• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Sea makes game laggy/choppy

Gray

Landlubber
This has probably been covered and i tried searching but couldnt find anything.. Can anyone tell me if theres another way to lower the sea graphics? If i lower the graphics in config i cant read anything? Isnt it suppose to leave the print and text alone when changing the graphics in a game? Regardless it was still choppy and laggy on the sea when i lowered it. Everywhere else the game runs smooth. The regular game sea runs smooth. So its the build sea. Choppy laggy and the superfast ship cam dosent help really. Any help would be super awesome i would really like for the game to run smooth for me. I have no problem running any other games sims, CS, DOD, my pc is decent. Thanks for reading!!

Sorry to hear about the low frame rate at sea. We all have that problem to some degree. I actually used to get much better frame rates until I got a new video card and drivers for it. The latest gear is not optimized for DX8.

That said, there might be something you could try. In engine.ini towards the top there is a line called "screen_bpp". Change that from the 32 bit setting to the 16 bit setting, save, and see if it helps.

The only other thing to do is stay with smaller ships. The large ships do deliver a frame rate hit and lots of big ships deliver a large hit.

Yes the water itself has been improved but it should have no effect on frame rates. The large highly detailed ships are what really drag down the frame rate.

I dont think so man.. I really think its the sea.. Even when no ships are around it gets choppy. Its smooth but every couple seconds theres a skip i can see it.

I have no problem firing cannons and being around ships dosent seem to change performance from when im not around them. Like the ones that are always chilling at the dock for me when i make a new game

Yea i tried everything disabled particles even though thats only when fighting really.. Tried 16 bit. Tried lowering graphics. Tried disable real waves. Anyone can tell that the sea is just way too much for the game to handle. Its got a little choppyness in the world map too not as much though. Around ships its the same as when im all by myself out in the sea. Cannons dont lag. Ships really dont have that much detail. They look really good but theyre not HD nor do they look HD without extra features. I dont think they would slow down FPS i think MOVING water that looks like its HD would. Thats common sense. I guess ill try out the Build 13 mod. I cant play a choppy game like this. Takes out all the fun. Im not trying to bag on build 14 its really good just needs tweeks. I would rather play the regular game or 13 if it runs good. Thaks alot for the help though guys i appreciate you trying.

Ah, so it is not so much a low frame rate as a hitch when at sea. That sounds like other processes running in the background. POTC is very sensitive to that and can even be crashed by other programs starting up.

Advanced System care7 has something in it called Turbo Boost. This turns off background programs and makes games run much better. Enditall also does this.

That "graphics quality" setting in Config.exe is quite useless. Always was, ever since the original game.

Do you have the Intel Fix and/or ENB Improved Graphics installed?

Ok i still been trying all this time its still installed im going to try the readyboost or whatever it is. I had something like that in the past for Minecraft.. No intel fix or improved graphics. I just installed it and tried to tweek it once i noticed the sea was making the game choppy. Still think its the sea

The mod still uses the original sea graphics textures. The differences are in things like the size and shape of the waves and colors, plus changing something called a zap.

We didn't do anything on the sea itself that should make the performance less. But we added a lot of other things being processed at the same time.

If you want to be sure, you can install the Intel Fix. That will remove the "reflective effect" of the sea and might possibly improve your performance.

Could you guys send me a link to the intel fix and possibly tell me how to do it if its hard. I might be able to find it first but just incase. Thanks alot for trying i really like this mod. You guys did a seriously good job on it. The sea area choppyness is just driving me nutts gotta figure it out

Yep i tried it all i think. Im throwing in the towel. Cant take it anymore. I cant play it when its all laggy and choppy out at sea. Cant do it i tried and i tried to tweek it. Ill be going back to try 13 and if it runs choppy and laggy ill just play the regular game. Thanks alot everyone for trying. And i hope you guys fix the sea or whatever is making it laggy/choppy because build 14 looked pretty good from what i got to see. I can play brand new pc games but cant run a mod for a 20 year old game. Something is wrong. Specially since the regular game runs fine. Really hope you guys fix this

Something is wrong. Specially since the regular game runs fine. Really hope you guys fix this
Nobody else reported this issue though. I suspect it must be something wrong with your hardware/software.
Modern systems often start having problems with older games because they don't quite "understand" how they work anymore.
Perhaps that is messing thing up?

Nobody else reported this issue though. I suspect it must be something wrong with your hardware/software.
Modern systems often start having problems with older games because they don't quite "understand" how they work anymore.
Perhaps that is messing thing up?
Sorry man but i havnt really found a game yet that dosent run good on my setup.. Anyways though. UPDATE. I uninstalled build 14 it was way too laggy/choppy out at sea. I tried pretty much everything i could to make it work and in the end it has to be something to do with the sea. Im now on build 13 and it is running nice and smooth. Loving every second of it. Makes the game a whole lot better than the original. Gotta say you guys did a good job i love it. Build 14 needs some work. It runs smooth everywhere except the sea.. Way too choppy. The cam sensitivity needs slowed down too because it makes it worse. Thats just my opinion.. Im going to be sticking around and maybe help people out if i can and what not.. By the way i did find a gamebooster that works decently with POTC it is Game Fire. Real easy to use and i suggest anyone check it out. I dont need it but it does do some good so i kept it.

thats true about potc i dont play it but i tested it and it lags like hell
even with my quad core proc working on 4600,8gb rams and 2gb ddr5 graphic card
vanilla game works fine i belive there is something or more things in game that causes slow loading which gives lags like to high poly models or to much oversized textures
i had similar prob in coas modd of my own i dont know what was prob but at sea lets say in battle it started skipping frames
normal 1.2.3.4.5.6.etc and with problem was like 1.3.5.7.8.9.11.13 similar like when u hit R button for speed up but its not speeded up just skiping like in that mode

Sanel, I'm curious about your CPU. Is it running at 4.6ghz and/or it an AMD 4600? I know some tricks that help AMD cpus.

amd a8-5600k apu with radeon card its working from 1400-4600 depend does something using cpu heads or not

Back