• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Ship Class Names and Descriptions

-ACHTUNG-

Landlubber
Storm Modder
Greetings Pirate's ahoy community!

I'm here because of a dilemma I've run into but before that a bit of background as to how I came upon this.

A couple of weeks ago, me and my little brother found this little (like it's 50mb) game on steam called Windward. We played it bout a hundred or so hours or more and while he did get bored of it in time I didn't. Now with me interest in naval things (specifically on the age of sail) I wanted another game about it. And that's when I recall an old playthrough of such a game by One F. Jeff on youtube.

I found out that said game was Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships. Now skipping over the trouble I had trying to get a copy of the game working on my machine. I figured that I'd might as well get a mod for it. And that's what's lead me to this place.

At first I tried the Combined Mod V3.2 which was on Moddb... It was fine but didn't really have as much content as I had hoped, so I went and tried GOF 1.2 also on Moddb... Yeah it's quite a bit buggy... So I went to these here site and found GOF 2.0 and it's patches, and so far it's been the most stable and the one that I most enjoyed.

Now I've done a bit of modding in the past, nothing public, just little tweaks here and there on games and mods I like to suit my tastes. Be it altering unit sizes and editing animations and behavior of units in the Total War series or editing troop trees and whatnot on the Mount and Blade franchise.

Naturally I went and found the modding tools I could find for CoAS sourced from this site as well (something called gmviewer and TOOL) Took a few days to learn em with the help of the tutorials scattered about. I ended up shaping my own copy of GOF 2.0 to my tastes, like relocating some rope points on select ships and fixing a LOT of lateen, Gaff and spanker sails. And notably some price tweaks (The Black Pearl for example was less expensive than one of the 16 gun sloops).

Now on to the debacle, I'd like to rename the class names of many of the ships, for example the rather vague "Warship" or changing the "Wicked Wench" to "Indiaman" and others along those lines.

Now I don't know if I've overlooked em but a search of the forums yielded none (at least for CoAS, I did find something along those lines for PoTC)

Would anyone be so kind as to point out how to do it or at least direct me to a thread that does.

Now I don't know if I've overlooked em but a search of the forums yielded none (at least for CoAS, I did find something along those lines for PoTC)
Should be the same as for PotC, though I'm not entirely sure if CoAS also uses refShip.SName for this in PROGRAM\Ships\ships_init.c .
If so, that should refer to what is defined in RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\common.ini .

You'd be welcome to get involved in the work being done here to further improve GoF.
If you're interested, I'll add you to the private conversation on that subject. :doff

Thanks for the hasty reply, and yes CoAS does seem to use the refShip.Name at least for the Ship description. The ship's name is referenced by "makeref(refShip,ShipsTypes[SHIP_namehere])" on common.ini

Now I can begin to edit some class names and descriptions. At the moment I'm starting with the XebekVML the model of which I have replaced with rider's CoAS conversion of the Arcadia Xebec from PoTBS. I've renamed it to the "Atlantic Xebec" and the description basically passes it off as a large Xebec from the Mediterranean that has wandered into the Caribbean.

And yes I'd be happy to help to improve GoF, at least to the extent of my capabilities.

20150617-fcvq-116kb.jpg

Would if I could, unfortunately that's what pops up when I click the link.

On a completely different note. Have you any information regarding what the "refShip.GeraldSails." bits do in the Ship_init?

And yes I like got the game and the mods bout a week ago and started tweaking stuff bout three days ago.

"ShipsDescribe" apparently still has descriptions for ships that no longer exists in GOF 2.0 with patches 1.3 to 1.5

Also thanks for both the link and access to it.

:facepalm I didn't know that was not a public forum! No wonder there was no activity there. :pirate07:

Back