• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Single Setting for Pistol Sounds Volume

Jack Rackham

ex train dispatcher
Quest Writer
Storm Modder
I notice that the pistol_musket sound is changed. Maybe the new one is a good sound.
However there was an idea behind the pistol sounds. With the Musket being the heaviest weapon making
the most damage I thought it logical the sound should be the loudest.

Now it isn't.

I thought we discussed this openly a few weeks back and agreed to do this?

Pillat had a nice sound to use, but I didn't want to drop your sounds either. So I figured to keep the loudest noise for the musketoon,
since that fires grapeshot at multiple enemies which at least in my mind should sound the loudest.

There's one more thing. I have used the old pistol_musket sound in my quests in several places.
I still want that effect as it was.

I think if the majority prefers the new sound for the musket please rename it to pistol_musket2.wav
and change it in initItems too. And put the old one back again. For me.

I think the new one could even be better if the volume would be turned up a little. :onya

Alternatively, I could do a search-and-replace on pistol_musket.wav in your storyline folders and make it use your preferred file again.
Either way has the same effect.

How different is the old musket sound from the current musketoon sound? To me they sounded quite alike.

I think the new one could even be better if the volume would be turned up a little. :onya
Pillat didn't want to turn deaf while using the musket. ;)

I have made the change I suggested but have not turned the volume up for the new sound.

Attachments

• JRH musket sound fix 21 jan 2015.7z
    358.7 KB · Views: 97
I'd rather suggest to normalize your old musket sounds, Jack^^ They are disturbingly loud and have way too high gain and have a quite high distortion.. making sounds loud is only in little values good, otherwise it will always overdrive, which is nice for a guitar sound, but has nothing to do in a soundfile :no So I'd prefer to adjust the new musket sound to a slightly higher db level, while decreasing your old sounds, so they have rougly the same volume.. is that ok with you?

Ok Pillat but then you have to change all of them to make the difference between them alright. :shrug

I have thought about it and I
1 really don't mind if you're trying to make my pistol sounds better
2 am a little scared that I 'll always from now on will feel that the pistol sounds are too weak
3 we have to take into count that the players are used to this volume level

so I suggest we make a compromize here Pillat:
if you change all pistol sounds please choose a volume level something between our ideas?

2. Weak because they are not that loud but therefore with more detail?? IMO, a 'strong' sound comes from good defined bass and treble.. as I said, making a sound loud just makes it distort, and to be honest, the old sounds sound for me like some bad misfire from a car engine :D

3. Well but all sounds for the entire game should be somehow relative at the same volume imo.. I hate it when I play with headphones and all sounds are good, and I am playing on a pleasant volume.. and then in a boarding situation someone shoots a musketoon.. and my eardrum is about to tear .. a slightly louder sound is ok, but I don't think that this difference in sound volumes is good at all

I agree, the new musket sound could need a bit more volume, but imo those old sounds are WAY too loud/noisy
And I really dont want to change all sounds.. quite all of them are nice and have a good volume setting.. I only speak about the new musket sound, which is still a bit quiet, and the old ones, which are louder than everything else in the game (a musket that fires louder as a cannon?)

Indeed all sound volumes should make sense in relation to the others.
If only the gun sounds have a mismatch with the rest of the game, I'd reckon those should indeed be adjusted.
We can maintain Jack's wish of having the musket be the loudest compared to the other pistols.

Why don't you try something that seems right to you and see if Jack agrees?
If he doesn't, you can always pump up the differences a bit.

(a musket that fires louder as a cannon?)
Yeah yeah I knew you should take up that. The way I see it there are 2 different scales.
Handguns should be compared to each other.

I'm interested in what other players think:
Do you feel the pistols sounds should be much weaker, a little weaker or at the volume they are?

As far as I'm concerned, you should hear them all at a reasonable volume in the game. Neither excessively loud nor so soft that you hardly notice. :shrug

Having fired lots of firearms from flintlocks to 40mm grenade launchers I like the POTC gun sounds. They SHOULD be loud. After all there is gunpowder exploding in the things!

I also like the way the musket sound bigger than the pistols, because it is bigger.

Pillat, before you put in too much work on those sounds:
I have an idea which maybe can make both of us happy without compromizes.
As I'm not at home I can try it first on monday.

Two sets of sounds? That should be avoidable, no?

As far as I'm concerned, I agree with all the following ideas:
- Firearms can have loud sounds with larger pistols having louder sounds
- Firearms should not be so loud that they're exceptionally more noisy than anything else in the scene

That should be quite possible, right? :confused:

Back