• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Single Setting for Pistol Sounds Volume

Ok I have made a switch in Internalsettings.h:
set ENABLE_WEAKER_PISTOL_SOUNDS to 1 and all pistol sounds are much weaker.
For the Musket the new (weaker) musket sound is played instead.

Default = 0 which means loud as earlier.

If you think the weak sounds are to weak I can fix that.
:guns:

Attachments

• JRH switch volume pistol sounds 26 jan 2015.7z
    396 KB · Views: 108
@Pillat, any thoughts on that?

If at all possible, I would like to maintain one selection of sounds without a toggle.
I am admittedly not entirely clear on why it is difficult to have sounds that are loud, but not too loud. :confused:

I just didn't had the time to normalize the sounds thats all :D I will reduce Jack's sounds to a non-clipping level and will increase my musket sound to a quite same level ;)

I will reduce Jack's sounds to a non-clipping level
No thanks I'm quite happy with my LOUD sounds as they are.:D
The reasons are:

1) I and as it seems more people are used to and like the pistols sounds as they are.
2) some of the pistol sounds are for Quest weapons in my Quests. They are exactly as I want them.
3) some pistol sounds are also used for other effects in combination with other sounds. I don't want those carefully
chosen sound mixes to be changed at all.

SO I made a switch for you Pillat. Isn't that enough?

Since this is kind of on the subjects of muskets. Cannot remember what the situation was but, why is it every time a soldier or your character fires a musket, it never seems to go back on their back and even when loading into new areas it remains there?

I know if you just use the F11 command, when entering a new area it will reset to the normal position but it is kind of an annoying visual thing haha :p (Me being picky and OCD :S)

Uhm Jack.. since those sounds where your sounds in the first place, if you want to keep them, then keep them^^ I'll just change those sounds for myself^^

Thanks Pillat, maybe you should test the switch I made for you. It plays the sounds at a lower volume indeed.
And Andouce it's a bad mod - I made it.

Is there anything to be said for Pillat posting his modified volumes as well?
Who knows, could the result be something that everyone could be happy with?
We can at least try and find out.

I know, I know.... Wishful thinking again. :facepalm

Thanks Pillat, maybe you should test the switch I made for you. It plays the sounds at a lower volume indeed.
And Andouce it's a bad mod - I made it.

Ah I see. I shall leave it at that then :p As for these musket sounds, I have to say I do slightly prefer the newer sounds as it distinguishes clearly the difference between a pistol and a musket. The old sound was a bit, well, deep and just not my preference. Anyway, you guys continue debating, I shall fade into the background once more until I feel I have something else to ask, question, discuss or generally pester the hell out of you all :O :S

Is there anything to be said for Pillat posting his modified volumes as well?
Who knows, could the result be something that everyone could be happy with?
We can at least try and find out.

I know, I know.... Wishful thinking again. :facepalm

I've got my finals going till friday.. so I just have time for minor things, like the quick adding of the shore, but after Friday I got time, and then I see what I can do ;) Maybe I can even reduce the distortion of the old sounds and compress them to get even (feeled) louder, without let them go disturbing ;)

I've got my finals going till friday.. so I just have time for minor things, like the quick adding of the shore, but after Friday I got time, and then I see what I can do ;) Maybe I can even reduce the distortion of the old sounds and compress them to get even (feeled) louder, without let them go disturbing ;)
I wish you every bit of luck with that! :onya

@Jack Rackham: Just getting around to actually installing the new stuff into my game and noticed this:
Code:
    if (ENABLE_WEAKER_PISTOL_SOUNDS == 1)
     {
       //JRH
       Play3DSound(weapon.sound, u, v, w);
     }
     else PlaySound( weapon.sound );
But I'm not sure why that contains the same line three times.... :oops:

Play3DSound( gives a weaker sound but it was too weak.
So multiple lines sets the volume. Add another one if it's still too weak...

nope, I was on a really needed vacation the last 2 weeks, but I am quite sure that I will have the time to look at it in the next few weeks ;)

The problem is, as I said I like the sounds the way they are. And I'm not the only one.
Also I use them for other quest effects.
I made a toggle for you to enable weaker pistol sounds.

Now if you change the sounds to a lower volume I think you too should make it
possible to choose between the 2 volume levels. In some way.

No one should have to
I'll just change those sounds for myself
Not you - not me. Fair enough?

From what I understand, the point is to have a reasonable progression between volumes and not have the muskets suddenly many times louder than any other weapon.

I just want to know what Pillat has in mind, so welcome him trying. Either it'll work or it won't.
Perhaps what he has in mind isn't even so far away from your own thoughts. :shrug

Back