• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Salt & Wind Reshade for NH on Maelstrom Engine

Strannik

Sailor Apprentice
Programmer
Provisional
Hearts of Oak Donator
Hello friends I wanted to share Salt & Wind a new Reshade for the Maelstrom Engine that works with @ChezJfrey , @Mirsaneli , and @mitrokosta 's amazing adaptation of NH to the storm engine.

I want this reshade to be a tribute to their work, which I feel brings a new life to NH, and to their ability to work together to heal a long-standing rift that can only result in amazing things for all pirate lovers out there.

More details here:

WIP - Porting New Horizons to Maelstrom Engine

and here:

Notice - New Horizons on Maelstrom 2.8.4 Engine

-------

Since Malestrom works in DirectX9, you can take advantage of the amazing Reshade post-processing framework.

My aim is to modernize the visuals and bring a more vibrant and sunny Caribbean feeling. This reshade adds:

1. Tonemap changes to remove and balance the original bluish tint and make the Caribbean brighter.
2. Adaptative Bloom to give a stronger impression of light and darkness, adding more depth to the game. Nights feel darker now.
3. A combination of anti-aliasing algorithms to soften the sharp edges of the old graphics, making the game nicer and softer on the eyes.

DOWNLOAD:

You can download it here:

28.52 MB file on MEGA

VERY IMPORTANT:

Make sure you turn off both anti-aliasing and postprocessing in the Maelstrom engine configuration.

INSTALLATION:

1. Download the reshade installer (4.9.1 at the time of this release): ReShade .
2. Run it.
3. Click the button that says "Click here to select a game and manage its Reshade installation".
4. Click on "Browse" and point it to the Maelstrom executable you are using (for me it is D:\Maelstrom\gentlemen-of-fortune-maelstrom-engine\DirectX9_64bit\Maelstrom.exe).
5. Click on Direct3D 9.
6. Click on "Unchek All".
7. Click on "Ok".
8. Place the contents of the zip file inside the folder containing the executable you chose and overwrite all.

The folder structure inside the folder with the Maelstrom.exe executable should look something like this:

X4g7OSU.jpg

ACTIVATION:

If Reshade installed properly, you should see a message telling you Reshade is running, once you start the game. In order to activate the profile, follow this instructions.

1. Press 'Home' to bring the Reshade UI.
2. If it is your first time, follow the tutorial. It is short and sweet.
3. Click on either the left or right pointing arrow buttons at the top left corner of the screen to select the profile you want.
4. Profit.

PERFORMANCE:

I see no impact on performance using reshade on the integrated Intel video card of my laptop. However, I included a "Potato" profile without anti-aliasing, in case you want to try it. I also included a "No_preset" profile so that you can compare the game with and without reshade.

TWEAKING

I went for a bright Caribbean because that is how I experience it, but if you want to easily tweak brightness, play around with the "Tonemap" filter. It is active (at the bottom of the active list), but not doing anything at the moment.

BEFORE & AFTER:

The screenshots below can be seen with a slider here: Salt and Wind - Age of Pirates - Maelstrom Engine

Before:
iCapG13.png

After:
D3hGrpC.png

Before:
dG8X4bD.png

After:
eEDT2s0.png

Before:
JDOGZv5.png

After:
u0M8UsN.jpg