• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ship Abilities

mmm

Landlubber
I been wondering what exactly "The skill is only available after appointment of a officer, who has the skill." means. Whats the point of ship skills if i can just get all of them from officers?

That never made any sense to me either. By the time you get an officer with good skills, you are pretty good at that yourself.

Ship abilities are devided. Some of them are for Bosun, Carpenter, etc.
To be honest, it doesn't make sense to have all ship abilities ( just as captain ) because you'll never use them.
There're only a few ship abilites for captain, I mean the flags, so Jolly Roger, Union Jack, Flag of Spain, Flag of Holland and Flag of France.
The rest is for officers.

So if you have 'light repair' ability as your captain, you'll never use it.
You have to have somebody as carpenter with this ability to use 'light repairing'.
I mean you need officers with their abilities because even if you have all abilities as captain, you'll not use them without officers.

I recommend to search good officers. Some of them can have 'multitasking ability' which is one of personal abilities and this person can be e.g. bosun, carpenter and doctor.

For bosuns you should take a look on Grapling ability, leadership.
For carpenters, repairing.
For fighters, experience in using light, medium or heavy weapons, pistols, energy and life ( if it is 90/90, this person can be killed really fast ).
For doctors - stealth and luck in my opinion.

Take guys with good loyality and good reputation.
If you have experienced crew with loyality as excellent, good officers can just help you.

Well-experienced officer with bad loyality and opinion, can decrease loyality of the whole crew. It can make mutinies, etc. Pay attention on these guys because when you gain new ship on the 2nd slot and made him as captain, he can make a mutiny and leave your convoy.

If you go to tavern and talk to some candidates, some of them will tell you let's see " I'm good bosun, I can also be a doctor " - it means he can be officer on 2 slots, so he is the best in being bosun and doctor. In this situation you don't have to waste time because he improved his skills and I think he'll be cheaper than 2 different persons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back