• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

sea battle

chris2u

Landlubber
Hello to all,

I am new in that forum and do not know yet whether this is the right place to post my question. If not I am sorry for any inconvenience this might cause.

But now my question: I recently started playing POTC with the build mod and really enjoy playing it. However, there is one thing that is troubling me: nearly every time I enter the 3D sea battle view from the 2D map I find myself in a really bad starting position often directly facing the braodsides of several superior man-o-wars or merchantships which instantly start firing at me. Is there a possibility to avoid that situation and to enter the 3D view with a bigger distance to the enemy so that there is a chance to decide whether or not to engage after having a chance to evaluate the enemies strength? I already tried to sail only in the 3D view to avoid this but I think there is nearly no open sea in that modus and I only encounter other ships in kind of near-land-scenarios. Another disadvantage seems to be that there are no long lasting chases possible as after some distance one enters a new island-scenario and the chase vanishes at that point.

Your help is very much appriciated

regards

Chris

:gday mate!

Good timing. I almost missed your post.

For starters, when joining a battle you will learn where to position your ship just before going to 3D mode so that you have room to fight or flee. :shock Try moving to the off side of the friendly ships.

Then on long chases there is a way to keep them going. Hitting the zero ( 0 ) button disables the direct sail mod so that the battle may continue. Hitting it again then enables it.

Then there is this new mod that I have been testing for over a month. http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/18384-directsail-timescale/

It has a different time scale as well as a different map scale. You can sail from any island to any other island in a reasonably accurate time scale. Or you can go to the world map and back if you so choose. The big islands are a pain to judge and you need to get close to the islands name before going to direct sail, or you can end up a long way off from where you want to be. But this also takes care of your issues. :sail

Hi,

thank you very much for your answer!!!

If my understanding is correct, my starting point in the 3D mode depends on when and in what position and distance to the other ships I change from the 2D world map into the 3D mode (e.g. by hitting the space button when the ship or battle icon appears on the upper left hand side). I think I already tried that out but unfortunately only with little success. Is it maybe also a question of the quality of the spy glass? I have only a normal one and the ship icon does only appear when I am already very near to the other ships and after that it seems that sailing to a better position in relation to other ships on the world map becomes quiet difficult.

Many thnaks again!

regards

Chris

why do all wanna rush into battle first phang? okay, nae problemo, the opponents also only cook with water or summing, you'll see. After the first salvo, when the smoke has abated somewhat -hey, this is moving nicely from bow to stern along side, ..or hangs around there for almost as long it takes for a reload. So irritating at the beginning :rolleyes: - you probably will notice that you are still on the scene and about to make an impact. To not tell too much, have always planks and sail-cloth wiv ye. What's even wiser would be some accompanying vessels drawing and giving fire themselves. Before any crucial moments eg and possible ways of the storyline save the game. One of the surprising effect in this here mod has been for me the many unexpected turns, problems and possibilities what makes one think a bit. For sure can you meet on vehicles at the open sea, plus some other stuff. Then start pondering again ;) Your shoulderpet is going to listen with its sailingear. :yoho ,,mwuhaha.

Hi,

thank you very much for your answer!!!

If my understanding is correct, my starting point in the 3D mode depends on when and in what position and distance to the other ships I change from the 2D world map into the 3D mode (e.g. by hitting the space button when the ship or battle icon appears on the upper left hand side). I think I already tried that out but unfortunately only with little success. Is it maybe also a question of the quality of the spy glass? I have only a normal one and the ship icon does only appear when I am already very near to the other ships and after that it seems that sailing to a better position in relation to other ships on the world map becomes quiet difficult.

Many thnaks again!

regards

Chris

Ah, it is not how close you spawn to the other ships, it is how to tell who they are before they start shooing holes in your ship! :j1 In game go to your "relations" and study the flags carefully. With practice you will be able to tell who they are before they get too close.

Also, as you progress you will be able to buy better equipment that helps a bunch.

Ah, it is not how close you spawn to the other ships, it is how to tell who they are before they start shooing holes in your ship! :j1 In game go to your "relations" and study the flags carefully. With practice you will be able to tell who they are before they get too close.

Hi, thanks again for your answer.

No,no, what I meant to ask was: how can I manage how close to other ships my ship "spawns" in the 3 D battle view when coming from the 2D world map. Identifying other ships in 3 D view works well for me and as I already managed to work me up the ships ladder a little bit (now I have a gaff schooner, Ho, Ho, Ho) the chances of getting away from stronger opponents are pretty good upwind. Sorry, that my last questions confused thinks a little bit...

Thanks in advance

Chris

Ok, I'll try again. In 2d mode look carefully at the ships in battle. You can usually tell their nationality, with English ships having a yellow stripe and French being black and red, for instance.

Then maneuver to the side of the battle where the friendlies are. There is no way to tell what the wind direction will be. Then go to direct sail and see how it works out. :cheers

Back