• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Should I play POTC or CoAS

Umm, both! :))

I've never played CoAS. It is DX9 while PotC is DX8, so it should have better graphics. They both use some of the same ships now if the historical ship pack is installed. PotC has a big world with many quests that will take you a long time to complete. I have never come close to completing them all.

It is DX9 while PotC is DX8, so it should have better graphics.
I must disappoint you - both games use DirectX 8, CoAS simply proposes to install DirectX 9 (same as PotC, BTW), prints a static text "Initializing DirectX 9", but loads DirectX 8 instead. Meet modern marketing.

Of course, I corrected that one thing so program shall detect DX version it uses and print appropriate message. I plan to add support for other renderers (Direct X 9,10,11,..., OpenGL) but it requires me to get more free time, as well as gain some more experience in DirectX/OpenGL coding.

Back to topic, both games, both.

pirate_kk

I stand corrected Sir.

Support for other renderers? Awesome! :bow I like OpenGL because on my system it performs very well and delivers better colors.

That sounds like a huge project. I'm still hoping you could help us with fixing and finishing various things... :?

That is true. I know of one person doing a dx11 conversion for a dx7 game. He has been at it for nearly a year so far. But he is known for not finishing things.

Conversion-only from DX8 to DX9 wouldn't be such a big deal. However, I'd like to make game to work on a couple of separate renderers. In a configuration program user would select one and then program would load that one from a dll. The problem is it's not so easy because references to rendering dll are scattered around the code and, what's worse, in many places outside the proper rendering library the variables with types from DirectX 8 are used. I must find out some way to put all those in rendering library only; additionally it must be an universal method which would produce identical results for all renderers. My raw idea is to construct thing like, for example:
Code:
SendRendererRequest(RENDERER_COMMAND, param1, param2, ...);
but obviously, the devil hides in details. This should be written in some right way.

pirate_kk

Ah, the good ol' needle in a haystack syndrome. Hopefully non of those references are hardcoded in.

That doesn't matter in the case of CoAS, because we've got the source code for that so NOTHING is hardcoded anymore.

Back