. I assume this is just how it is, with one stock personal emblem.
However, is there any way to change this so that my sails can represent my true personal flag with the lion? This is obviously not some game-breaking issue, and it's no big deal if I can't, but I'm a sucker for customization, which so far this game's been pretty generous with, except in this case. If it involves coding, please explain in detail since I have very little experience with such things.

Also, another question while I'm at it. Since I chose my nation flag at the beginning to be England, will this be an issue when capturing a colony in that I will only be able to capture it for England, or will I still have the option of capturing the colony for myself under my personal flag? I do understand that I cannot capture certain colonies due to the main quest and that there are plenty of others to capture. As I'm only sailing relatively weak ships, I have not yet had the opportunity to test capturing a colony, especially after mistakenly hoisting the wrong flag at Bridgetown. Yikes!

Thanks in advance for your help!

I can't help with sail emblems. But as far as I know, your flag does not dictate who you will give the colony to. When you've finished rampaging through the town you end up in front of the governor, with the options to demand ransom or install a new governor, and if you choose the latter then you can choose which nationality the governor will be, including your own.

In any case, you can change flags any time you like. I don't know what significance your starting flag has, other than being your default flag until you raise another one. And last time I played "Tales of a Sea Hawk", I did exactly what you hope to do - started out with the English flag (default for that storyline), ended up taking several colonies for myself. (Including one which had significance to the main quest, but didn't at that time due to the main quest being complete. :))

Right on. Good to know you've already "tested" it for me! Time to go grapple some high-class ships and load 'em with cannonades! Thanks! :)

Now, can anyone answer the first question about the sail emblems? I'm not sweating it either way. It'd just be cool.

You can try updating your game to Beta 3.2. A lot has been fixed there. D.Link: PIRATESAHOY DOWNLOAD
And if you experience your problems again, try posting another thread, but here: Build Mod Bug Tracker

Anyway in yer second question, of course you can choose whom the colony would belong if you've successfully captured it.
If you have two able officers that can be your Governor and Fort Commander, you can have the colony for yourself. And of course, it will be under your personal flag.

I'll have to download it for my next game, as I'm rather enjoying my current game, and if I understand correctly, I'd have to start over after downloading 3.2. Sounds like the solution, though, so thanks!

Btw, does it matter who you assign as Governor and Fort Commander? E.g., would it behoove me to install a governor with high leadership/commerce and a fort commander with high accuracy/cannons/melee?

Sails are sails and flags are flags. They are separate so you can not get your flag emblem on your sails except by happy circumstance.

The "standard" sail emblem for Personal Nation is the old PiratesAhoy! Logo. However, there are a lot of other emblems available to choose from.
Select "Standard Sails", then change "National Emblem" to "Pirate Emblem". You have various colour (white/black/red) and whole/torn choices as well.
Is that enough customization for you?

And you when Capturing a Colony, you can ransack it for money, give it to another nation or take it for yourself.
The flag you are flying does not make a difference. You can even give the colony to a nation hostile to yourself. :razz

Pieter, I've already browsed through those options, but I like to play the game as more of an RPG where I'm telling/playing a story even in free play. While those options are cool, I don't play as a bad-ass pirate and have never and will never hoist a pirate flag in this game since I play as more of an "officer" to the various crowns. Sure, I may still be loosely defined as a pirate in the broadest sense (though I prefer "privateer"), but I fancy my character as a pirate-hunter, which may seem silly to you hearty sea dogs. Therefore, applying skulls and crossbones to my sails does not fit in with the character persona I'm playing. Hylie says a sail is a sail and a flag is a flag. I already understand this, but consider when you choose England's or France's flag. When choosing national sails, your sail reflects a similar emblem. I simply thought it'd be quite fun to have the emblem of my sails reflect the emblem of my flag, just as it does when you select England or France, e.g. I always fly this emblem (unless sneaking into an enemy port), so I simply wished to represent it as fully as possible. So to answer your question, Pieter, no, that is not enough customization for me. But there is plenty in this excellent game to customize, so it's cool. As I said before, it was never a big deal. Just a fun little extra treat. But maybe that's just me. I mean, hey, I would've loved to customize a little more in some other video games I've played, but in the end it didn't really take anything from the overall enjoyment.

Thank you all for your answers, and I will continue to have a blast in this game. I'm very thankful to you modders for making this a fantastic game. I'll get 3.2. eventually.

It is relatively easy to add more sails into the game. If you are willing to create your own, we can tell you how to put them to use. :yes

I am sooo not used to being on forums where someone basically says "you help out, we can make it happen." I love it!

The funny thing is, though, I finally got some big boy ships (or big girl if you please, ahem), and that giant flag on the stern of a frigate shows my personal emblem in all it's glory. I'm happy enough with that. So well done, and regards to you all. :dance

Back