• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Sidequests for Additional Storylines

I forget to mention that the questbook is out of order. The titellines in the questbook
do not connect to the right quest. They are one line ahead.

Which questbook entry is that? Or all of them?

The work is just stacking up, isn't it? And I still don't know when everything will be back to normal on my end so I can start tackling some things again.

Which questbook entry is that? Or all of them?

The work is just stacking up, isn't it? And I still don't know when everything will be back to normal on my end so I can start tackling some things again.
All the questbook entrys is a line ahead.

Every single one of them for every single quest?
Was that straight from the start of the storyline or did it get messed up at some point?

Every single one of them for every single quest?
Was that straight from the start of the storyline or did it get messed up at some point?
Yes every single quest. Unfortunately I first notice the problem in the middle of the game, so I dont
know if it was from start or messed up lather on.

If I recall, that has happened before and it was because of a missing entry somewhere halfway into the game.
Which means it probably got bugged at some specific point. But without knowing at what point, it would be searching for a needle in a haystack. :modding

Sparrows dialog: At the point where you have to take "Justine" back to her Father on Martinique,
Sparrow says something like:" We have to take you back to your father on Cayman"

Dont know if there is anymore to test in this game now, I think I will start a new
game. HTC or maybe some of Grey Rogers promotions work, I dont know yet.

Dont know if there is anymore to test in this game now, I think I will start a new
game. HTC or maybe some of Grey Rogers promotions work, I dont know yet.
If you want, you can do both at the same time. ;)
In PROGRAM\Storyline\JackSparrow.c remove the playertype.lock and nation.lock lines.
Then select any nation that Grey Roger worked on (England/France/Holland) and select Naval Officer as player type for the Jack Sparrow storyline.
I think that should do it. :cheeky

(Whether it makes any logical sense in respect to the story is a different thing altogether. Jack Sparrow starting as Dutch Lieutenant is certainly very strange.... :razz )

I forget to mention that the questbook is out of order. The titellines in the questbook
do not connect to the right quest. They are one line ahead.
This is almost certainly linked to whatever went wrong with the quest. Something has tried to update the questbook and failed.

Did you start a new game after installing the newest version, or did you continue a previous savegame? I originally tried continuing a previous savegame, which appeared to work at first, though I never got as far as progressing any quest because I ran into a different problem - the game crashed whenever I tried to get a sword polished by a blacksmith. After I'd started a new game and got to the point of polishing the same sword at the same blacksmith, it worked correctly.

After installing the latest version (installer downloaded 15th May, no zip updates yet) and starting a new game of "Bartolomeu", the following side quests have completed successfully:
A girl won in a card game
Artois Voysey
Baldewyn Coffier
Find Angelique Moulin's father
Find the missing son of the Spanish admiral
Help the boatswain
Help the church
Help the lady
Patric and the idols
Sabine Matton
Saga of the Blacque family
Saving Toff's daughter
Thierry Bosquet
Woman who lost her husband and son

Still in progress, no problems observed so far:
Hard Labors of an Assassin (killed Amerigo Vieira, still to return to get payment and final mission)
Strange things going on in the Caribbean (defeated the Mefisto, just need to report to Port Royale and Kralendijk for rewards)

I originally tried continuing a previous savegame, which appeared to work at first, though I never got as far as progressing any quest because I ran into a different problem - the game crashed whenever I tried to get a sword polished by a blacksmith. After I'd started a new game and got to the point of polishing the same sword at the same blacksmith, it worked correctly.
I wouldn't have expected that to be a problem. Crazy game! :shock

After installing the latest version (installer downloaded 15th May, no zip updates yet) and starting a new game of "Bartolomeu", the following side quests have completed successfully:
Cool! I wouldn't expect there to be any major issues with the generic ones. If they work in one storyline, they should work in all because they completely share the same code.
The main issues would be from interference between the storyline and certain sidequests.

For example, the Bartolomeu storyline has a somewhat custom version of "The Silver Train".
But as ANSEL already noted for Jack Sparrow, the generic characters used for that sidequest were still there.
So there is a good chance that would apply to Bartolomeu too.

I have to admit that my first thought was that there was something wrong with the new version. I looked at "error.log", found the piece of code which appeared to have triggered the error, commented it out, ran the game and loaded up my savegame again, it still crashed, so I looked at "error.log", found the piece of code which appeared to have triggered the error, commented it out, ran the game and loaded up the savegame, it crashed again, and at that point I decided to try (a) a full install (previously I'd deselected "Main files" so it should only have installed updates) and (b) a whole new game. Whether there's something wrong with selecting updates only or whether the old savegame was incompatible with the new version I'm not certain, but it works now. By the way, when I do a full install, I mean full - it may not be necessary but I don't take chances, I uninstall the old game entirely and reinstall the basic game from CD, then run the latest Build 14 installer. Whatever caused the problem, this sledgehammer approach fixed it. :D

LOL! :cheeky

I did test the Beta 3.5 EXE installer both as a completely clean install and by installing on top of Beta 3.4 and the result was exactly the same.

