• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Sidequests for Additional Storylines

I played the Peter Blood side quest last night and ran into some trouble. This has always worked for me in the past but this time......... After we rescued his crew and left town we talked and then were attacked by soldiers. Well, we were also attacked by random thugs. That wasn't the problem but when the last soldier was killed we put away our swords like we were going to talk while still being attacked by the robbers or whatever. I died.
Restarted and this time and the natives were friendly and after killing the soldiers we went on our merry way. Is there supposed to be any dialog there?

My vague memory says that there is indeed supposed to be dialog there.

To prevent such problems, the .vcskip attribute is supposed to be added to prevent unwanted characters during quest scenes.
But that hasn't always been dilligently done by the quest writers as this is easy to forget about. :facepalm

This fix may have a huge impact on the sidequests: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/sidequest-characters-override-storyline-ones.24994/
I think this makes no difference for most storylines. But for any ones that have interference between sidequest and storyline characters, this should solve most of it.
This definitely applied heavily to the Bartolomeu storyline, which hopefully will behave itself properly now again.

However, I strongly suspect issues with the Jack Sparrow storyline even after applying this change.
So if anyone has the chance, please try all paths and sidequests in Hoist the Colours and let me know if anything doesn't work the way it should!

@Talisman, your advice would be much appreciated here.
Which sidequests have a custom Jack Sparrow version and should therefore have their generic versions disabled?

As per the next upload, Edgar Attwood will also be available in ALL storylines and not just the Standard one.
That completes this particular project.

I also put some code in place to disable various generic sidequests in the Jack Sparrow storyline where a custom version is available for those.
So hopefully that will also be working properly now. But there's only one way to find out.... Anyone care to test Jack Sparrow?

Also, the Wiki is now no longer up-to-date. Here's to hoping @Talisman can make the required updates. :cheeky

This section of code I set up a few days back might clarify a bit on the Jack Sparrow sidequest situation:
Code:
  // PB: Sidequests -->

// Ammand the Corsair - Help the Church
     // Custom version of Help the Church sidequest
     // Start is OK (I think)
     // immediately available

// Capt Chevalle - Rescue his Crew
     // Custom version of regular Peter Blood sidequest, without Search for Peter Bloods Ship extension
     DeleteAttribute(PChar, "Bartolomeu");
     DeleteAttribute(PChar, "Bart_start");
     DeleteAttribute(PChar, "Santiago");
     DeleteAttribute(PChar, "Santiago_start");
     // enabled in case "storm_complete"

// Gentleman Jocard - A Slaver - Free the Slaves
     // Custom version of Artois Voysey/Nigel Blythe sidequest
     DeleteAttribute(PChar, "Install_Voysey_And_Blythe");
     DeleteAttribute(&Locations[FindLocation("QC_town")],"vcskip");

// Lucas the Admirals Son
     // Custom version of Find the missing son of the Spanish Admiral sidequest
     PChar.quest.Lucas = "";
     PChar.quest.Luc_start.win_condition.l1 = "location";
     PChar.quest.Luc_start.win_condition.l1.character = PChar.id;
     PChar.quest.Luc_start.win_condition.l1.location = "Santo_Domingo_townhall";
     PChar.quest.Luc_start.win_condition = "Luc_start";
     // immediately available

// Justine Le Moigne
     // Custom version of Elizabeth Shaw’s Disappearance sidequest
     PChar.quest.Firstcontact = "";
     PChar.quest.Contact_start.win_condition.l1 = "location";
     PChar.quest.Contact_start.win_condition.l1.character = PChar.id;
     PChar.quest.Contact_start.win_condition.l1.location = "Falaise_de_Fleur_townhall";
     PChar.quest.Contact_start.win_condition = "Contact_start";
     // immediately available

// Sao Feng's Missing Bodyguards
     // Custom version of Strange Things going on in the Caribbean (Animists) sidequest
     ChangeCharacterAddress(characterFromID("Rian Dekkers"), "none", "");
     ChangeCharacterAddress(characterFromID("Janneke Blinkerhof"), "none", "");
     ChangeCharacterAddress(characterFromID("Lisebet Schefold"), "none", "");

// Sri Sumbhajee Angria – Saving Askays Brother
     // Custom version of Saving Toff's Daughter sidequest
     ChangeCharacterAddress(characterFromID("Toff Oremans"), "none", "");
     pchar.quest.spanish_soldier_alone.win_condition.l1 = "locator";
     pchar.quest.spanish_soldier_alone.win_condition.l1.location = "Havana_town_02";
     pchar.quest.spanish_soldier_alone.win_condition.l1.locator_group = "reload";
     pchar.quest.spanish_soldier_alone.win_condition.l1.locator = "reload18";
     pchar.quest.spanish_soldier_alone.win_condition = "spanish_soldier_alone";
     // immediately available

// Villanueva - Help Two Pirates
     // Custom version of The Silver Train sidequest
     DeleteAttribute(PChar, "Jackpot");
     DeleteAttribute(PChar, "Jackpot_start");
   // PB: Sidequests  <--
Everything listed here is a custom version of a generic sidequest.
So the custom version should be available, but the generic ones have had their start disabled.

