• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ship Surrenders - What Now?

DocMoriarty

Powder Monkey
I was just doing a quest for a governor to hunt down a ship. The ship surrendered though. I tried to board it after surrendering but that was not possible, never got the grappling icon being next to the surrendered ship.

What can i do with a surrendered ship? Shouldn't i be able to board it and take it? I mean they surrendered ...

Well i didn't find a way to do it, so i continued shooting at it and sunk it to finish the quest. But either surrendered ships should be boardable or quest ships should not surrender at all!

Another problem in that context was that i switched off friendly fire in InternalSettings.h (EXTRA_HIT_CHECK=0). But the result was that the Spanish ship never got aggro on me (Spanish are still friendly), no matter how many canon balls i sunk into it. Friendly fire should be handled different, for example if i do more than 5-10% damage on a ship then it should get aggro. Yet the quest ships that i need to hunt should probably always be aggro, no matter what the relation to the nation is.

So i switched friendly fire back on.

Indeed you are supposed to be able to board surrendered ships.

Wait. You were friendly with the Spanish and you took on a Governors quest to sink or capture a Spanish ship? You can not board a friendly ship. If you had changed your flag to that of the nation of the Governor who gave you that quest you would have been able to board.

I think it surrendered to another NPC ship. Actually there were three Dutch ships chasing that Spanish ship and firing on it. Could it be, that i couldn't board it because it surrendered to another ship? In that case quest ships shouldn't surrender.

Definitely possible for a ship to surrender to another ship.

The real problem is, that i was friendly to Spain as it seems. After changing the parameter to get aggro when firing at a friend in InternalSettings.h the Spanish ship went red for a while until it surrendered. Surrendered it was grey (friendly) again. A good solution to that type of problem would be if the enemy state would be carried over by the transition from fighting to surrendered. Not everyone including me is aware of the fact that flags can be changed. Or better i knew it basically but didn't think about it in this situation. Next time i do governor missions i will use the countries flag for which i work as long as i work on that quest.

Back