• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Should I try modding?

Båtsman

Landlubber
I am new to this forum, so please don´t hang me for minor mistakes, please.

I have owned this game for quite a few year. The thing is that it isn't running that great on my old PC, quite badly actually. So does the mods make the game run worse? The game is currenty starting to slow down significantly during combat with multiple ships.

Thanks in advance.

PS. I haven´t played much on the PC before so this is indeed deep water for me.

1. Are you playing stock COAS?

2. What are your computer specifications? The stronger your CPU is the better it will run.

1. Yes.
2 The computer I am using is an old desktop with laptop components. I usually stick to the 360 for gaming but I am considering getting a dedicated gaming-PC in the future. The CPU is an Intel Celeron CPU 450 @ 2.20GHz.

Om du med moddande menar spela COAS eller POTC med sina mods tillagda så är det väl så.
Har bara erfarenhet av POTC. Med mods är storleken c:a 10 GB, från 2 GB stock POTC.
Köpte ny dator i veckan så nu går det bra men tidigare var det främst väldigt sega laddningstider.

Det är COAS jag spelar och problemet är att spelet sakar ner rejält om det är flera skepp som är framme samtidigt. Det sker främst under strider till sjöss som det händer. Jag undrar om moddande gör spelet mer krävande eller, tvärtom gör spelet bättre optimerat.

Jag tippar på att spelen blir tyngre av alla tillägg. Jag har själv blivit tvungen att höja flera maxgränser i POTC.
Så, om det går trögt redan med originalspelet skulle du nog helst behöva en lite snabbare dator.

Det får väll bli en mega-PC att införskaffa. Jag hade bara velat testa lite PC spelande först och därför ville jag testa moddande. Men tack så hemskt mycket för hjälpen och godnatt.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I now have all my questions answered.
Merry black Friday stampede to all.
:sail

I checked 'PC för alla' on internet. They compare new computers and divide them into 3 classes:
game, media and office. The gaming ones are very expensive and I think you'll do with one from the 'media' class. (For theses games)

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip, but I´d rather wait some 6 months, so that Nvidia and AMD can adapt to the new consoles. More longevity for the same buck. Then It´l be a lot of online searching around for what will wont be needed.

Are you thinking about the AMD APUs that will be coming out? Speculation has it that one of those coupled with a mid range video card will make a good budget gaming rig.

No, I don´t know much at all about computers but if it can run Civ 6 when it comes out at mid range settings it might be a good choice. Thanks for the hint.
:checklist

What they are is a CPU (processor) with a GPU (video card) built into it. This is designed to compete with the Intel integrated graphics.

The beauty of this is that it is all AMD, so that if you also install a compatible AMD video card you get 2 video cards running at the same time.

The only issue is that no one knows just how good the CPU itself will be.

Well I can speculate that games won´t become more more graphically intense than what they are now, it simple aren´t worth pursuing that, what with all the costs associated with it. But games need to use more CPU, especially better AI.

I am going to look around for components and I am in no hurry.

Back