One trick you may want to try is to ZIP up your stock game files. Extracting a ZIP is much faster than installing from CD and is just as clean.

Cool! I wouldn't expect there to be any major issues with the generic ones. If they work in one storyline, they should work in all because they completely share the same code.
The main issues would be from interference between the storyline and certain sidequests.

For example, the Bartolomeu storyline has a somewhat custom version of "The Silver Train".
But as ANSEL already noted for Jack Sparrow, the generic characters used for that sidequest were still there.
So there is a good chance that would apply to Bartolomeu too.
I haven't got that far yet. But the custom version of "The Silver Train" did work correctly under the previous version. What didn't work correctly was where you have to board the Anaconda, kill some guards in the first cargo hold and talk to a crewmember in the second cargo hold, because said crewmember didn't have a dialog file assigned. I fixed that by editing "quests_reaction.c" to give him his dialog file. Apparently the problem was that the same crewmember is treated differently for side quest purposes, which overrode what the "Bartolomeu" storyline should do with him, so I'll see if it works correctly under the latest version when I get to that part. Which should be fairly soon, as Pedro Rivera has just gone off with the Santiago and I've now got Eugene Martin's ketch.

I haven't got that far yet. But the custom version of "The Silver Train" did work correctly under the previous version.
I would expect the custom one to still work. But the generic one's main characters need to be removed too, which probably isn't the case just yet.

What didn't work correctly was where you have to board the Anaconda, kill some guards in the first cargo hold and talk to a crewmember in the second cargo hold, because said crewmember didn't have a dialog file assigned. I fixed that by editing "quests_reaction.c" to give him his dialog file. Apparently the problem was that the same crewmember is treated differently for side quest purposes, which overrode what the "Bartolomeu" storyline should do with him, so I'll see if it works correctly under the latest version when I get to that part. Which should be fairly soon, as Pedro Rivera has just gone off with the Santiago and I've now got Eugene Martin's ketch.
If I recall, I didn't include your fix for that but instead changed the initialization order of the characters so that the storyline character is used instead of the sidequest one like before.
So it should actually work properly again now. Will be great to have that confirmed though! :cheers

Last edited:
This is almost certainly linked to whatever went wrong with the quest. Something has tried to update the questbook and failed.

Did you start a new game after installing the newest version, or did you continue a previous savegame? I originally tried continuing a previous savegame, which appeared to work at first, though I never got as far as progressing any quest because I ran into a different problem - the game crashed whenever I tried to get a sword polished by a blacksmith. After I'd started a new game and got to the point of polishing the same sword at the same blacksmith, it worked correctly.
No, I dont start a new game. I turned the SVG number back to 14.913 and and use the old savegame.

More tests in the "Bartolomeu" storyline:
At La Tortue before Bartolomeu is scheduled to meet Henry Morgan for the custom "Silver Train" quest, if you talk to the tavern keeper and ask about work, he says there's nothing. There is no option for either Henry Morgan or Will Turner. And Will Turner's house is locked, so even if he's present, you're not going to see him.

At Cayman, Peter Blood is in the tavern but if you talk to him, he says that he can't help you and you can't help him, effectively disabling the normal crew rescue side quest. And for some reason the Elizabeth Shaw disappearance quest is also disabled, so when you talk to the governor (who isn't Shaw in this period anyway) and ask about business, you just get a normal ship-hunting quest instead.

At La Tortue before Bartolomeu is scheduled to meet Henry Morgan for the custom "Silver Train" quest, if you talk to the tavern keeper and ask about work, he says there's nothing. There is no option for either Henry Morgan or Will Turner. And Will Turner's house is locked, so even if he's present, you're not going to see him.
It could be that Bartolomeu actually DID disable that one properly in his sidequest and it is only the Jack Sparrow one where the door is left unlocked.
In that case, the Bartolomeu code would need to be copied to Jack Sparrow to achieve the same result.

At Cayman, Peter Blood is in the tavern but if you talk to him, he says that he can't help you and you can't help him, effectively disabling the normal crew rescue side quest.
I wonder if he should be removed altogether? His presense might be a bit confusing.

And for some reason the Elizabeth Shaw disappearance quest is also disabled, so when you talk to the governor (who isn't Shaw in this period anyway) and ask about business, you just get a normal ship-hunting quest instead.
If I recall, that is on purpose because @Bartolomeu o Portugues requested it. Check the Bartolomeu StartStoryline.c and you'll probbaly find the responsible lines there for disabling it.
The reason is probably because the character of Davy Jones actually makes an appearance during the Bartolomeu Storyline and having a generic sidequest available that deals with him might mess things up.

Back