However, I strongly suspect issues with the Jack Sparrow storyline even after applying this change.

So if anyone has the chance, please try all paths and sidequests in Hoist the Colours and let me know if anything doesn't work the way it should!

@Talisman, your advice would be much appreciated here.

Which sidequests have a custom Jack Sparrow version and should therefore have their generic versions disabled?

Jack Sparrow Sidequests ( Pirate Lord Quests )

Lucas & Justine La Moigne rescue --- this is based on Find the Missing son of the Spanish Admiral & Elizabeth Shaw's Disappearance sidequests --- don't know if it will cause any interference - is Billy Brock one of the people who kidnaps Lucas in Jack Sparrow ( can't remember ) since Brock appears in the main Sparrow story and there is no Problem - Brock is a character in the Find the Missing son of the Spanish Admiral sidequest

Capt Chevalle - Rescue his Crew - --- based on Rescue Bartolomeu's ( Peter Blood) Crew sidequest

Villanueva - Help Two Pirates ----- Based on French Pirate in the Tavern / The Silver Train sidequests

Sao Feng - Missing Bodyguards ( incl Ammand Help the church) ----- based on Strange Things Going on in the Caribbean ( incl Help the Church) sidequest

Gentleman Jocard - Slaver- Free the slaves ---- based on Artoios Voisey / Nigel Blythe sidequests

Also --- In the Curse of the Black Pearl part of the Main Jack Sparrow Story - you have the option instead of stealing the Interceptor, to sail with Norrington to Turks and meet Peter Boelen ( don't know if this will interfere with Help the Turks Island Settlement sidequest )

Also In Assassin Story - does / would the Hard Labours of an Assassin sidequest interfere with the Worm in the Apple section of the Main Story - since it is a variation/copy of that sidequest. :shrug

:read

Villanueva - Help Two Pirates ----- Based on French Pirate in the Tavern / The Silver Train sidequests
Is that one based on the Claire Larousse one as well? If so, I'll still need to disable that one for Jack Sparrow.

Also --- In the Curse of the Black Pearl part of the Main Jack Sparrow Story - you have the option instead of stealing the Interceptor, to sail with Norrington to Turks and meet Peter Boelen ( don't know if this will interfere with Help the Turks Island Settlement sidequest )
That does sound very likely. Will need to be tested to be sure.

Also In Assassin Story - does / would the Hard Labours of an Assassin sidequest interfere with the Worm in the Apple section of the Main Story - since it is a variation/copy of that sidequest. :shrug
Forgot about that one! Indeed that does also need to be disabled.

On second thought, I didn't find traces of the Claire Larousse quest in Jack Sparrow yet, so that looks to be OK.
And the Hitman sidequest already was disabled in Assassin, so I don't actually need to make any further changes.

Main issue will probably be the use of the Pieter Boelen character and possibly the Konrad Kulckzycky one too.

Is that one based on the Claire Larousse one as well? If so, I'll still need to disable that one for Jack Sparrow.

I thought that the Silver Train Quest was a adaption / modded version of Claire Larousse ( both go chasing after supply Train of silver) :shrug

New update now available: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-3-5-internal-wip-for-testing.24817/
This includes all sidequest changes. So as far as I'm concerned, everything should be working as intended.

