• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ship Classification System

I do remember. We need to find a replacement ship that DOES work properly in our game.
Any suggestions? While we cannot use the Soleil Royal ( :modding ), I'd still like it to be a high-quality ship.
How about 'Le Superbe' by Pgargon that Experienced Captain recently adapted to PotC?
Though admittedly, that's more a frigate than a manowar type ship...

How about Fr_Boussole or USS Constitution or HMS Dauntless --- Best thing to do is ask Bartolomeu it should be his decision :yes

:cheers

Boussole might work, but that's still a frigate-type ship.
The USS Constitution is a US ship, so would seem a bit out-of-place, at least to me.
The Dauntless is the proper battleship type, but has an English colour scheme.
The "FR_SotL" uses the same model though and could be used.
Unfortunately, all the Endeavour-based reskins seem rather low-detail to me. :(

Anyway, I sent a PM to Bartolomeu, who should be the one to decide. :yes

I was thinking the closest thing to the Soleil Royal must be the Manowar models. :shrug
One of them would look quite good in the quest, since they're reasonably well detailed, I reckon.
Plenty of colour schemes to choose from, too!

Do you have any preferences or pointers, Bartolomeu? Do you think she needs to remain a similar ship type?

I've now added the CoAS stock 'Soleil Royal' to PotC, and removed the old (better) one.
She's... quite well detailed, same model as Manowar3, appropriate texture, 102 guns (NOT 112).
I'd say she's the best choice (even though I prefer the normal manowars), because she's almost a totally unique design in the game.
That's my opinion, anyway. :cheeky

Sounds good to me! And that does allow us to keep the existing folder names,
so no code changes would be necessary at all, apart from a modified ships_init.c entry. :woot

Sounds good to me! And that does allow us to keep the existing folder names,
so no code changes would be necessary at all, apart from a modified ships_init.c entry. :woot
Actually this model is called 'SoleyRu1', but I guess I could just rename everything to 'SoleilRoyal' and it would work. :shrug

Yep, if you rename all GM files and replace the original folder, no code modifications will be required in the storyline files.
There's a free program available on the internet called "The Rename" that is useful for instant mass-renaming actiosn like this one.

*cough*... :wp
This topic seems to have been boarded and captured by the Soleil Royal, so for the record, I'll sort out the names and upload the model when possible.

But for now, can we PLEASE bring this topic back on track? :keith
By that, I mean which ship class system do we prefer/ any feedback on them.
This is very important to the balancing system which I am working on, so I need to make a final decision.

I´d prefer the historical rating system. :yes

As per my previous posts, I reckon the historical system for navy ships has been making more sense to me lately.
We could also see if we can add those notes in the shipyard interface on the Merchant/Balanced/Navy ship type.

Right- I think unless there are any major oppositions to the historical system, I'll probably just keep that one.
If I'm honest, I think it'd be easier for us all if there is one, reliable system which we can all recognise and understand, as opposed to a toggle between two systems, which may cause confusion and misunderstanding.
It's not that I don't LIKE the balanced option for Navy ships, only that not many people would fully understand it, in my opinion.
By contrast, the historical RN Rating System is more widely known, and easy to explain to anyone who doesn't know it with a simple table summarising it.
It isn't much effort for me to revert to the original balanced system, but there aren't enough people who are opposed to the historical system for me to do so.
Therefore, the historical system seems the right choice to me from that perspective.

If anyone is highly opposed and would really prefer Oberleutnant's original balancing system for Navy ships, then please let me know.
I want to make sure that whichever decision I make is based on the community's overall consensus, and not the opinions of one or two people alone.

Sounds like a good decision to me. It's also the least effort one, which always helps. :razz

I have a question about the Indiaman. It has evolved from the Frigate Transport to the Fast Merchantman to an Indiaman. How does a Frigate become an Indiaman? But, my main question is what happened to its capacities? This ship is an old frigate that has been stripped down and converted to a transport ship. That would imply less hull strength and a larger cargo capacity. But its hull strength is 3000, which puts it in the large frigate range while its cargo capacity is 1500, which puts it in the small frigate range. It has also become quite expensive to buy, which is strange for a well used vessel. Compare this with the only other class 5 ships, the Grand Schooner and Swordfish Xebec. While they have lighter hulls, they have more guns and a larger cargo capacity. Plus they cost less. All this makes it a bad deal. This used to be a good ship so, what happened?

Going back to the Soleil Royal, I've now successfully renamed her files so that no quest changes need to be made.
I assume she'll need to be included in the next patch, and all references the old ship removed.

In my opinion, she'd be better if she didn't have wooden cannons, although I think she's not the only one like that.
Probably a minor texture thing, only really noticeable on deck anyway.

The relevant files are in my folder on the FTP.

@miklkit, I haven't touched the Indiaman at all, it was Oberleutnant who completely revamped the stats, so I don't know her exact history in the game.
I do agree, she does seem a bad deal when compared to the other class 5 Balanced ships, but only in terms of capacity and guns. You need to bear in mind she's a faster and stronger ship than the other two, and there should never be an outright 'best' ship in a class, of course.
Interestingly, though, I do think she seems odd compared to a standard Light Frigate, which has 2500 HP, whereas the Indiaman has 3000 and the SAME capacity, despite less guns. :blink:
Therefore, I think the Indiaman should have, say, 2500 HP and 2250 cargo capacity, since that seems to fit the system better.
P.S. If you notice anything else bizarre about ship stats, please post it in 'Additional Ship Balancing', so it's easy for me to distinguish between class and stats changes. :cheers

Wooden cannons? Make sure she uses desk.tga.tx and not deck.tga.tx.

Wooden cannons? Make sure she uses desk.tga.tx and not deck.tga.tx.
Oh yeah, desk.tga is the CoAS version of deck.tga, right? That'll solve it.
EDIT: Amended files on FTP now, that's better. :onya

Back