I do still suspect some interference in the Jack Sparrow storyline, but hopefully that can be tested soon so that I'll know what needs fixing.
And of course if any other storyline/sidequest interference issues come to light, I'd definitely want to know so we can take care of those too.
I thought that the Silver Train Quest was a adaption / modded version of Claire Larousse ( both go chasing after supply Train of silver) :shrug
Perhaps @Bartolomeu o Portugues took some inspiration from Claire, but it is pretty much its own unique sidequest. :yes

Perhaps @Bartolomeu o Portugues took some inspiration from Claire, but it is pretty much its own unique sidequest. :yes

Are you confusing the Silver Train section in the main Bartolomeu Quest - with the Silver Train side quest (with Will Turner & Eliz Swann ) -- or am I the one confused

I think they are all modded versions of Claire Larousse

The Silver Train Side quest ( with Will Turner & Eliz Swann ) will certainly need to be disabled in Jack Sparrow Main Story ( might cause real problems with those characters) :yes:rofl

:duel:

Are you confusing the Silver Train section in the main Bartolomeu Quest - with the Silver Train side quest (with Will Turner & Eliz Swann ) -- or am I the one confused

I think they are all modded versions of Claire Larousse
The Silver Train sidequest is at least independently coded from the Claire Larousse one so there should be no interference between the two.
Indeed Bartolomeu's Silver Train sidequest is also a part of his storyline.

The Silver Train Side quest ( with Will Turner & Eliz Swann ) will certainly need to be disabled in Jack Sparrow Main Story ( might cause real problems with those characters) :yes:rofl
That one is indeed already disabled. :yes

The Silver Train side quest, whether the specific quest in the "Bartolomeu o Portugues" storyline involving Henry Morgan or the general side quest available to other storylines involving Will Turner, has nothing to do with Claire Larousse. Claire's quest involves raiding an English silver shipment on Barbados and proceeds in a completely different manner to the Morgan / Turner quest, which takes place on Petit Tabac and in which your target is a Spanish silver shipment.

Having said that, Claire Larousse doesn't seem to be available to Bartolomeu. I didn't bother looking earlier because I had plenty of other things going on, but I was in San Juan tavern recently and Claire Larousse wasn't. I figured it might be because she disappears if you haven't taken her quest for a long time, but maybe her quest is actively disabled for some reason.

The Will Turner Silver Train quest seems to be identical to the Henry Morgan version featured in the "Bartolomeu" storyline, apart from the characters involved. Will Turner's version seems to be disabled because the lead-in is when you go to the tavern at La Tortue and ask the barkeeper if there is anyone looking for a captain. In "Bartolomeu" he then tells you about Henry Morgan (at the appropriate point in the storyline); in other storylines he tells you about Will Turner.

The Silver Train side quest, whether the specific quest in the "Bartolomeu o Portugues" storyline involving Henry Morgan or the general side quest available to other storylines involving Will Turner, has nothing to do with Claire Larousse. Claire's quest involves raiding an English silver shipment on Barbados and proceeds in a completely different manner to the Morgan / Turner quest, which takes place on Petit Tabac and in which your target is a Spanish silver shipment.
Yup, that sounds correct. :yes

Having said that, Claire Larousse doesn't seem to be available to Bartolomeu. I didn't bother looking earlier because I had plenty of other things going on, but I was in San Juan tavern recently and Claire Larousse wasn't. I figured it might be because she disappears if you haven't taken her quest for a long time, but maybe her quest is actively disabled for some reason.
That is quite odd; I don't remember that one being disabled in any storyline.
Is her Privateer ship still moored at the jetty in Puerto Rico port? Do you have a savegame with her missing in the San Juan tavern?

The Will Turner Silver Train quest seems to be identical to the Henry Morgan version featured in the "Bartolomeu" storyline, apart from the characters involved. Will Turner's version seems to be disabled because the lead-in is when you go to the tavern at La Tortue and ask the barkeeper if there is anyone looking for a captain. In "Bartolomeu" he then tells you about Henry Morgan (at the appropriate point in the storyline); in other storylines he tells you about Will Turner.
Right again. Bartolomeu made a slightly custom version of the Silver Train sidequest for his own storyline.
In similar fashion, the Bartolomeu sidequest is now always the Peter Blood sidequest. The only place where it is still Bartolomeu is in the actual storyline.
Still the same quest with almost the same code though. :yes

I have started to test the HTC storyline. If they work in the Ming line, can I be sure they will be
OK. in the Brock line too?

I think that's a fair bet. I'm more concerned about Minds because that one contains the possible conflict characters.

Thanks @ANSEL!

Well, the game crash when im standing on the deck of" Dauntless", just before
swapping ship with Norrington. This is at the point in the game where you have
to talk with "Henry the Beggar" and choose one of three options.The game crash
when you choose option "Steal the Interceptor".
Then I took the option "Talk to Governor" , Finished the main story, and the sidequests
"Help the Church" and "Saving Askays Brother". It all works OK to now.

Attachments

• error.log
    646 bytes · Views: 109
  • compile.log
    18.1 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Back